DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another negative Drone article

slr001

Reactions
I do live in the UK and its a terrible article.

In his other article he says "Popular models can now reach altitudes of up to 10,000 feet" - maybe but only if you are actually close to 10,000 feet - thats 3000 or so meters or close to 2 miles!

Even if the DJI drones didn't have the 500m max altitude from take off - there is no way I would or even could I suspect fly my drone 2 miles above the earth!

And in terms of spying on children - drones are so noisy they make the worst way of spying! A pair of strong pair of binoculars from a high vantage point would be much more effective and less conspicuous.

In the article it mentions "UAV Expert" David Dunn - see his profile at Professor David Dunn - Department of Political Science and International Studies - University of Birmingham

No mention of any expertise in drones in practical use - though he is on a committee discussing drones.

I suspect its all linked to the impending EU laws that will pretty much ban drones from anything other than use 50m away

Reactions: UAV Man
LOL I read the article but its simply reporting the facts do your title 'another negative...' is out of place. We have to accept responsibility the certain users flout the guidelines and in turn this will bring about the demise of drones as in certain countries already.

I'm a huge fan of looking down on the world from above with a drone but have always (3y) stuck to the guidance of CAA or any other Aviation Authority.

2017 will be an interesting year for the casual hobbyist, my bet is our props will be clipped before the end of it.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

I do live in the UK and its a terrible article.

In his other article he says "Popular models can now reach altitudes of up to 10,000 feet" - maybe but only if you are actually close to 10,000 feet - thats 3000 or so meters or close to 2 miles!

Even if the DJI drones didn't have the 500m max altitude from take off - there is no way I would or even could I suspect fly my drone 2 miles above the earth!

And in terms of spying on children - drones are so noisy they make the worst way of spying! A pair of strong pair of binoculars from a high vantage point would be much more effective and less conspicuous.

In the article it mentions "UAV Expert" David Dunn - see his profile at Professor David Dunn - Department of Political Science and International Studies - University of Birmingham

No mention of any expertise in drones in practical use - though he is on a committee discussing drones.

I suspect its all linked to the impending EU laws that will pretty much ban drones from anything other than use 50m away
Agree with all but I can fly my Inspire at 300 meters with a zoom lens and not hear a sound.... Also remember using binoculars to spy is also illegal.

They do seem to be increasing the pressure on the pilots, can only end in regulations rather than guidelines.... best get the license course booked!!

I live in the UK and agree it it a terrible place, everything is PC crazy and I'm not sure what your supposed to do with camera's.
You can't take a picture or video of your kids in a public swimming pool because your a pedo, you can't film your kids at school sports day for the same reason. I think it's still ok to take photo's of tree's I've not heard of a law or rule against that.....yet

In the news article from the OP I'm almost tempted to go in to Maplins and buy a drone just to see if the statement is true "UK retailer Maplin said it will ensure those that buy drones in the run up to Christmas are aware of the Dronecode at the time of purchase" I'm sure it would be the last thing on the sales person's mind as they are watching the cash in your hand.

I don't think it would be a bad thing is we had some sort of online theory test you had to take to be issued some form of documentation that was required before you could buy a drone. At least people would understand the dangers or disasters they could so easily cause.

I'm worried we will see a big increase in daft things being done with drones with the popularity of the Mavic causing some OTT legislation that affects everybody, hope not though.

Reactions: UAV Man
I live in the UK and agree it it a terrible place, everything is PC crazy and I'm not sure what your supposed to do with camera's.
You can't take a picture or video of your kids in a public swimming pool because your a pedo, you can't film your kids at school sports day for the same reason. I think it's still ok to take photo's of tree's I've not heard of a law or rule against that.....yet

In the news article from the OP I'm almost tempted to go in to Maplins and buy a drone just to see if the statement is true "UK retailer Maplin said it will ensure those that buy drones in the run up to Christmas are aware of the Dronecode at the time of purchase" I'm sure it would be the last thing on the sales person's mind as they are watching the cash in your hand.

I don't think it would be a bad thing is we had some sort of online theory test you had to take to be issued some form of documentation that was required before you could buy a drone. At least people would understand the dangers or disasters they could so easily cause.

I'm worried we will see a big increase in daft things being done with drones with the popularity of the Mavic causing some OTT legislation that affects everybody, hope not though.
Just in Maplin and spoke to guy about Mavic, he said no chance until next year... didn't mention 'Done Code'... But offered me an extended warranty on a TP-LINK router...:D:D:D

Reactions: johnie
Just in Maplin and spoke to guy about Mavic, he said no chance until next year... didn't mention 'Done Code'... But offered me an extended warranty on a TP-LINK router...:D:D:D

hahaha perhaps in Maplin speak Dronecode means sell em the extended warranty :D

he laughed about the amount of people coming in asking about Mavic, ask me what all the fuss was about... told him just crazies with too much money...

Very sad . Feel sorry for you folks in the U.K.
However on a cheerier note we on the other side of the world would be more than happy to take your Mavics or inspires off your hands and save you from the law !

Amazing how one person writing an article can affect so many. Someone should put a drone in his hand and he'll start writing about how fun it is to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

LOL I read the article but its simply reporting the facts do your title 'another negative...' is out of place. We have to accept responsibility the certain users flout the guidelines and in turn this will bring about the demise of drones as in certain countries already.

I'm a huge fan of looking down on the world from above with a drone but have always (3y) stuck to the guidance of CAA or any other Aviation Authority.

2017 will be an interesting year for the casual hobbyist, my bet is our props will be clipped before the end of it.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Well said. 2017 will be an incredibly important year for us all and in my opinion, we have to do the following:

Control the conversation: We are our own best advocates and the responsibility is on us to educate. If you're fly at a part and someone walks by and looks interested, call them over and start a dialogue. Educate them on what we all love.

Personal responsibility: In order for us to keep our freedom, we need to be honest, ethical and responsible. Like any sport, there are plenty of A-Holes and it's up to us to call them out when possible. We need to patrol ourselves or else, the government will.

Just my 2 cents.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Reactions: DirkGently

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998