DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna mods

2da7b6db0dea378acc0f8a1abbbaff6b.jpg
611ff38097b2d82a907a138ada90e6ea.jpg

Oh man, where to begin...
There's a thing called VSWR that is a measure of match to an antenna.
There's not an antenna on the planet that is out of the box a perfect match to your transmitter and receiver.
Add a signal booster onto that...
It isn't clear that the "amplifier" is receive only or transmit and receive. It's likely that it is only receive which means it can give you a false sense of range.
In either case another item in the pipeline to adjust for match.
Are there adjustments and instructions for how to line match these things?
If not you could actually be reducing your signal.

The two boosters put out 4 Watts can't wait to see the new range
The way they sell this stuff is misleading - the actual max power delivered to the antenna is then multiplied by the supposed antenna gain to get a "effective" power. 3db is roughly twice the power so 5 db will jack that 1 watt real power "up" to 4watts claimed power. Thanks to the inverse square law into an omni antenna you get pretty insignificant gains in range.
I'm not exactly sure how two boosters on each side will work but if it is indeed 4 watts each then you'd be in violation of FCC regs - and trust me they will come looking if they get reports of interference.
Now those antennas appear to be a form of dipole with passive radiator/director. That's cool except that due to these being microwaves there's also interaction between the two antennas and in fact you could be getting phase cancellation. You could measure the distances to be sure - optimum isolation would come at 1/2 wavelengths - roughly 62 mm apart. That said I can only assume that DJI has already factored that into the inter antenna distance since the original antenna is a pair of simple monopoles.
To work properly as a director, the front passive element in each antenna (the "V"s) would need to be about 3mm apart. I can't tell from the photo but it looks like it may be close.
The gist of this is *if* the antennas are designed properly you might get a modest increase in signal simply from the fact they are being made slightly directional. The fact that they are dipoles will also make them much more sensitive to orientation - if you turn them at angle the signal will be reduced substantially.

Here's how the FCC sees it.
Maximum Transmit Output Power in the ISM bands
Several of the FCC part 15 rules govern the transmit power permited in the ISM bands. Here is a summary of those rules:

1. Maximum transmitter output power, fed into the antenna, is 30 dBm (1 watt).
  2. Maximum Effective Isotropic Radiated Power (EIRP) is 36 dBm (4 watt).

Oh man, where to begin...
There's a thing called VSWR that is a measure of match to an antenna.
There's not an antenna on the planet that is out of the box a perfect match to your transmitter and receiver.
Add a signal booster onto that...
It isn't clear that the "amplifier" is receive only or transmit and receive. It's likely that it is only receive which means it can give you a false sense of range.
In either case another item in the pipeline to adjust for match.
Are there adjustments and instructions for how to line match these things?
If not you could actually be reducing your signal.

The amp is for both transmit and receive. The amps help significantly with the proper antenna. It did help with those fpvlr yagi antenna, but there is a lot of interference resulting in poor video quality at times. I've had much better luck with the circular polarized antenna. I have RexUAV antenna which was intended for 3dr solo. It has amazing signal with the amps. I went out 54,200ft and total trip of of over 108,600ft in silicon valley and not once did I get low signal and video feed was perfect.

So is there a trim to adjust the antenna match? Any mention of using a SWR meter?
I will be interested at a future date in a more reliable signal so this isn't just me poo-poo'ing the products.

So is there a trim to adjust the antenna match? Any mention of using a SWR meter?
I will be interested at a future date in a more reliable signal so this isn't just me poo-poo'ing the products.

I don't have swr meter and not buying one. I wish I did. I've simply tested a number of products and selected the one that works best so far. At this point I'm battery limited. I have signal for 70,000ft plus, but need more battery to do it.

So with the RexUAV antenna you were able to travel 54,200ft one way? and round trip 108,600ft with a single battery?

Guys, what is the actual difference between all of these antennas:

- circular polarized
- directional italite nano sync
- multidirectional

Plus what aux battery for mod you suggest?

Thanks so much lads

I

They fly the mavic 499 meters high? That's like 1500 feet high, where is this? In China?
Yes, this was in China, i think they are testing the limits of this mod.
What I use it for is that, I live in HK, city full of skyscrapers, I mod this so it won't be to much of an interference. I didn't mod for pure breaking the limit

Reactions: Rbruz
Yes, this was in China, i think they are testing the limits of this mod.
What I use it for is that, I live in HK, city full of skyscrapers, I mod this so it won't be to much of an interference. I didn't mod for pure breaking the limit
Have you tried it flying in the height of 400 feet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost