DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another new Drone from DJI DJI Air 2S

for me all this latest and greatest newest ,speculation ,about new models is something ,that DJI have been masters of since before the mavics were first produced ,their marketing department are very clever in dealing out just enough of a perceived upgrade to temp us the consumer into parting with our cash ,as far as i am concerned my two and a half year old MPP,flies just as well as the latest MA2, does all i require of it reliably ,and performs constantly without issues,if you strip away all the added sensors and auto flight modes ,that prolificate in newer models
then at the end of the day they all fly using very similar technology ,thats just been tweaked to give an improvement of some sort ,i will be the first to admit that the Occusync system itself is a wonderful addition to the Radio transmission side of the link between the RC ,Drone and back
even with my MPP having an early Occusync version i have been blown away ,with the reliability of the system and have never lost connection between the RC and drone in all the flights i have undertaken ,,dont get me wrong ,i am not knocking DJI or the drones they produce ,and in the future when the new C rated drones come on line ,i hope to be able to purchase one of them to comply with the new Regulations ,sorry if my comments cause upset to others ,they are just my thoughts on the subject

There certainly seems to be a trend among some people to want the newest drones with all the latest technology. However, I just wonder how often (if ever, in some cases) these features are actually used. I have a Mini 1 and there isn’t anything I need it to do that it can’t. I don’t personally need 4k video and I don’t print photos from it large enough to need a higher resolution camera. Where I fly, the range I get is easily enough to reach the limit of VLOS. I’m careful of where, and how, I fly - I don’t fly through trees or in confined areas so I don’t need obstacle avoidance. I stay alert to the weather. I don’t fly on very windy days so blow-aways aren’t a problem for me (so the Mini’s maximum speed isn't a limitation). I looked forward to waypoints and tracking being provided by third-party apps but, apart from trying the features out, I haven’t actually needed to use them so far. Some people may genuinely need these features, but I suspect most don’t.

At some point in the future I’ll probably upgrade my drone but it certainly won’t be until one comes along which is fully compliant with the new regulations and provides something I consider essential that my existing drone doesn’t have. I just don’t see the point in buying a drone which in a year or two will have significant restrictions imposed on it. To each his own, I guess.

Is DJI getting ready for the changes for FAA rulings?

Interesting... wish I had known, as I purchased my Air 2 FM combo over the winter, but haven’t really had many good opportunities (or ambition) to go fly in the frozen tundra. I chose the Air 2 over the Pro mostly due to size, but would have liked 360 degree obstacle avoidance. As-is, my Air 2 will be mostly used for open skies flying.

Looks like another new DJI product on the horizon. The DJI Air 2S I guess this model is a step up from the Mavic Air 2. It appears that it is going to possibly have Ocusync 3 along with a better camera. Based on a recent photo it looks like it might have more avoidance sensors as well. The rumors are like wildfire. It will be interesting to see what more leaks come out in the very near future. Any further comments?
The drone universe seems, to me, to be going the way of digital cameras. The utility of these marginal improvements appears to decrease as the new models appear. So if an "upgraded" version of the drone that one owns and is pleased with is introduced, IMO one really has to examine the gain obtained by upgrading. I look for a truly quantifiable upgrade. For example, I prefer daylight still images and I would immediately buy a drone with an aspc sensor...a hypothetical Mavic Pro X with such a sensor. A video up grade would not get me interested, nor would a 10 minute increase in flying time... So I think that the decision to ask how high when DJI says jump should be given careful consideration especially when the necessity/cost of new peripherals is figured in.

Really hope it comes it out and is more expensive, or takes awhile to release. I bought my air 2 yesterday and just saw this today and now I'm a little annoyed I didn't see this till after getting the dji refresh.
My guess is it will have very slightly different specs and work with the v2 goggles... I'm doomed

Reactions: Steel63
My guess is it will have very slightly different specs and work with the v2 goggles... I'm doomed
I bought mine to use as a follow me drone Cuz I was to cheap for the Skydio 2 lol. So the rumored extra sensors makes it appealing. But it's my first drone so I don't really want to return it if the 2s isnt coming out till fall

Tenmpting as the Air 2s may be, I will still look at the features of the MA2 and if this still fits what I need, want and enjoy, then I see no sense in "upgrading."

But that is just me ;)

Last edited:
I bought mine to use as a follow me drone Cuz I was to cheap for the Skydio 2 lol. So the rumored extra sensors makes it appealing. But it's my first drone so I don't really want to return it if the 2s isnt coming out till fall
the air 2 is a amazing drone just use it

Reactions: Sasq40 and rp6
So sad when a company is so comprised on talented designers that they are completely unable to design a drone that has upgradable parts, DJI stands for epic landfill waste, like most short sighted companies without design skill or vision.

I got my Mavic Air 2 a month ago. I sounded out several experts with the question, is a upgrade about to come out? I was told that DJI wouldn't be coming out with an upgrade, so I bought it. Rather frustrating, but the MA2 is still a great aircraft and I've been making amazing videos.
There is *always* something bigger, better, faster, cheaper coming out the day after you make a purchase.

This holds true for *everything* based on technology, not just drones.

There is *always* something bigger, better, faster, cheaper coming out the day after you make a purchase.

This holds true for *everything* based on technology, not just drones.
Inovative engineer teams can actually design products that can be updated and incorporate new feature sets... but not DJI

So sad when a company is so comprised on talented designers that they are completely unable to design a drone that has upgradable parts, DJI stands for epic landfill waste, like most short sighted companies without design skill or vision.
Ya, for sure. Nothing describes DJI better than a company "without design skill or vision."

That was sarcasm if it wasn't obvious.

Really hope it comes it out and is more expensive, or takes awhile to release. I bought my air 2 yesterday and just saw this today and now I'm a little annoyed I didn't see this till after getting the dji refresh.
Had you bought it from Amazon you could send it back for refund up to 30 days after taking possession.

That's a naïve post. DJI has lead the drone industry over the last 6yrs with features and capabilities that many thought were impossible. During this time numerous drone companies have gone bankrupt because they can't compete. And you think they are short sighted? Naïve.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98