DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another "Mavic 2" leaked image

Agreed that swapping cameras would be cool. Throw in a regular, 360, maybe even a 3D.
But otherwise I'm not sold.

If you look at their overall evolution of the drones you see they are constantly moving towards protecting the camera more and more.

This one's big time exposed.

If it’s legit, I’m not a fan of rounded edges. But a easily replaceable gimbal/ removable for hand use like the Karma is interesting. Or it’s all malarkey lol
Provided, that most "leaked" images and rumors are sourced directly from PR teams of companies (it's a standard method of marketing), this outlook, unfortunately, with high probability can be legit.

Great write up, Buff snd you made some very good points. I considered attempting to determine the size of the front sensors as well. But, I wound up having to measure way too many things without even knowing if I had my image scaled correctly to the leaked image. So you may very well be correct that Mavic 2 is very nearly equal in size to the Mavic Pro.

Meanwhile, regarding the solid foot landing gear in back, surely you have a Dremel tool.

KB

Being able to use the camera as a hand held gimbal is a nice idea, even if you already have a gopro or similar, one less thing to carry.
That concept was the one thing Karma had going for it
This removable camera idea originally came from Yuneec, 3yrs ago on their Q500 Typhoon. However the implementation wasn't very good IMO, but it worked.

Ewwww, is that really iJustines fingers, wow, I'm gonna lose sleep over this now :(

Something I noticed about the front arms is that right below the motors there are what look like vertical rubber bumpers. When folded, I'm guessing these help protect the rear end of the drone from scuffs, which means they likely stand a bit proud of the body when folded. That might give an idea of folded size.

What you think may be vertical rubber bumpers appear to me to be the LED position lights for the drone.

On one hand I couldn't imagine DJI sticking to the boxy and rather rudimentary design of the MP and just polishing it. But on the other hand, if we compare all of the Phantom generations, there isn't much of a difference there either. These quads all look alike and just become a bit more streamlined over the years. The photo is definitely not a modified MP because its proportions seem off (such as the forward sensors or air intake), so I'd guess this could be the real deal. As for the gimbal, It's strange that it would still be exposed like that, though it seems to look a lot more rugged than the original.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is an intentional leak from DJI to hype it up. The photo just looks a little too composed for what I'm concerned, with the smaller gimbal in the corner, the robot in the back and the finger nails that everyone jumps on. I mean, with the clarity of the photo, I doubt it would be hard to notice for the people at the table that someone was taking it, not to mention how easy it would be for DJI to track down the leaker. Usually leaked photos look a lot more hastily taken due to the secretive nature of it.

Radio controlled truck in the back left?
Could it be a removable Camera/Gimbal that goes on the drone, hand held or on a programmable truck for ground dolly work?

Mike

As for the gimbal, It's strange that it would still be exposed like that, though it seems to look a lot more rugged than the original.

People keep saying how the Mavic Pro gimbal is too exposed. It certainly looks exposed and fragile, but I have not heard of many people breaking the gimbal

Reactions: JoostGT3
but I have not heard of many people breaking the gimbal

I’m guessing you have not searched the words “gimbal” and “problem” in this forum. From personal experience, and reading hundreds of posts in this forum, the gimbal is the weakest component in the Mavic Pro, often damaged in relatively minor mishaps when the rest of the bird is unscathed.

Whether "protected" or not, a sturdier redesign of the MP gimbal is a must before I will drop another 1.5 k plus on another MP.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting!
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 5.18.03 PM.png

People keep saying how the Mavic Pro gimbal is too exposed. It certainly looks exposed and fragile, but I have not heard of many people breaking the gimbal
From a couple stores I've seen a MP on display, 2 had the gimbal removed, something I didn't encounter on any other quads shown. Not to mention the plenty of photo's I've seen with snapped gimbals from even the slightest crashes, if it was even a crash that caused it to begin with. I think it's quite known here that the original gimbal design is indeed fragile and worth improving upon.

I mean its fragile, but it gives you motivation to be a better pilot. The best defense against a fragile gimbal is to not crash in the first place.

Reactions: wreckinball

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin