DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any issues flying with Samsung phones?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
I'm still waiting for my new Mavic to arrive, so I'm reading up on as much material as I can.

One thing I'm worried about is the use of my Samsung phones.

I have a Note 3 and a Note Edge, both of which require a special cable for data transfer (slightly different than standard Android cables)

Any Android cable will work fine for charging, but whenever I plug into my laptop for data transfer, I have to use a Samsung specific cable.

Not sure if this really matters when flying, but has anyone here run into cable issues with Samsung phones?

The Mavic Pro comes with the USB cable for your Samsung as well as the micro USB and the lightning connector for the iphone.

I use my Note 4 that's been rooted to disable charging from the RC controller. I have no issues with it. Even when it wasn't rooted it still worked fine...

I have been flying my MP on a Note3 from the beginning now. With no Issues. The worst thing is... getting that tiny plug in the correct place so you don't damage it.

Do a quick search for comprehensive information. Bottom line is that many fly with Samsung every day and have no problems, me included and others have problems after problems (probably less Samsung and more Andriod and DJI's approach to software dev). I rock a Note 5 clean install - just apps for Flying and it's working fine. Older notes like 3 used the combo but any micro usb will work.

So is the cable just used for charging or is there actual data transferred to the radio?
Cable between remote controller and phone is primarily for data transfer ... side effect, sometimes unwanted is charging. Your MP will come with cables you need, but some choose to buy their own right angle to connect to the 2nd full size usb port on bottom of RC.

OK, that's the issue I worry about because it seems both of them only work for data transfer when using an Samsung brand cable (other Android cables work fine for charging only, but not data transfer)

I know there's a difference with their MHL cables cause when I connect them to the head unit it my truck, I have to use a small adapter like this for it to actually play on the HU

Micro-USB-5-Pin-to-SIII-11-Pin-HDTV-MHL-Adapter-Tip-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB