DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any experiences Drone fishing with the Drone Skyhook?

Yes I’m for real. No need to insult. I am not bored, trust me. I’m a physician assistant, when I’m not working I can guarantee you I’m in the mountains flyfishing or I’m on the ocean flyfishing. My point is that none of you guys bother to see the other side of opinion. I’ve seen so much moaning and groaning over various bans, mostly about NP’s, with little to no consideration of public and official viewpoints or opinions on the matter of drones in these areas. All I see is YOUR opinion, and what YOU would like to do bc it’s fun for YOU. Well here we are once again...you have an avid lifelong fisherman who has traveled the world doing so telling you from a fisherman’s point of view that they find it obtrusive and problematic. However, once again, not one drone enthusiast cares bc it has nothing to do with what THEY would like to do with their drone. Just saying. Maybe something to consider, how you look to the public. Good day to you.
True that Doc...nicely said!

Reactions: Colberado
I just don't know why someone would expose an electronic device ( that isn't intended to do this) to all that salty damp air and sand
tools are what you use them for, nothing less. i know projects where the drone is intended to crash or even be engulfed in flames. I flew over an explosion knowing the drone would be toast. it's for what the owner decides it is for, nothing more or less.

Reactions: Phill
tools are what you use them for, nothing less. i know projects where the drone is intended to crash or even be engulfed in flames. I flew over an explosion knowing the drone would be toast. it's for what the owner decides it is for, nothing more or less.
I agree fully...this tool was designed and built for PHOTOGRAPHY...a true craftsman knows how to use his tools properly...how ever you look at it the electronics package in this "TOOL" wasn't meant to be exposed to a corrosive environment...I'm sure there are drones out there better suited for that, but it's your drone your $$ use it as you see fit...be safe, fly safe!

Reference the video I posted. No it’s not the case.

I watched all three videos in this thread, and all of them use a drone to drop the bait and a rod/reel to actually being the fish in.

Did you see a different video where they are using a drone to catch fish and bring them to shore?

I watched all three videos in this thread, and all of them use a drone to drop the bait and a rod/reel to actually being the fish in.

Did you see a different video where they are using a drone to catch fish and bring them to shore?

In the video I posted the user flies the bait over a school of blue fin tuna, drops the bait in the middle of them while the line is still attached to the drone. Only once the tuna takes and runs with the bait does the line release from the drone. That is not how many posters here were describing the method, although I’m sure some folks use it just to cast.

it's your drone your $$ use it as you see fit.
that's the best advice.

Many tools have different uses, and many are used now for entirely different purposes because creative's and artisans saw beyond the first thing written on the box.

Bravo to the people who took other things and never the first drone.

Bubble wrap started as wall paper. Be creative. Think outside the box.

Drone Skyhook just came today. Not going to be able to use it for a while. anyone had a chance to use one of these yet?View attachment 39410

I use a home made hook to take the bait out then rotate the drone and fly backwards to drop it.
I then bring the drone back while I wait.
Works well but I still haven't caught anything :(

Reactions: ROBERTNCREST
In the video I posted the user flies the bait over a school of blue fin tuna, drops the bait in the middle of them while the line is still attached to the drone. Only once the tuna takes and runs with the bait does the line release from the drone. That is not how many posters here were describing the method, although I’m sure some folks use it just to cast.

That was here in OZ
The line was attached with a rubber band that broke when the tuna took the bait.

I understand that...I just don't know why someone would expose an electronic device ( that isn't intended to do this) to all that salty damp air and sand...nothing kills electronics like a marine environment, even when it's designed to be there...

I live at the beach.
Should I drive inland to fly or just hose it down to get the salt off after flying?

1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

3) Pull the hook straight up would physically pull the hook out of its mouth.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s.

5) Find something better to do with your time.
You should really spend as much time researching the topic as you do posting about something you obviously don't understand....

Maybe so but it does just carry bait but the OP made it sound like he was using the drone to HOOK and bring the fish in when he said he didn’t want to “put too much stain on the motors and keep it under a pound”
Maybe he can chime in and clear this up.
I’ve been fishing for 50 years and never known a surf fishermen using a 16 ounce sinker. So I assume he is using it to haul in a 16 ounce fish.

In before the lock down. Hehe
Actually the weight of the BAIT and Lead can easily be 1#.

Y
1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

3) Pull the hook straight up would physically pull the hook out of its mouth.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s.

5) Find something better to do with your time.
You're kidding, Right? You fly the bait out and drop it and you're fishing. You are not fishing with the MP.

Thanks for the clarification. I watched the video but did not pick up on this particular detail.

Y
I agree fully...this tool was designed and built for PHOTOGRAPHY...a true craftsman knows how to use his tools properly...how ever you look at it the electronics package in this "TOOL" wasn't meant to be exposed to a corrosive environment...I'm sure there are drones out there better suited for that, but it's your drone your $$ use it as you see fit...be safe, fly safe!
You keep saying it isn't meant for the corrosive environment of the ocean, so I shouldn't go to the beach and take pictures of the sunsets on the ocean or shoreline along the beach. Doesn't really seem logical to me.

Y

You're kidding, Right? You fly the bait out and drop it and you're fishing. You are not fishing with the MP.

In all honesty I was responding with insight from another response to the OP about large fish pulling on the bait. However, if you’d like to read further, its been established that some ppl do in fact use the drones to put the bait in the mouths of fish rather than just casting. It’s beside the point of my original and continued theme of why I don’t see this as constructive to drones but I’ve exhausted the effort of responding to folks that don’t read the thread and have yet to receive any valid or mature responses.

Reactions: Prospero
In all honesty I was responding with insight from another response to the OP about large fish pulling on the bait. However, if you’d like to read further, its been established that some ppl do in fact use the drones to put the bait in the mouths of fish rather than just casting. It’s beside the point of my original and continued theme of why I don’t see this as constructive to drones but I’ve exhausted the effort of responding to folks that don’t read the thread and have yet to receive any valid or mature responses.
I can't help but wonder how drone fishing will be regarded by the general public, and, more importantly, by the authorities...

I
I Suspected this would be your response, I get what your saying, you don't think this is a good use of a quad copter and purist will object and try to control the use, might be correct too. What I was thinking you must be kidding there's no way the MP is hauling in a fish the size of let's say a large mouth bass. Just so you know I read the entire thread and have seen several videos of fishing with drones and the object of casting is to get the bait into the fish's mouth. I do think you maybe correct though fishing with my MP isn't for me but if someone else wants to, I'll not care if its made illegal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair