DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another new Drone from DJI DJI Air 2S

Inovative engineer teams can actually design products that can be updated and incorporate new feature sets... but not DJI
Again, this is naïve. Innovation in drone technology is highly weight sensitive to optimize battery range, and camera performance. Upgradeable products are always heavier and more expensive to incorporate modularity, not to mention harder to support. Apple doesn't allow upgradability in their highly clamped down products for that main issue. Drone designs are also driven by the silicon, which evolves every year to provide less weight, more performance, less power consumption.

So sad when a company is so comprised on talented designers that they are completely unable to design a drone that has upgradable parts, DJI stands for epic landfill waste, like most short sighted companies without design skill or vision.
People are still happily flying DJI drones which are several years old so hardly "epic landfill waste". As I haven't really looked beyond DJI for drones, which other manufacturers produce consumer-grade drones with upgradeable parts?

Reactions: Droniac and ecolier
Looks like another new DJI product on the horizon. The DJI Air 2S I guess this model is a step up from the Mavic Air 2. It appears that it is going to possibly have Ocusync 3 along with a better camera. Based on a recent photo it looks like it might have more avoidance sensors as well. The rumors are like wildfire. It will be interesting to see what more leaks come out in the very near future. Any further comments?
How did they improve Ocusync 2? What makes 3 better?

How did they improve Ocusync 2? What makes 3 better?
yes i got easily 6km in a non congested space ...i bottled it when testing because of battery fears ,i landed with 19% still :eek:

Reactions: Droniac
Looks like another new DJI product on the horizon. The DJI Air 2S I guess this model is a step up from the Mavic Air 2. It appears that it is going to possibly have Ocusync 3 along with a better camera. Based on a recent photo it looks like it might have more avoidance sensors as well. The rumors are like wildfire. It will be interesting to see what more leaks come out in the very near future. Any further comments?
Will the DJI Smart Controller, control the new MA2S?

It seems that DJI has learned from Apple on how to time, leak, announce and release new products that make you feel that your new purchase is no longer new. It is a mind game and just like Apple the product/version that you have will still be relevant and usable for many more years. I have a P3S that I enjoy, but a new MA2 is my next purchase!

Reactions: Wilbur and Droniac
I got my Mavic Air 2 a month ago. I sounded out several experts with the question, is a upgrade about to come out? I was told that DJI wouldn't be coming out with an upgrade, so I bought it. Rather frustrating, but the MA2 is still a great aircraft and I've been making amazing videos.
I love experts ?. Not many seem to be on point when it comes to dJI.

I'm still flying my original Mavic, it's a lovely machine.

While I do love the FPV2 goggles, I still love the Smart Controller even more and its integration with my M2Pro and Air2. That said, I'm loving that DJI keeps pushing the innovations. I usually pull the trigger on new models well after they are released. Note that I said usually!

A good byproduct of new model releases is that used gear prices fall and that's good for newbies or budget-limited flyers.

Reactions: Wilbur and Droniac
So sad when a company is so comprised on talented designers that they are completely unable to design a drone that has upgradable parts, DJI stands for epic landfill waste, like most short sighted companies without design skill or vision.
Anyone who is planning to throw their functioning Mavic Air 2 (or any Mavic, for that matter) in the trash, you're welcome to send it to me and I'll properly "dispose" of it. Heck, I'll even pay the postage.

Just doing my part to save the planet.

Yes , I can smell the Roses : New cruise Control, Better Low light and more Dynamic Lighting on the drone with Auto Record , but the Thorn is going to be 3.0 not working with the Smart Controller. UGH
Call me naive, but I can't imagine DJI giving up Occusync2 at the consumer drone market. If Occusync 3 is in the near future, I would think it would be geared inline with what they are trying to accomplish by separating out the consumer line (new names without "Mavic" in them) from the Mavic line and making it part of the Mavic 3 line (the new "Pro" line), keeping OC2 for the consumer line. They just invested a lot of R&D into the Mini2/MA2 controller, and it has yet to pay off, so why abandon it so soon.

The writing on the wall:
1) DJI is making a market move to distance consumer drones from professional

a) DJI assistant 2 for Consumer
b) Mavic Mini to DJI Mini 2 naming
c) Rumored Mavic Air 2 to DJI Air 2S naming
d) Air2/Mini2 controllers are identical/interchangeable
2) Mavic 3 has taken too long to come to market, likely because of the marketing move pre-reqs to build the consumer lineup prior to the dividing of classes

IMHO, the Mac Air 2 S will be out soon, but it may be that our existing Air 2's would be software upgradable (maybe the "S" designation's definition?). I would also think that the controllers will have fleet management options (like my smart controller has). The Air2 will be the top of the line in the "consumer" class for now, then the Mavic 3 will be the "step up" to pro. Sure hope they add native waypoint abilities in that new firmware.

The division of classes (consumer vs pro) also allows them to recoup the R&D for the Occusync 3 without having to price the consumer lineup out of reach. Expect the Mavic 3 line to go up 25% over the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom/Enterprise line to fund the R&D.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Call me naive, but I can't imagine DJI giving up Occusync2 at the consumer drone market. If Occusync 3 is in the near future, I would think it would be geared inline with what they are trying to accomplish by separating out the consumer line (new names without "Mavic" in them) from the Mavic line and making it part of the Mavic 3 line (the new "Pro" line), keeping OC2 for the consumer line. They just invested a lot of R&D into the Mini2/MA2 controller, and it has yet to pay off, so why abandon it so soon.

The writing on the wall:
1) DJI is making a market move to distance consumer drones from professional

a) DJI assistant 2 for Consumer
b) Mavic Mini to DJI Mini 2 naming
c) Rumored Mavic Air 2 to DJI Air 2S naming
d) Air2/Mini2 controllers are identical/interchangeable
2) Mavic 3 has taken too long to come to market, likely because of the marketing move pre-reqs to build the consumer lineup prior to the dividing of classes

IMHO, the Mac Air 2 S will be out soon, but it may be that our existing Air 2's would be software upgradable (maybe the "S" designation's definition?). I would also think that the controllers will have fleet management options (like my smart controller has). The Air2 will be the top of the line in the "consumer" class for now, then the Mavic 3 will be the "step up" to pro. Sure hope they add native waypoint abilities in that new firmware.

The division of classes (consumer vs pro) also allows them to recoup the R&D for the Occusync 3 without having to price the consumer lineup out of reach. Expect the Mavic 3 line to go up 25% over the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom/Enterprise line to fund the R&D.
Smart controller old tech now DJI will bring out a new version soon its got to be on the cards.How old is the smart controller now ?

Smart controller old tech now DJI will bring out a new version soon its got to be on the cards.How old is the smart controller now ?
It may be "old tech" (2 1/2 years?) but DJI has rolled out 2 drones in the last year that rely upon the OS2 at the newly branded "consumer" line. Mavic Air 2 is the most successful roll out yet. The writing is on the wall.

That is why OS3 will be rolled out, but in the "pro" line. Of course this is just my speculation and opinion, with nothing to base it on besides observation and trends.

I really think that if the US hadn't blacklisted DJI earlier in 2020, scaring them from the Mavic 3 rollout last spring, the Mavic 3 would be available. But the pause caused a re-thinking of strategy, and we now have a delayed Mavic 3 rollout (and probably a much better one), as well as the division in product lines.

its just it makes sense if the latest DJI aircraft are going to be ocusync 3 and the Smart controller does not support this.
we maybe wrong but when you look at the FPV drone that is the first in the line maybe of the the v3 ,at the end of the day non one knows only DJI there is a lot of guessing going on right now.

I think our most obvious hint of OS2 being the 2-year future of consumer drones is that the Mini2/Mavic Air 2 now use the same controller, with the Mini 2 the most recently released. You can even switch aircraft from within the Fly app (not as easy as the SC, but capable). OS3 has lower latency and higher throughput, a critical need for FPV and professional use, but in the interest of keeping successful price points for the consumer market (hobbyist, enthusiast, vacationers, etc.) it is not a necessity or even much of an advantage.

Sure, the SC is old Android hardware and OS, but fully capable of running DJI apps as designed (but difficult to run more demanding 3rd party apps such as DroneLink and Maven that use the Virtual Stick functionality of the Mobile SDK). I don't regret getting my SC, and am hoping that my Mini 2 will someday be managed by it too, giving me a full fleet of OS2 birds (Mini 2, MA2, M2 Zoom) that can all be controlled by my SC.

Again, this is naïve. Innovation in drone technology is highly weight sensitive to optimize battery range, and camera performance. Upgradeable products are always heavier and more expensive to incorporate modularity, not to mention harder to support. Apple doesn't allow upgradability in their highly clamped down products for that main issue. Drone designs are also driven by the silicon, which evolves every year to provide less weight, more performance, less power consumption.
I somehow feel this is somewhat reminiscent of 1990 when my 250mb hardrive on my 286 was smokin’. Now my #5 son is NY Parsons School grad and bought him a 900$ graphics card he requested. Unreal. Whelp. I enjoy music and bought my first guitar long ago. Now I have 14. All the same (as they are guitars) and yet some very different. I’m guessing I’ve got DAS. Drone Aquisition syndrome as I had Guitar Acquisition syndrome (GAS). It’s ... viral? Godspeed.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy