DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Security Encounter re Drone Detection

To fly over them, sure, but what about flying around the perimeter? Should one go fly their drone around the fence down at the Limerick nuke, I'd expect to get checked out.
Personally, I stay far away from them, and chemical plants, shipyards, and such.

I'd be disappointed if the security people didn't check out a drone flying near the perimeter of nuclear plant.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
Nuclear plants are off limits per FAA regulations. Reference is provided in post #14.
I went looking for the Hutchinson Island and Turkey Point nuclear plants, in Florida, on the map, as per #14, and do not seem them indicated.

I went looking for the Hutchinson Island and Turkey Point nuclear plants, in Florida, on the map, as per #14, and do not seem them indicated.
I had a look, too. No restrictions shown. I checked to be sure that all the map layers are enabled. Plant Hatch in Baxley, GA isn't showing either. That's very odd. The FAA website specifically refers to that map.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 121027.jpg

Reactions: mavictk
I've checked to see if I can detect my remote ID with my Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro hovering 5 feet in front of me with the iOS version of drone scanner. App didn't detect any drones at all.

I've checked to see if I can detect my remote ID with my Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro hovering 5 feet in front of me with the iOS version of drone scanner. App didn't detect any drones at all.
If you are on the most recent FW on each, after RID was enabled (01.00.0900 on the Mavic 3), your iOS drone scanner app is the problem. It's not yet able to properly detect RID. RID is most certainly already being transmitted by both aircraft, if you have already updated to the FW that enables it. See below for how it can currently be properly detected.

Remote ID is now live on the Mavic 3

A look at all the Remote ID Data the DJI Mavic 3 transmits.

Last edited:
The drone is not detected immediately. It can take up to a minute.
Depends on the system. If it's the DJI AeroScope system, it knows the second you turn the drone on.

I just put the Mini 3 Pro up and ran the Drone Scanner app. It did not detect the drone.

Mini 3 Pro with RC, latest firmware update. Latest version of Drone Scanner.

Has anyone used Drone Scanner or another app and found that it works?
I flew mini 3 pro yesterday and the OpenDroneID Android app, immediately picked it up on take off. Not very accurate but accurate enough to find pilot and Drone vicinity.

To fly over them, sure, but what about flying around the perimeter? Should one go fly their drone around the fence down at the Limerick nuke, I'd expect to get checked out.
the nearest one to me is up in Seabrook New Hampshire and I wouldn't fly any closer than a mile or two and only if I recall need to (job). This one is near the ocean and I could find lots to photograph but the possible hassle of being too close is the thought crossing my mind...

Has anyone used Drone Scanner or another app and found that it works?
I have tried a couple of phone apps and found them to be very slow and short range.

I bought an ESP32-based RID receiver from milehighdroneservices.com and it detects a drone in a couple of seconds and has a range of nearly a mile in tests I've done with a Mavic 3. That was using the tiny antenna printed on the circuit board. With an external antenna it would work better. It cost less than $100.

I would expect a refinery or stadium to use dedicated hardware and an elevated antenna, not a phone app. It's reasonable to assume they have real time coverage at least a mile out.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I flew mini 3 pro yesterday and the OpenDroneID Android app, immediately picked it up on take off. Not very accurate but accurate enough to find pilot and Drone vicinity.

I just did three flights with the M3P (latest updates) and the latest version of OpenDroneID. The app failed to notice the drone on two flights longer than 10 minutes. It recognized the drone on one flight after about five minutes but required several minutes to update the location after that.

I'm not very impressed.

I just did three flights with the M3P (latest updates) and the latest version of OpenDroneID. The app failed to notice the drone on two flights longer than 10 minutes. It recognized the drone on one flight after about five minutes but required several minutes to update the location after that.

I'm not very impressed.
Right - this poor performance of the current crop of free phone apps means RemoteID isn't going to be very useful for the general public. However, see my post above, a cheap dedicated receiver performs dramatically better, and I think in the context of the post that started this thread, security services protecting a sensitive facility are likely not using a phone app. They will have dedicated hardware with a range of a mile or more, permanent recording, and the sort of software you'd expect for searching and filtering data to watch for repeat offenders, people who have been given a warning previously, etc.

Is there software out there that allows you to see this? I have Drone Scanner, it doesn't appear to be seeing anything yet.

Flying the Delaware River today as I've done 1000 times in 7 years photographing ships and here comes two pick up trucks from a nearby refinery.

Guy was pretty nice but wanted to know what I was doing, the whole 10th degree. Told him, showed him I'm out over the water and not flying over their refinery. Was anxious to tell me they have drone detection now. Needless to say, killed the the whole experience. Trying to talk to someone when your trying to fly not a great thing. Few weeks ago I received a call about flying in another part of the river. The drone was picked up on detection software being used at the stadium for the super bowl.

How long before the average Joe are acosting you while flying?
Guess I’ll start carrying my bear mace from now on, when I’m flying…

Power up the drone or when the motors are activated?
AeroScope hits on your the second you turn the drone on. It doesn't matter if you are running the motors or not. It reads the messaging between drone and controller

A Free android app (I assume there is probably an ios) named drone scanner can read the RID from Mavic 3 and Air 2S as we speak. There may be others as well.
Don't spread the work to the Average idiots, please.
I used drone scanner on my android and my iphone. I turned app versions on. The iphone can only scan for bluetooth RID signals, while the android version can scan for Wifi and Bluetooth RID signals.

I launched my Mavic 3 enterprise with firmware I updated that day , but neither iphone or android apps could detect the drone.

My standard Mav 3 is being repaired. I will fly it when I get it back and see if it gets detected with the app.

If the app ever works I'll let you all know.

Anticipating encounters with bears or do you intend to spray refinery security personnel who are behaving "pretty nice."
I carry a keychain pepper spray bottle that is supposed to take out a few attackers if needed. Hopefully I never have to.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147