DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anti crash sensors? what a joke

Most of us are guilty of pilot error sometimes. In my case, I had forgotten that OA doesn't work in Sport Mode. I lost LOS momentarily, and my bird crashed into a tree. Fortunately, it only got a notch in one of the props.

Reactions: peros550
So I crashed. I used the point of interest option and didn't account for the height of a tree behind the building which was my subject. I assumed from the marketing about the Mavic Pro that the sensors would stop the drone from crashing into objects. Well, it didn't and it crashed. I'm now having to deal with a broken vibration board. I hope that's the only thing wrong but so far that's all I noticed. Fair warning to everyone. Don't believe the hype. Be careful and account for everything prior to trusting the automatic features.

Did you bother reading the manual where it specifically mentions the sensors might well not see tree branches or leaves?

Why are you flying in such a way as to blindly rely on technology to stop you crashing without making the effort to read the actual manual where it tells you this?

Reactions: Rbruz
Most of us are guilty of pilot error sometimes. In my case, I had forgotten that OA doesn't work in Sport Mode. I lost LOS momentarily, and my bird crashed into a tree. Fortunately, it only got a notch in one of the props.
That's true. In my case I has flying up above any other object and had turned on the cinematic mode. When I declined and prepared for landing I wanted to fly around some trees, and then I found out (thankfully not the hard way) how braking distance is increased for the shake of cinematic moves.

To the OP with all do respect, if you haven't flown a drone before, take your time with beginner mode and spend some hours to get to know how your Mavic flies. Try to use any resource you have, like the internet, youtube and the manual before trying any intelligent mode, sometimes they are not so intelligent as DJI's marketing would like to call them. Finally, the sensors are there to protect your Mavic, but don't push them to their limits and don't count on them all the time. You never know when a false reading could cause you a crash.

Reactions: Rbruz
I just bought this and on my first flight out found out that the POI doesn't fly in a forward direction. I assumed that it would fly in a forward direction circling the POI so utilizing the sensors and simply point the camera in the direction of the POI. That's not very hard to assume, is it?

Wait...did you say fly forward in a circling direction around a POI?

3054981-inline-i-1-1-these-are-the-bill-nye-reaction-gifs-you-didnt-know-you-needed.gif

Reactions: Starz
"Anti crash sensors? what a joke"

Always easier to blame something else when clearly your ignorance was to blame! And yes your were stupid to assume.

Reactions: Rbruz and scooot
So I crashed. I used the point of interest option and didn't account for the height of a tree behind the building which was my subject. I assumed from the marketing about the Mavic Pro that the sensors would stop the drone from crashing into objects. Well, it didn't and it crashed. I'm now having to deal with a broken vibration board. I hope that's the only thing wrong but so far that's all I noticed. Fair warning to everyone. Don't believe the hype. Be careful and account for everything prior to trusting the automatic features.
PEOPLE LIKE U ARE WHY THIS SPORT IS GETTING HAMMERED. YOU CANT READ, YOU CANT FLY, ALL YOU HAVE IS ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY PEOPLE LIKE THUNDERDRONES TO FIX YOUR MISTAKES.

Reactions: Lailert and Rbruz
I just bought this and on my first flight out found out that the POI doesn't fly in a forward direction. I assumed that it would fly in a forward direction circling the POI so utilizing the sensors and simply point the camera in the direction of the POI. That's not very hard to assume, is it?
My POI trick when around trees/objects is: Get set up at the distance and altitude you want, then face 90 deg to the side and fly ONE COMPLETE circle first (so you can see the circular path), then if all looks OK, face back to center, frame up your shot and you are safe!

Easy now boys, The guy already learned the hard way, No need to rub it in Toruk!!
Let him know what he shouldn't assume, this forum is all about helping, right?

Easy now boys, The guy already learned the hard way, No need to rub it in Toruk!!
Let him know what he shouldn't assume, this forum is all about helping, right?

I'm sometimes tempted to start a troll thread just to see how many people I get jumped by lol. Then compile a list of those people.

Easier to get the member list and check off those who did not jump.

This forum is no different than many others I've been a part of. Anyone do anything that might be frowned upon, despite being a new person to that hobby, you get attacked. Lots of keyboard warriors online let me tell you.....

There are more constructive ways to tell someone they're making a mistake than to call them names or call them out like Turok did. Take a chill pill dude. Everyone has a learning curve.

Reactions: Blades
Hardly - the original post was arrogantly blaming the drone when it was 100% clear user error and user ignorance. Helping is one thing but you can't fix stupid.

Regardless of the disussion. The best way to get out of the collision is to simply use left stick to stop or change the direction of rotation round the poi.

As to the sensitivity of the collision detection. I was in tripod mode flying at walking pace through some trees while i followed about 4m behind it. The mavic suddenly stopped because it could see a single branch thinner than my finger, that I didn't notice by site. Full marks to dji.

PEOPLE LIKE U ARE WHY THIS SPORT IS GETTING HAMMERED. YOU CANT READ, YOU CANT FLY, ALL YOU HAVE IS ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY PEOPLE LIKE THUNDERDRONES TO FIX YOUR MISTAKES.
Stop shouting FFS ;).

In future please turn off your caps lock off, if you can't then please buy another keyboard thanks.

Reactions: Blades
I wouldn't want to put the gimbal back together. How'd you like to work in dji's sweat shop. The poor Chinese. They probably taze them if they fall asleep

Hardly - the original post was arrogantly blaming the drone when it was 100% clear user error and user ignorance. Helping is one thing but you can't fix stupid.

If he doesn't learn from his mistake, I then agree. I'm betting he will.

I did the same thing early on - started up a POI without checking behind me, then froze up in horror as I turned around and saw my nice new Mavic heading straight for a tree. In my case, I lucked out and my drone was circling at a large enough radius that it missed the tree. So, NOW I always check all around before starting a POI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake