DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna Signal Penetration (careful now!)

MisterMavic

Reactions
I would like to find a way to get signal penetration not necessarily distance. I live in a neighborhood where even flying less than 400 yards I can't get below 30 feet without losing signal. I have a friend who lives a few streets over and I was trying to land in his yard and as soon as I would get below house level I'd lose signal. As you can see this is 1100 feet approx. 366 yards which seems like should be very doable. Are there any antenna mods that would give me a signal to accomplish this?
bde728c68195628bb1418893f4b25fd6.jpg

Your best bet would be to climb up on your roof, you'd have a better chance. Anything besides that is asking a lot from a transmitter that fits in your hand and runs off a battery.

Maybe you should fly the drone over your landing spot, hit auto land and pray that it works.

NANO SYNC ANTENNA (FOR THE DJI MAVIC)

This will help but unfortunately there is nothing out there that will allow you to have your signal penetrate multiple houses / trees / etc. 2.4ghz naturally doesn't travel well through solid organic objects well which is what occusync is based on.

Radio waves, in the microwave spectrum, travel straight. In peculiar conditions, reflections and diffractions allow to go beyond visual horizon, but there is no way to put signal, where the signal is missing. Increasing actual power, or radiated energy in a peculiar direction (gain, erp power), helps when the signal is weak or interfered, but doesn't fix an absence of signal.
Considering the rule, I mean that to keep UAS within sight, if it's applied, the power of the controller and Mavic is more than enough.
Save money. You must fly over 30ft, that's the only real (and reliable) solution.

I would like to find a way to get signal penetration not necessarily distance. I live in a neighborhood where even flying less than 400 yards I can't get below 30 feet without losing signal. I have a friend who lives a few streets over and I was trying to land in his yard and as soon as I would get below house level I'd lose signal. As you can see this is 1100 feet approx. 366 yards which seems like should be very doable. Are there any antenna mods that would give me a signal to accomplish this?

Reactions: AyeYo
Also you can change RTH setting to Land , so when you loose signal Mavic will land to your friend house.

You are flying over a built up area. - Don't you know how dangerous that is????

After lambasting others on this forum for how they operate their quads you proceed to fly so dangerously yourself at a dangerously lower altitude than can be only considered spying on people and obviously breaking the FAA regulations and guidelines.
What if someone shoots down your drone because you fly over their backyards? Oh hang on, you will take it like a man according to your previous posts. What if you crash and injure someone? You would never put yourself in that position according to your previous posts.
So now you completely disregard people's privacy and safety because you're the one flying.

By your own standards you should be reported to the FAA immediately for endangering other people by flying illegally and for putting our hobby into disrepute!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself for your display of hypocrisy!

Last edited:
Reactions: RichieGG and AyeYo
You are flying over a built up area. - Don't you know how dangerous that is????

After lambasting others on this forum for how they operate their quads you proceed to fly so dangerously yourself at a dangerously lower altitude than can be only considered spying on people and obviously breaking the FAA regulations and guidelines.
What if someone shoots down your drone because you fly over their backyards? Oh hang on, you will take it like a man according to your previous posts. What if you crash and injure someone? You would never put yourself in that position according to your previous posts.
So now you completely disregard people's privacy and safety because you're the one flying.

By your own standards you should be reported to the FAA immediately for endangering other people by flying illegally and for putting our hobby into disrepute!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself for your display of hypocrisy!

This from a man in a pink beret and pink glasses, lol, thanks for the input.

You can't improve penetration on bands with known-bad penetration. That's why cell, radio, TV, etc. don't use 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz.

Also, inb4 "I lost my Mavic" thread.

Just for the record, for fun I was trying to deliver a key to my motorcycle trailer he was borrowing. I guess when I land 300 yards away from his house at my own I'm flying dangerously low and spying on my neighbors. My drone was within LOS until it descended into his yard. Trolls, what are ya gonna do.

Reactions: Flycaster
You can't improve penetration on bands with known-bad penetration. That's why cell, radio, TV, etc. don't use 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz.

Also, inb4 "I lost my Mavic" thread.

Thanks, I thought I read somewhere people claiming getting signal penetration somehow. False claims maybe?

This from a man in a pink beret and pink glasses, lol, thanks for the input.
So what are you trying to say - You hate a guy that likes to wear pink?
Is that homophobia I detect as well as hypocrisy and illegal flights with your drone?

Seriously, what is the matter with you? Are you sick? Are you on drugs? Did your psychiatrist forget your last appointment? If you are not currently being helped perhaps now would be the right time to seek professional help.

Just for the record, for fun I was trying to deliver a key to my motorcycle trailer he was borrowing. I guess when I land 300 yards away from his house at my own I'm flying dangerously low and spying on my neighbors. My drone was within LOS until it descended into his yard. Trolls, what are ya gonna do.
Just for the record - You should be reported!

So what are you trying to say - You hate a guy that likes to wear pink?
Is that homophobia I detect as well as hypocrisy and illegal flights with your drone?

Seriously, what is the matter with you? Are you sick? Are you on drugs? Did your psychiatrist forget your last appointment? If you are not currently being helped perhaps now would be the right time to seek professional help.

Just don't think pink is your color. Don't take it personal.

Thanks, I thought I read somewhere people claiming getting signal penetration somehow. False claims maybe?

More power is going to give better penetration, but there's limits. You aren't going to penetrate multiple houses, hills, large buildings, tree trunks, concrete, etc. no matter what.

No it will probably allow to improve from penetrating 0 house to 1 house, but not 20.

Thanks guys, no sense spending money on an antenna mod to drop off a key when I can walk it over. Just thought it would be fun to land a few blocks over at my buddies house.

Reactions: WAXMAN
But your goal is actually possible.
GS pro app... plan a mission, at last point set the friend yard, among the 3 choices available, select "land".
Of course, having no signal @ground level, you'll have to go there, to catch and bring home the Mavic.

Just thought it would be fun to land a few blocks over at my buddies house.

But your goal is actually possible.
GS pro app... plan a mission, at last point set the friend yard, among the 3 choices available, select "land".
Of course, having no signal @ground level, you'll have to go there, to catch and bring home the Mavic.

I'll give it a try. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne