DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

any advice for road trip?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I will be doing a 4-5 day road trip from southern New Mexico to the Grand Canyon area and back solely for the purpose of getting footage sometime in May.
I'd like to find all legal interesting places to fly and plan everything in advance as much as I can.
I've looked at B4UFLY but there's not enuf real estate on my tablet...is there an app like this for a desktop PC?
Any advice for the planning stages or suggested spots along the way?
Thanks,
Randy

I believe Kittyhawk is available through browser interface.
FAA facilities map certainly is, which shows controlled airspace, which are LAANC capable, and maximum altitude within them that can get automated approval on a per square mile basis.
That doesn't take into account for TFRs and NOTAMs as the apps do though.

Note that Grand Canyon National Park area is effectively NFZ. I thought it was under a TFR, but neither Kittyhawk nor Airmap show a TFR for it, B4UFly citing NPS 2014 rules about operations in NPS. Still, it would be difficult to overfly NPS land to get to the canyon itself without setting foot in NPS land.

Thanks guys I'll check them out!
I realize any national park is off limits but I'm hoping I can get close enuf to see some coolness. ?

I have read that the Grand Canyon is off limits, such a great pity but I suppose there's enough scenery there for a ground hog to be 'gobsmacked'.

I've been using this: app.airmap.com on my desktop to research areas. If anyone has info on why this one is a poor choice, I'd like to know! (Very new to drone flying.)
Seems to be same as the mobile app. I prefer it to Kittyhawk. KH seems too busy in appearance.

Well I get the same results with Kittyhawk as I do with B4UFLY (shows installed on my devices but can't seem to use on desktop).
Airmap on the other hand is working great for me...thanks again!

• Most all tribal lands between NM and GCNP are fly-by-permit only. I've not sought a permit, but I would be surprised to learn they're easy to get.
  • All land administered by the Nat'l Park Svc--including the Glen Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area--is off limits.
  • You're good on all Forest Service and BLM land, excepting Wilderness Areas and such.
  • There are areas with considerable private ownership along your way. Overflights may or may not be welcome, but finding owners to seek their permission can be time-consuming.
All that said, there are some truly fine places open to drones along your way, including many I've never heard of, I'm sure. Don't forget to look down; May is the tail-end of the desert bloom, not to be overlooked!

I will be doing a 4-5 day road trip from southern New Mexico to the Grand Canyon area and back solely for the purpose of getting footage sometime in May.
I'd like to find all legal interesting places to fly and plan everything in advance as much as I can.
I've looked at B4UFLY but there's not enuf real estate on my tablet...is there an app like this for a desktop PC?
Any advice for the planning stages or suggested spots along the way?
Thanks,
Randy
Make a stop at Sedona... a lot of wildernes areas, but fingers between where you can fly... spectacular... one of many I did from about 12 hrs of video from one of several sites visited by a hike of less that a mile.

• Most all tribal lands between NM and GCNP are fly-by-permit only. I've not sought a permit, but I would be surprised to learn they're easy to get.
  • All land administered by the Nat'l Park Svc--including the Glen Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area--is off limits.
  • You're good on all Forest Service and BLM land, excepting Wilderness Areas and such.
  • There are areas with considerable private ownership along your way. Overflights may or may not be welcome, but finding owners to seek their permission can be time-consuming.
All that said, there are some truly fine places open to drones along your way, including many I've never heard of, I'm sure. Don't forget to look down; May is the tail-end of the desert bloom, not to be overlooked!
Enuf said, I'll go early May or end of April then!

Make a stop at Sedona... a lot of wildernes areas, but fingers between where you can fly... spectacular... one of many I did from about 12 hrs of video from one of several sites visited by a hike of less that a mile.
Nice, I'll check it out!

Go a bit farther and there are natural bridges and caves(you can fly inside... hundreds of feet tall)... great area... check out Dahl and DeLuca for dinner and the city of Jerome slipping down a mountainside.
Don't forget Mariposa, Pizza Lisa, and Cucina Rustica (VOC). Love Sedona, and it's probably where we'll retire to.

Go a bit farther and there are natural bridges and caves(you can fly inside... hundreds of feet tall)... great area... check out Dahl and DeLuca for dinner and the city of Jerome slipping down a mountainside.
View attachment 121454
Where exactly is this?

It is on a branch trail from the one that goes past Seven Pools and the giant sinkhole. There are maps at the trail heads.
Google can help you.... here’s the link I used
Hmm, I'm old and have health issues (2 mile roundtrip is my limit these days) but maybe I'll get my whippersnapper daughter to go and shoot with my video camera (while I fly around the area)...I'm just looking for footage to sync with some of my music like this one

Last edited:
Reactions: mikea59
Hmm, I'm old and have health issues (2 mile roundtrip is my limit these days) but maybe I'll get my whippersnapper daughter to go and shoot with my video camera...I'm just looking for footage to sync with some of my music like this one
That music would go well with Cathedral Rock... TO about 1/4 mile from parking lot.

Don’t miss the Superstition Mtns. While your here:

Reactions: G Randy Brown
That music would go well with Cathedral Rock... TO about 1/4 mile from parking lot.

Don’t miss the Superstition Mtns. While your here:
1/4 mile is more my speed...thanks I'll make this one of my stops.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada