DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to check out in Southern Utah

hagman23

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just planned a last minute trip to southern central Utah and am hoping to get some info on any interesting locations to shoot some pics/video. I am 107 and know I can't fly in Zion, Bryce, and Wilderness Areas - I'm hoping for a few recommendations or any "can't miss" spots around Mount Carmel Junction area. Looked at the sub-forum for Utah and didn't see much info.

I've been looking at maps and have seen some really interesting cliffs and canyons, but also don't want to p**s off any locals and not be "that drone person", like the person I watched take off from the Blue Ridge Parkway the other evening with no regard for NFZs.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: twickers14
Wish there were more of these queries which makes it easier to pick and find new spots to fly across the country. Beats arriving on the scene and facing the local challenges where you just don't know for sure what you're getting into.

Reactions: hagman23
Best thing to do is look up videos on YouTube from places in the area. I’ll usually type “Drone Ogden Utah” (just an example) see what videos come up. Then sometimes I’ll message the creator of the video to see if they have any ideas.

This works well when traveling. I have luck with this and have made some good contacts doing so.

I’ll also search Facebook for local drone groups in those areas. I understand not everyone uses Facebook but it’s a great resource for finding local groups.

Reactions: hagman23 and Torque
Just planned a last minute trip to southern central Utah and am hoping to get some info on any interesting locations to shoot some pics/video. I am 107 and know I can't fly in Zion, Bryce, and Wilderness Areas - I'm hoping for a few recommendations or any "can't miss" spots around Mount Carmel Junction area. Looked at the sub-forum for Utah and didn't see much info.

I've been looking at maps and have seen some really interesting cliffs and canyons, but also don't want to p**s off any locals and not be "that drone person", like the person I watched take off from the Blue Ridge Parkway the other evening with no regard for NFZs.

Thanks in advance!
There’s a well maintained unpaved road off of 89 heading SE out of Kanab which goes to Paria - a former town where part of a set from The Outlaw Josey Wales was filmed. The set has been flooded out, burned down, and vandalized - not sure how many times, but in that area are some beautiful views for photos and videos. Search for Paria, UT for some images of the area.

Closer to Kanab there is Coral Pink Sands state park. I don’t believe you can fly from the park during summer months, but I haven’t found any restrictions taking off/landing from the adjacent road. Beautiful colors there. Good place to go early in the am.

Heading north on 89 from Carmel Junction there also some great looks along the way towards Bryce, mostly if you explore by getting off the road.

If you do head up to Bryce, there’s an area before you get there off of 12 called Red Rock Canyon. It’s similar to Bryce and has some unpaved road areas to explore to be out of the way of people. And if you explore Route 12 past Bryce, it’s one of the most scenic roads you will find and there are limitless beautiful spots along the way.

Also heading up 89 towards Bryce and before route 12, there’s route 14 heading west towards Cedar Breaks and Cedar City which have some excellent views.

Personally I prefer to stay clear of where people are when flying, and the areas I mentioned are generally pretty good for that.

No shortage of opportunities, for sure. Hope you have a great visit.

Best thing to do is look up videos on YouTube from places in the area. I’ll usually type “Drone Ogden Utah” (just an example) see what videos come up. Then sometimes I’ll message the creator of the video to see if they have any ideas.

This works well when traveling. I have luck with this and have made some good contacts doing so.

I’ll also search Facebook for local drone groups in those areas. I understand not everyone uses Facebook but it’s a great resource for finding local groups.
I love all of those YT videos in areas and parks that are in obviously restricted areas. Maybe all you have to do is ask or get a permit.

I love this area. One of my favorites is the SE corner. That area is loaded with arch sites, including many cliff dwellings. Cliff dwellings are a little bit of a challenge as the closer you get the more sky you lose and you have to watch your gps coverage. If you want to do a little exploring, I suggest a book...

We stay in Bluff or Blanding and explore from there.

Nat

There’s a well maintained unpaved road off of 89 heading SE out of Kanab which goes to Paria - a former town where part of a set from The Outlaw Josey Wales was filmed. The set has been flooded out, burned down, and vandalized - not sure how many times, but in that area are some beautiful views for photos and videos. Search for Paria, UT for some images of the area.

Closer to Kanab there is Coral Pink Sands state park. I don’t believe you can fly from the park during summer months, but I haven’t found any restrictions taking off/landing from the adjacent road. Beautiful colors there. Good place to go early in the am.

Heading north on 89 from Carmel Junction there also some great looks along the way towards Bryce, mostly if you explore by getting off the road.

If you do head up to Bryce, there’s an area before you get there off of 12 called Red Rock Canyon. It’s similar to Bryce and has some unpaved road areas to explore to be out of the way of people. And if you explore Route 12 past Bryce, it’s one of the most scenic roads you will find and there are limitless beautiful spots along the way.

Also heading up 89 towards Bryce and before route 12, there’s route 14 heading west towards Cedar Breaks and Cedar City which have some excellent views.

Personally I prefer to stay clear of where people are when flying, and the areas I mentioned are generally pretty good for that.

No shortage of opportunities, for sure. Hope you have a great visit.
Thank you for all this fantastic information! Really looking forward to finally getting to spend some time in this area.

My wife and I are going through the area around the 4th of July. Thanks for all your input and are route 12 & 14 pretty slow going ? After a drive through Zion we're planning on taking 9 over to 89 and heading north to Grand Junction for the night.

My wife and I are going through the area around the 4th of July. Thanks for all your input and are route 12 & 14 pretty slow going ? After a drive through Zion we're planning on taking 9 over to 89 and heading north to Grand Junction for the night.
Routes 12 & 14 are 2-lane roads with varying speed limits. Route 14 would take you out of your way, but if you have the time to take 12 from 89, that road is considered one of Utah's most scenic roads and well worth it.

Route 12 goes right past Bryce Canyon and ends at Torrey, where you can head east towards Hanksville and eventually to I-70 to take you to Grand Junction. Torrey is the town adjacent to Capitol Reef National Park, one of Utah's big five, and the least visited generally because of it's location within the state. Even if you don't have the time to go into Capitol Reef, route 24 takes you through the edge of the park with some fantastic scenery.

At that time of year, one recommendation is to get on the road early to give you ample time for stops along the way.

Routes 12 & 14 are 2-lane roads with varying speed limits. Route 14 would take you out of your way, but if you have the time to take 12 from 89, that road is considered one of Utah's most scenic roads and well worth it.

Route 12 goes right past Bryce Canyon and ends at Torrey, where you can head east towards Hanksville and eventually to I-70 to take you to Grand Junction. Torrey is the town adjacent to Capitol Reef National Park, one of Utah's big five, and the least visited generally because of it's location within the state. Even if you don't have the time to go into Capitol Reef, route 24 takes you through the edge of the park with some fantastic scenery.

At that time of year, one recommendation is to get on the road early to give you ample time for stops along the way.

Thank you so much for the information. We're excited to go through Utah because we've never been there before. We're staying in Cedar City then early morning heading to Zion, mostly just for a drive through, then the journey up to Grand Junction for the next night.
Have a great day !

Reactions: GDadd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13