DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

any advice for road trip?

Isn't the National Park limitation solely for takeoff and landing? In other words, can't you launch outside of federal land and then fly over it (obviously not NFZs!)?
True... but most of the area around Sedona is National Wilderness... there is a 2000’ min altitude in those wildernes areas as opposed to National Parks.

I use Google Earth for much of my advance planning. You can actually previsualize shots and flights quite effectively with it.

Isn't the National Park limitation solely for takeoff and landing? In other words, can't you launch outside of federal land and then fly over it (obviously not NFZs!)?
I'm not sure you understand the scale of the Grand Canyon. Whether or not the idea is valid, it's of no use at GCNP because of So. Much. Bigness.
Forget it.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Hmm, as cool as I think this area and the Grand Canyon are they are similar to the Organ Mountains (even tho not near as colorful as these places) which are 15 minutes from my house in Las Cruces, NM and that I have plenty of footage from.
As much as I appreciate all suggestions, as I mentioned, I've only just started the planning stage and now I'm thinking somewhere where there are lots of mountains, forests and hopefully waterfalls.
Pikes Peak is just a little further from me and the area has lots of beautiful surroundings with far less restrictions according to AirMap.
Thanks again everyone!

I use Google Earth for much of my advance planning. You can actually previsualize shots and flights quite effectively with it.
Yes, I've been buds with Google Earth since it was released...can you imagine the days when we only had paper maps?!

For the North Rim of Grand Canyon you might research areas of Kaibab National Forest west of Highway 67 (I think that’s the correct number). If you have a high clearance vehicle you can head west on gravel / two track roads towards a number of points that overlook the canyon. In many of the areas the National Park Boundary is the edge of the canyon - into the canyon is National Park while outside is National Forest. You could pilot from the National Forest and once your drone is 100’ up you’ll have great views even without flying over the actual canyon or National Park terrain. There is a famous Mountain Bike trail in the National Forest that traverses miles of the rim within the National Forest. It’s called the Rainbow Rim Trail. If you research access points and roads for that, you’ll be in some good areas.

Possible to dispersed camp in many sections of that area or return to Jacob Lake or the National Park North Rim for motel accomodations - but reservations probably fill months in advance. Longer drive out to Fredonia, but that’s a less crowded option.

Howard

Reactions: tlswift58
You can always submit as request to the NPS for Special Permission to fly. North Rim would probably be best, as far fewer people go to the North Rim. May have to designate where you plan on flying too. Several trails / roads going to outer points up there that would possibly be zero people there, esp the trails needing a truck / SUV / 4x4 with ground clearance to get there.

Never hurts to try - may be surprised with an approval.

I will be doing a 4-5 day road trip from southern New Mexico to the Grand Canyon area and back solely for the purpose of getting footage sometime in May.
I'd like to find all legal interesting places to fly and plan everything in advance as much as I can.
I've looked at B4UFLY but there's not enuf real estate on my tablet...is there an app like this for a desktop PC?
Any advice for the planning stages or suggested spots along the way?
Thanks,
Randy
I flew in that Area several years ago and the Grand Canyon is off limits but outside of the Grand Canyon will give you more than enough Footage and Video!

Thanks guys I'll check them out!
I realize any national park is off limits but I'm hoping I can get close enuf to see some coolness. ?
I took my mavic 2 Pro into the Grand Canyon not powered on, no propellers installed and used it as a camera only. Probably not what you were hoping for but the quality of 4k RAW images verses lugging my DSLR around was worth it for me. Same thing at Arches. I did get approached at the Grand Canyon and was told I couldnt have the drone there. I explained that was not true. I couldn't launch a drone. It in effect was just a camera. Guy wanted to argue and I let him vent but just ignored him for the most part. As long as you are following the rules you should be fine. I did get permission at Coral dunes which is a State Park and not National. Got some really cool video there. Good Luck

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I did get permission at Coral dunes which is a State Park and not National. Got some really cool video there.
Hmm, we have White Sands here (actually gypsum) but it's restricted due to being across from White Sands Missile Range (and they even shut down the only highway running between them for an hour or more when testing missiles). That said, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask them if it can be lifted occasionally, I'd love to get some low altitude footage of the dunes in sports mode!

True... but most of the area around Sedona is National Wilderness... there is a 2000’ min altitude in those wildernes areas as opposed to National Parks.
Not according to the FAA's application. Grand Cyn is a NFZ for drones, while Sedona and surrounds have no restrictions, at least per FAA. The US Department of Agriculture has a guidance document to not "fly over wilderness areas." The rocks visible from West Sedona proper are not in Red Rock Wilderness area.

I would agree that flying into the crevasses or over the formations might be intruding into the Wilderness area, so a flight from, for example, the Thunder Mountain trailhead to record Chimney Rock, Thunder Mountain, Coffee Pot Rock while not flying OVER them is permitted.

Do you believe flights near the rocks from the town trailheads are prohibited?

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
I will be doing a 4-5 day road trip from southern New Mexico to the Grand Canyon area and back solely for the purpose of getting footage sometime in May.
I'd like to find all legal interesting places to fly and plan everything in advance as much as I can.
I've looked at B4UFLY but there's not enuf real estate on my tablet...is there an app like this for a desktop PC?
Any advice for the planning stages or suggested spots along the way?
Thanks,
Randy
Home - AirMap will give you all the information you need. You can also get LANNC permissions there where applicable.

Nature at its most spectacular!
Great video... Great filming. Congratulations. What trail were you on and can you tell me the position/s where you were standing? I drive up and down 179 regularly.
I found more of your Sedona Red Rocks videos on YouTube. Great work!

Last edited:
Go a bit farther and there are natural bridges and caves(you can fly inside... hundreds of feet tall)... great area... check out Dahl and DeLuca for dinner and the city of Jerome slipping down a mountainside.
View attachment 121454

In case you were wondering, and as tempting as it would no doubt be, I bet flying between that girls legs, while doable, would also be considered a NFZ. ??

• Haha
Reactions: rxlawdude
On a more helpful note (compared to my joke above, which I hope has not offended anybody), consider looking at these two sites below and search for areas where you may be visiting or traveling through en-route. There is not a lot of info at these, but I keep these bookmarked, as you never know when you may get useful information.

1) This site here is on these forums

2) This site here is organized by state & city.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: G Randy Brown
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial