DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any experiences Drone fishing with the Drone Skyhook?

Simple minds...and deep pockets!!
There’s just no need for this kind of response. I’m sure it’s a serious question to the author ... don’t be a jerk.
All that will do is set up an environment where people are hesitant to ask questions for fear of how they “will look”.

The truth is ...
The only dumb question is one you don’t ask.

1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

3) Pull the hook straight up would physically pull the hook out of its mouth.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this moronic idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s and protected areas? Funny. I frankly hope you lose your drone.

5) Find something better to do with your time.
Actually they have quick release attachment, like what is used on downriggers, you could use. That way it releases from the drone when the line gets pulled

I don’t think the idea is to fish with the mavic, rather mavic will allow the fisherman to cast a really long way.

Mavic drops the line once it’s away from the shore and the fisherman reels the line back in with a rod/reel.
What were those folks thinking? He was going to hover the Mavic with the line attached?

This forum is getting worse day by day. So many critics and rude members. They contribute nothing and just take up space.
When it gets to the point the rudeness exceeds the great ideas, learning moments, technical assistance and just fun feedback, myself and others I'm sure, will just refrain from coming here. And that's a shame. I've learned so much from the "good" people here.

I get what your saying about flying your bait out a little further and letting go...but that salty marine environment is going to cause a lot of corrosion problems on all those circuit boards and you can't rinse it off because that will mess up the electronics as well...it's just not made for that environment...have fun, be safe fly safe

Reactions: Kazz
This forum is getting worse day by day. So many critics and rude members. They contribute nothing and just take up space.
When it gets to the point the rudeness exceeds the great ideas, learning moments, technical assistance and just fun feedback, myself and others I'm sure, will just refrain from coming here. And that's a shame. I've learned so much from the "good" people here.
Believe me when I say it has been seen and being talked about as how to turn it it around .
At the moment all you can do is put members you see acting as such on ignore or just report the post if it's in violation
of a guideline . Thats pretty much all I have to use to try and contain it .I delete and clean threads and the crying starts to Admin .
Now even though this is in OT now No More on this in this thread as it really would turn it south and would be closed .
I would hate that for the OP as well as anymore that really want info on the topic he started .

1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this moronic idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s and protected areas? Funny. I frankly hope you lose your drone.

You do t use this to catch fish. You use it to carry the hook as far as I need and then release it. Just so you don’t think everyone is an idiot.

Reactions: jaybird66
In order to maintain accuracy I thought I’d post this video for the ones claiming that you do not “fish with the drone and it is only used to cast further” crowd. So yes, you spot fish drop and the bait on them. Yes, you do hover the drone with the bait attached.

Reactions: Birdbirdman
This idea is as old as fishing. I live in Micronesia and the Southwest Islanders in Palau had developed a method using a large leaf that does the same thing. The Yapese also used breadfruit tree leaves for the same purpose. It has been called kite or leaf fishing. It allows the fisherman to fly the bait out just past the surfline to target certain species.

Encyclopedia of Islands

And the Indonesians have been doing kite fishing for centuries and you still see it there.

Ancient Kite Fishing Technique Makes Its Way Into Modern Waters

So this is no new revelation, just a new application.

Last edited:
Who are all the people worried about corrosion?? Do none of you fly at the beach to take photos? I was flying through the salt spray as waves crashed 30 feet high after a storm recently, what's the point of owning a drone if you don't fly at the beach?!
This idea is as old as fishing. I live in Micronesia and the Southwest Islanders in Palau had developed a method using a large leaf that does the same thing. The Yapese also used breadfruite tree leaves for the same purpose. It has been called kite or leaf fishing. It allows the fisherman to fly the bait out just past the surfline to target certain species.

Encyclopedia of Islands

And the Indonesians have been doing kite fishing for centuries and you still see it there.

Ancient Kite Fishing Technique Makes Its Way Into Modern Waters

So this is no new revelation, just a new application.
Kites are popular here in Florida(USA) as well

Reactions: TheRock
Does not matter. This is a direct interaction with wildlife via drone. The most pervasive argument against drones is this very concept. You need to comprehend that.

Are you for real? Your life must be so boring if you’re not prepared to experiment.
You’d better get back to your game of dominos.

Reactions: Aerial West
Are you for real? Your life must be so boring if you’re not prepared to experiment.
You’d better get back to your game of dominos.

Yes I’m for real. No need to insult. I am not bored, trust me. I’m a physician assistant, when I’m not working I can guarantee you I’m in the mountains flyfishing or I’m on the ocean flyfishing. My point is that none of you guys bother to see the other side of opinion. I’ve seen so much moaning and groaning over various bans, mostly about NP’s, with little to no consideration of public and official viewpoints or opinions on the matter of drones in these areas. All I see is YOUR opinion, and what YOU would like to do bc it’s fun for YOU. Well here we are once again...you have an avid lifelong fisherman who has traveled the world doing so telling you from a fisherman’s point of view that they find it obtrusive and problematic. However, once again, not one drone enthusiast cares bc it has nothing to do with what THEY would like to do with their drone. Just saying. Maybe something to consider, how you look to the public. Good day to you.

Reactions: Classic flyer

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s.

I thought this unit was only meant to drop the end of the line out? Is that not the case?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest