DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any experiences Drone fishing with the Drone Skyhook?

I can't help but wonder how drone fishing will be regarded by the general public, and, more importantly, by the authorities...

No probs down here.
Not flying over people or property and only using it to "cast"
In Western Australia they use balloons to take their lines out on the prevailing winds..

Reactions: Birdbirdman
I

I Suspected this would be your response, I get what your saying, you don't think this is a good use of a quad copter and purist will object and try to control the use, might be correct too. What I was thinking you must be kidding there's no way the MP is hauling in a fish the size of let's say a large mouth bass. Just so you know I read the entire thread and have seen several videos of fishing with drones and the object of casting is to get the bait into the fish's mouth. I do think you maybe correct though fishing with my MP isn't for me but if someone else wants to, I'll not care if its made illegal.

Appreciate your response. And yes, when I first read it I thought it sounded far-fetched as well. Honestly had no clue people were doing this.

Go to UAV EXPERT NEWS....just released " ROBO ROD" ...not looking to start a big hoopla just passing information...be safe fly safe

Just goes to show there's still plenty of stuff to be invented.
I can't see it being of much use in the surf but in calm water it would be great especially for disabled people that can't cast themselves but love fishing.

I can't see it being of much use in the surf but in calm water it would be great especially for disabled people that can't cast themselves but love fishing.
Sir you just showed me a whole new perspective...my ignorance didn't allow me to see the benefits to the disabled...thanx, be safe fly safe

Reactions: Phill

That would be a noble use for it, and I echo your cause for providing alternatives to the physically disabled (presuming that’s what you mean). However, I can’t liken it to this scenario. Especially when the slogan of their product is to allow man to fish in places they haven’t been able to before (without determination to get there). Having drones for the physically disabled who enjoy fishing is entirely anecdotal, and borderline red herring on this topic. If that were your motive, why not just cast a rod then hand it to them so they can actually enjoy catching a fish? Rather than plucking fish out of the water from the air via joysticks with the absolute certainty of maiming...just to fly it back to the user. For what? To touch the fish? Sounds more like fish farming to me. And like I said before, another unnecessary gimmick use of drones for the careless and bored.

That would be a noble use for it, and I echo your cause for providing alternatives to the physically disabled (presuming that’s what you mean). However, I can’t liken it to this scenario. Especially when the slogan of their product is to allow man to fish in places they haven’t been able to before (without determination to get there). Having drones for the physically disabled who enjoy fishing is entirely anecdotal, and borderline red herring on this topic. If that were your motive, why not just cast a rod then hand it to them so they can actually enjoy catching a fish? Rather than plucking fish out of the water from the air via joysticks with the absolute certainty of maiming...just to fly it back to the user. For what? To touch the fish? Sounds more like fish farming to me. And like I said before, another unnecessary gimmick use of drones for the careless and bored.

I was referring to the float thing for the disabled not drones.
The disabled that I have met are fiercely independent and would rather do things for themselves.
One example is a guy I know who hooked a 68lb Jewfish off the beach and his mate went to take the rod from him and he said "no way , you hold the wheel chair".
He landed it and made the front page of the local paper with it draped across his lap.
Where I live the beach is about 3 feet deep for 100 yards out.
Using the drone lets me get past that and into deeper water to drop my line.

Drone Skyhook just came today. Not going to be able to use it for a while. anyone had a chance to use one of these yet?View attachment 39410
I have the Sky Hook device on my Mavic, it's great. Used it for surf fishing, out about 300 meters, way cheaper than renting a boat :) best of all I fold the Mavic with the Sky Hook on it when changing location, awesome design.

I get what your saying about flying your bait out a little further and letting go...but that salty marine environment is going to cause a lot of corrosion problems on all those circuit boards and you can't rinse it off because that will mess up the electronics as well...it's just not made for that environment...have fun, be safe fly safe

I've had one of the very first mavic pro's in the united states so i have about the longest flight period you can have.

The entire time she has been within 1/4 mile of the pacific ocean, and she's flown hundreds of flights over water, near the pier down the street, crashing waves, sail boats, has flown from boats, tracking surfers feet away for film shoots, through mist, etc. not to mention tons of flights is dust, desert, snow, even light rain and fog.

Not one issue, ever.

All this talk of using the MP to fish has got me really interested. I’ll be ordering a skyhook today.
Thanks to the OP for bringing it to my attention. Can’t wait to try it out.

...oh and to the guys who are worried that my drone will suffer from water/salt ingress...I’ll just buy another. Simples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lapeer20m
1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

3) Pull the hook straight up would physically pull the hook out of its mouth.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s.

5) Find something better to do with your time.
This forum is attracting more idiot's than Facebook!

1) As another poster mentioned, any sizable fish is going to pull your MP under water.

2) You’re going to have no reasonable way to know if anything is testing the hook.

3) Pull the hook straight up would physically pull the hook out of its mouth.

4) Thank for contributing to the laundry list of drone misuse and further subsequent regulations as a result. I honestly can’t believe previous posters haven’t completely outright objected to this idea. And we wonder why we can’t fly in NP’s.

5) Find something better to do with your time.

I dont think you understood the concept he is referring to. The drone is only used to take the line far out from shore, then dropping it. It is the same concept as casting... only casting hundreds of feet out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa