DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any ideas on how we could land the mavic on water?

My boat is 43'. I haven't tried launching/landing under sail. With the Mavic (better stability, and sensors), I may launch & land from the foredeck.

Where is your boat? Maybe we can do a Mavic/Raft Up meetup. My Jeanneau 349 is in Annapolis, MD on the Chesapeake Bay.

Where is your boat? Maybe we can do a Mavic/Raft Up meetup. My Jeanneau 349 is in Annapolis, MD on the Chesapeake Bay.
Sounds good but unfortunately I am on the other side of the country. Seattle, Wa.

Hi everybody,
I'm a new forum member from Germany, going to order a mavic when the first firmware bugs are eliminated (so hopefully end of the year or maybe january/february). At the moment I'm flying (one of many) a foldable Naza drone with a Zenmuse gimbal - similar to the Mavic but of course not with all it's features. As I'm also going to use the Mavic over water a lot, one of my main concerns is landing/swimming on water. Not because I'm not able to catch or land it on my boat, but If something happens (f.e. low battery) I will be able to land the Mavic on water (even if it is far away) and then go by boat to it and catch it- hopefully - from the surface.
So it someone can show more options for landing on water, I would really appreciate that.

I do not really think that any options are available for landing on water as even a small wave will make it tip over or cover it with some water.

__

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how much it will affect it, but keep in mind there are antennas in the front legs of the Mavic.

d407becd5cab768c6c2f24c773a9b8e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
So, how do you keep the styrofoam balls on the legs?

So you attached front legs to the back arms but what were the extensions you put on the front legs? Are the styrofoam balls simply adhering by the pressure of the legs inserted into them?

I didn't make the floats or the video. You might want to ask your questions via the YouTube video. I'll stick to landing on land until my Mavic gets a little age and I could live with sending it to a watery grave :)

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Applecorps
If you're using your mavic for offshore flying the swell could probably swallow it right up but I see having some for it to float would be better than nothing.

Reactions: Dronebow
Great if you need it... I would be very concerned about increased drag and weight... and $35 for styrofoam balls?

I've had to hand catch my Mavic a couple of times now. Once on a small speed boat and another on a small, yet busy, wooden dock over a lake. To prevent the Mavic from fighting you when a hand gets underneath it, turn off the "Downward Vision" sensor: Visual Navigation Settings > Advance Settings > Enable Vision Positioning at the "off position."

I felt safe pitching the sides of the heat sink with my thumb and index finger to stay away from the propellers.

The reason I would not attempt it is the worst possible outcome is getting slashed across the eyes.

Glasses may not help as the blade may knock them off on the first pass and slice your eyeball on the second pass. It's certainly not worth the risk.

I'm in the same boat. While I'm planning to hand launch and hand catch Mavic while on Yacht, I'd prefer to have some backup, that in case of failure Mavic will stay floating.
Luckily I have acces to the 3D printer, so I figured I'd make float skids out of pool noodle and 3d printed parts. I will share photos and 3d files if anyone will be intrested in them, but it will take some time. While I have it pretty much figured and modeled, to make it work I'd need actual Mavic and I don't have it, yet. :)

Works in calm seas or lakes

Attachments

• IMG_7668.JPG
    IMG_7668.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 66
quick question will the downward vision system stop it from intentionally landing in water i wanted to fly under a local bridge at the river so as i was lining up for height over the river the mavic started going up and down with no input not windy day panicked abit and thought this is not a good idea ?

quick question will the downward vision system stop it from intentionally landing in water i wanted to fly under a local bridge at the river so as i was lining up for height over the river the mavic started going up and down with no input not windy day panicked abit and thought this is not a good idea ?
The downward vision system has trouble judging the distance to the surface of the water. That's why it becomes somewhat erratic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78