DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another mavic 2 pro gone off grid

I asked a rather simple question and you didn't answer it, so I'm going to leave it at that. If you decide that you do want help then I'd be happy to revisit the question.
I thought I made myself completely clear. There is no txt or Dat files to be found in my app or crystal sky on or before the date of loss. And I answered your question in the thread above. My response was direct in the fact that if you have additional information that could help me out. I’d be more than happy to listen

I thought I made myself completely clear. There is no txt or Dat files to be found in my app or crystal sky on or before the date of loss. And I answered your question in the thread above. My response was direct in the fact that if you have additional information that could help me out. I’d be more than happy to listen

No - you answered my question with a question, which was not helpful. I have no idea at all how well you understand how to retrieve txt or DAT files, or which guidance you followed. The app file structure contains numerous directories of various types of file, and this forum is full of examples of users looking in completely the wrong place and either not finding the files or posting the wrong files. Your terse and uninformative posts gave no indication of whether that was the case here. Good luck resolving your problem.

I think your choice is the strange one.
Why would you want your drone to just sit where it is and has no signal when it's programmed to come back where you have a much higher chance of regaining signal?
Failsafe RTH is extremely reliable .. you should test it sometime.

It wasn't on the Mavic Pro, Karma, 3DR Solo, etc. I so rarely lose signal and it's a simple matter to head towards the drone until it picks up again. Are you saying that drones are never lost to RTH anymore? I'm sure it's way better now but like I said, if I can't recover the signal, it'll RTH when the battery is low anyway.

No - you answered my question with a question, which was not helpful. I have no idea at all how well you understand how to retrieve txt or DAT files, or which guidance you followed. The app file structure contains numerous directories of various types of file, and this forum is full of examples of users looking in completely the wrong place and either not finding the files or posting the wrong files. Your terse and uninformative posts gave no indication of whether that was the case here. Good luck resolving your problem.
I followed the instructions provided by dji in the emails. And I’ve included pictures that show only 1 flight on 7/11/19 in the flight log. This drone flew everyday from 7/4 till the 13th. I checked the txt files as well. There’s only the flight on the 11th in the txt files as well. On that day, The eleventh.... I used my phone as I needed a picture instead of using the crystal sky. The next flight I used the crystal sky, and so on until the date of loss. The crystal sky had the latest version of the dji go 4 app while my phone was using an older version. If that helps. I’m not sure why there are no logs. I will include some photos of my device connected and the path I used. If you can spot an error please advise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 54
I followed the instructions provided by dji in the emails. And I’ve included pictures that show only 1 flight on 7/11/19 in the flight log. This drone flew everyday from 7/4 till the 13th. I checked the txt files as well. There’s only the flight on the 11th in the txt files as well. On that day, The eleventh.... I used my phone as I needed a picture instead of using the crystal sky. The next flight I used the crystal sky, and so on until the date of loss. The crystal sky had the latest version of the dji go 4 app while my phone was using an older version. If that helps. I’m not sure why there are no logs. I will include some photos of my device connected and the path I used. If you can spot an error please advise

And I have no idea what instructions DJI sent you, since you didn't post them. The txt logs will be in DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord. The DAT files, as shown in your image, should be in DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord\MCDatFlightRecords. You won't know which DAT file you need until you have examined the txt log for the flight in question. The DJI_RECORD directory contains nothing useful, except perhaps to DJI.

It wasn't on the Mavic Pro, Karma, 3DR Solo, etc. ..
Are you saying that drones are never lost to RTH anymore?
I'm sure it's way better now but like I said, if I can't recover the signal, it'll RTH when the battery is low anyway.
I have no experience with the Karma and Solo so will have to take your word on their performance.
But the Mavic RTH has been very reliable, more so than many Mavic flyers.
I'm not aware of any legitimate cases demonstrating that RTH didn't work properly, but I've seen several cases where operators blamed RTH for the loss of their drone due to such things as:
  • their lack of understanding how RTH works
  • they flew downwind, high up in winds too strong for the drone to fly back
  • obstacles blocking the RTH path
I so rarely lose signal and it's a simple matter to head towards the drone until it picks up again.
Like many others, I fly where it's not possible to walk towards the drone if that was necessary.
But since the drone is programmed to return on loss of signal, it is pointless disabling the feature that has saved many drones which would otherwise have been lost.

And I have no idea what instructions DJI sent you, since you didn't post them. The txt logs will be in DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord. The DAT files, as shown in your image, should be in DJI\dji.go.v4\FlightRecord\MCDatFlightRecords. You won't know which DAT file you need until you have examined the txt log for the flight in question. The DJI_RECORD directory contains nothing useful, except perhaps to DJI.
You've been more than helpful with this guy, but I'd give up now... he obviously doesn't want to listen to you!

Reactions: Ex Coelis and RWD
Try and get past you ego and help him anyways. He has stated that he lost the drone on July 13 and his last flight data he can find is from June 30th. Try and work with him to find any data post June 30th, please. Just stating you have never heard of this problem, and then when he answers that he can't find the data, you answer that you asked "a rather simple question" doesn't help him, or anyone else that uses these forums to get help. Thank you. Gord Owens.
I’d reconsider your comments and do your homework in this forum! SAR104 is one of the most helpful individuals on this forum. As a ‘newbie’ I’d be very careful!

OK guys have removed several post because of one member so just carry on now. :)

Just to be clear - are you completely sure that there are no flight logs? There should be two - a DAT file and a txt file. There have been one or two reports of DAT files not recording, but I've never seen of an example of a flight with no logs at all.
Not a Mavic, but I have a P3SE that flies out about 250 feet, disconnects, returns to takeoff point and lands. It shows no txt or dat file for logs. It only does it on the first flight. Everytime. It will not reconnect on rth. After that first flight flight it performs flawlessly and all logs are present. But that first flight never shows up in the flight log. (dat or txt). I posted it in the SE forum months ago but no real replies. It's only a minor annoyance to me now. Never had a RTH failure. (Knock wood)

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Very similar to the disconnection and failure to return-to-home that I experienced on my Mavic 2 Pro. Lost the drone but DJI are refusing to provide a replacement free of charge. Somethig is happening with some Mavics that they are disconnecting for no apparent reason and then not returning to home. DJI customer 'support' has been useless and they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem. The number of disconnections now being reported would indicate that there IS a problem, especially given the number of experienced users that are reporting these disconnections.

But DJI has our money and does not address the problem. Good business for them, sell a drone that then disconnects and hope that the user then buys yet another potentially faulty drone.

Am I angry with DJI, yes.

Very similar to the disconnection and failure to return-to-home that I experienced on my Mavic 2 Pro. Lost the drone but DJI are refusing to provide a replacement free of charge. Somethig is happening with some Mavics that they are disconnecting for no apparent reason and then not returning to home. DJI customer 'support' has been useless and they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem. The number of disconnections now being reported would indicate that there IS a problem, especially given the number of experienced users that are reporting these disconnections.

But DJI has our money and does not address the problem. Good business for them, sell a drone that then disconnects and hope that the user then buys yet another potentially faulty drone.

Am I angry with DJI, yes.
There's nothing at all similar about your case and that's been explained to you many times.
Your drone did not disconnect. It lost power and fell from the sky.
There's a huge difference.
Disconnection does not cause a drone to fall from the sky.

Last edited:
But as was pointed out previously, it lost connection so did disconnect. And the number of people reporting disconnection issues is now significant. A drone costing over 1400 euros should not disconnect like it is doing in a number of cases. Either the drone, the RC or the software is faulty. Too many people have the same or very similar issues.

If you think back to the other DJI drones, history has shown that they have always had problems (I am thinking of the flyaway cases especially), so the current spate of disconnections may be another issue with DJI drones or software.

But as was pointed out previously, it lost connection so did disconnect. And the number of people reporting disconnection issues is now significant. A drone costing over 1400 euros should not disconnect like it is doing in a number of cases. Either the drone, the RC or the software is faulty. Too many people have the same or very similar issues.

If you think back to the other DJI drones, history has shown that they have always had problems (I am thinking of the flyaway cases especially), so the current spate of disconnections may be another issue with DJI drones or software.
Maybe start a poll asking folks about M2 (and other DJI drones) disconnects and outcomes.
It would give factual basis to the number of them.

Disconnection was not your problem.
Your drone losing power was your problem.
When a DJI drone is loses signal, (disconnects) it's programmed to return home.
When a drone loses power, it stops flying and falls from the sky, crashing into the ground.
The app will report a disconnection since it can't detect any signal from the dead drone, but that is not the reason for the loss of the drone.
Why can't you understand the difference?
Your drone's problem was not losing signal or disconnecting.
If you think back to the other DJI drones, history has shown that they have always had problems (I am thinking of the flyaway cases especially)
Please show me just one case of a DJI drone flying away.
I don't believe I've ever seen one that could be verified, just people that lost their drone and did not understand why.

Probably best it's gone for good.

The OP gas already admitted he has flown over 3 miles away to Alcatraz - an area that is not only prohibited from UAV use but also heavily congested with helicopter traffic.
The aircraft was lost flying down a street at an intersection!

Probably enough said.

Probably best it's gone for good.

The OP gas already admitted he has flown over 3 miles away to Alcatraz - an area that is not only prohibited from UAV use but also heavily congested with helicopter traffic.
The aircraft was lost flying down a street at an intersection!

Probably enough said.
Harsh but fair!

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Have you tried finding your drone through "Find my Drone" option in DJI Go 4?

A little hard to see but it looks like the .DAT log files started over with FLY001.DAT after FLY099.DAT was written. Maybe the Crystal Sky does this to limit the space being used by the log files.

Another possibility is that the CS had the wrong date. This has happened to others where the date was set to, I believe, 2013-01-18. If this happened your best bet is to zip up the entire contents of the MCDatFlightRecords folder so we can paw through it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman