DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another "Mavic 2" leaked image

should the competition be worried? I think the swappable gimbal and camera assembly would appeal to a lot of people. if you crash it and damage the gimbal/camera, just buy a replacement. No fiddling with ribbons.
I don't think I'll get it though. I've got a Spark and MP, plus accessories and DJI Googles, I don't have time to fly another drone.

Being able to use the camera as a hand held gimbal is a nice idea, even if you already have a gopro or similar, one less thing to carry.
That concept was the one thing Karma had going for it.

Ideally it would run on your part used Mavic battery

Reactions: FMR
Hand held gimbal directly competes with their osmo. Doesnt seem like sense to me.
The trick is to have the things people want to buy. But make them buy all your stuff

Hand held gimbal directly competes with their osmo. Doesnt seem like sense to me.
The trick is to have the things people want to buy. But make them buy all your stuff
It will make more sense if they release different type of cameras that can be upgrade if you have the money. That will be really cool!

Reactions: DesertDan
I don't trust the picture... Looks more like a modified mavic pro 1 instead of having an unique look as a new aircraft.
What in "Mavic Pro 2" would make you expect a "unique look as a new aircraft" instead of just an iteration of the same design... like, you know, the 10 or so phantoms?

Reactions: conchman
The idea of a removable camera is cool and definitely appeals to me.
The only problem I see is that it would have learned nothing from the better protected gimbal of the MA, although the gimbal/camera certainly does looks beefier.

Long-time lurker here with a MP. Like many, MANY other folks, I've been studying the latest image that was leaked and as a long-time, reasonably-experienced Photoshopper, my opinion of the authenticity of the image is, it's the real thing. I find no artifacts that would indicate editing of any kind.

Others have mentioned all the important details...camera, gimbal, controller, etc., but someone had asked why you can't see the rear struts. Obviously, part of that problem is the angle of the shot. However, in the comparison image below, I have circled what I think is part of the left rear strut so I believe they're extended. I also think that the low vantage point obscures the right rear strut.

Taking a look at the struts themselves and where the prop blade extends on the Mavic 2 appears to indicate that the struts might be a little longer based on where the standard props terminate relative to the strut. The original front Mavic props go all the way to the body of the aircraft while the Mavic 2 right front prop barely gets to the silver stripe.

I also noticed the silver rings around the base of the motors that are absent on the MP. And the diameter of the Mavic 2 motors seems to be about an eighth of an inch larger.

It has also been mentioned that the original MP had "MAVIC PRO" partially over the stripe while in the leaked image, it's beyond the stripe. I don't think this is significant other than to say that I believe the original design was flawed as "Ma" is obscurred by the stripes so they decided to make "Mavic 2" much more legible.

Consequently, I believe this is a legit image whether from China or someone in the US who got an early test bird. I LOVE the LARGE camera and gimble and if it is in fact a one-inch sensor and they do offer two models, I would absolutely, positively go for the higher end one just for that camera.

Comparison photo follows...

KiloMikeBravo

mavic-pro-compared-to-mavic-2-photo.jpg

Last edited:
However if you're not a Droner than yep you're going to continue to buy osmo

Another leaked Mavic picture today, this one with "Mavic 2" branding.

074e3774a0a7b1e82e6bce33c0a2cc0230e6fff92dda1935cce2f609279fffb2.jpg

Source: Class1f1edLive on Twitter

Since I'm on my lunch hour, here's what I see and think:
  • removable gimbal and camera
  • side-mounted sensors
  • non-low-noise propellers
  • removable camera in the lower left, looks like a smaller sensor than is mounted in the Mavic
  • Apple Lightning connector on the removable camera in the lower left
  • new transmitter with removable sticks (middle of left edge)
  • new power button on battery
"Mavic 2" with smaller sensor, "Mavic Pro 2" or "Mavic 2 Pro" for the larger sensor? If they go this route, hopefully the only difference is the camera module. It would be a shame if some non-camera features were locked to the "Pro" version.
20180708_055050.jpg

Long-time lurker here with a MP. Like many, MANY other folks, I've been studying the latest image that was leaked and as a long-time, reasonably-experienced Photoshopper, my opinion of the authenticity of the image is, it's the real thing. I find no artifacts that would indicate editing of any kind.

Others have mentioned all the important details...camera, gimbal, controller, etc., but someone had asked why you can't see the rear struts. Obviously, part of that problem is the angle of the shot. However, in the comparison image below, I have circled what I think is part of the left rear strut so I believe they're extended. I also think that the low vantage point obscures the right rear strut.

Taking a look at the struts themselves and where the prop blade extends on the Mavic 2 appears to indicate that the struts might be a little longer based on where the standard props terminate relative to the strut. The original front Mavic props go all the way to the body of the aircraft while the Mavic 2 right front prop barely gets to the silver stripe.

I also noticed the silver rings around the base of the motors that are absent on the MP. And the diameter of the Mavic 2 motors seems to be about an eighth of an inch larger.

Consequently, I believe this is a legit image whether from China or someone in the US who got an early test bird. I LOVE the LARGE camera and gimble and if it is in fact a one-inch sensor and they do offer two models, I would absolutely, positively go for the higher end one just for that camera.

Comparison photo follows...

KiloMikeBravo

View attachment 41549
Totally agree legit it is **
Emphasis with the desire to swap out gimbal accessory unit for camera sensor preference..Brilliant.
Would be a good move by DJI being more flexible as with other Brands .
Seriously makes good sense less stuffing around for their R&D team one main Mavic 2 Drone specification improvement model with interchangeable Gimbal spec'd Camera with Sensor variable
Brilliant for the consumer

If you follow the top edge of the drone's right arm towards the body I think you get a peek at the right rear prop. The shadow you see under the right forward sensor seems correct, especially if you study the shadow for the front left prop and consider that the right rear prop's blade is probably parallel (from the angle the shot was taken) to the front right arm.

Something I noticed about the front arms is that right below the motors there are what look like vertical rubber bumpers. When folded, I'm guessing these help protect the rear end of the drone from scuffs, which means they likely stand a bit proud of the body when folded. That might give an idea of folded size.

It looks like it has a lot of design around cooling as well. In the shot you can see a forward facing scoop right behind the camera, and one on the left side of the drone. That'll probably help improving cooling a lot. Not that that's hard to do compared to the original.

Then there's the camera - it appears as though its more forward than the MP which might also mean it has more range vertically. That could be good and bad though, as you'll likely see more lens flare as a result. There have been times where I've cursed my MP for not being able to look up just a bit more, and any improvement there would be great.

Regarding overall size, I think it's possible that it's not as big as suggested. Consider the lightning connector in the foreground, then consider the phone in the hand of someone in the background. Those alone don't help much, but there's another thing to compare - the forward sensors/cameras. If they used the same size sensors/cameras and the drone was bigger than the MP, they'd look at a lot smaller in the new drone. Of course, they could be using totally different parts for the forward sensors too, but given that that the current ones work pretty well I can't see them justifying using larger ones. That's total speculation though.

One thing I'll miss a little is the rear feet on the body. On the MP, they are loops, perfectly sized for a Velcro strap. It's proven useful for me a few times. The new feet are solid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut