DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna orientation

Eyeonyou

Reactions
How important is antenna orientation on a Mavic? I know with my phantom is was pretty important when flying long range.

I flew my MP almost a mile away once not noticing the antenna was still folded (rookie days).
But, it's important that it's properly oriented.

Just like your phantom, antennas are vertically polarised dipole’s.... same principals apply to get max signal strength.

For the best signal, it's important to orient the antennas like this:

Antennas.png

That’s what I figured and have been doing I just wasn’t sure if ocusync was different and not as important, cause I’ve seen a few people on YouTube doing range test and they are clearly not lined up with the drone yet there going pretty far.

hi, and what will happen if i reach the point of lossing signal, what time the MAVIC wait to return H ?
thanks

For the best signal, it's important to orient the antennas like this:

View attachment 50240
Just bear in mind that the antenna's on the Mavic are in the front landing legs below the motors. So best signal strength will occur when the antenna's on the RC controller, are parallel with the landing legs [antenna's] on your Mavic. This is why the 45 degree thing is talked about (middle diagram above), because in general, that will make the antenna's parallel - but - if you were to prefer sitting and resting the controller on your lap, then you'd need the antenna's folded up at 90 degrees. The right-hand illustration above is the 'Don't do this!' illustration as this puts the controller antenna's at 90 degrees to the Mavic's antenna's ... The only exception to this might be if you were flying the drone directly overhead - but you'd still have good signal strength with the 45 degree set-up, due to the way antenna's broadcast anyway (vertical broadcast from a 'dipole' antenna has nothing in the way to attenuate the signal).

hi, and what will happen if i reach the point of lossing signal, what time the MAVIC wait to return H ?
thanks
Have a look in the Mavic manual reference 'Failsafe - Return to Home' ... There is a process that the Mavic will go through which does involve a hover and wait period to try to re-establish connection tot he controller, but if it doesn't get it, then the drone will return to its home point. This is why it is really important to let your Mavic establish P-GPS mode and know where it is before you initiate the take-off. Good RTH actually relies on a good take-off!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU