DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Negative RID experiences so far?

O.

One. Maybe.

It's difficult to believe that the fellow wouldn't have been able to locate the pilot of the drone flying back and forth over a cotton field just across the road without RID. It's pretty easy to spot a vehicle parked in a field and a person with a controller in his hands watching it. Sure, the angry guy used RID, but this almost certainly would have happened without it.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Maybe even 100 to 1 which would be typical for something like this. I just thought it wasn't fair to claim "it has never happened." I think we already knew it was low percentage. And for sure, no one has ever claim the app would "out" someone who otherwise could not have been "easily found." People can find me if they drive up to my house and walk up and knock on my front door but that doesn't mean when I'm out in town driving around, my address is plastered on the hood of my car. We don't hide when we fly but we would also prefer not to electronically broadcast our details for just anybody to see.

As I predicted, the curve for the RID app is likely gradual and will take some time to develop as awareness grows and drone incursions and incursions increase. And like anything else, once there is a "major incident" and the tech is highlighted, karens around the country will trigger an explosion and once again, the drone community is caught unprepared and flat-footed because we didn't have the forethought to properly recognize ahead of time the true implications.

Not complaining because "it is what it is" at this point but everybody knows RID was and is a bad idea. How many bg's have we caught, zero? :p

I think it's probably safe to assume that some folks may be curious about drones they observe but not enough to warrant their installing an app to identify the operators. A lot of them might not even be aware that such apps exist. On the other hand, it may also be safe to assume that those who install and use an app might be motivated by something other than simple curiosity. The best way to avoid confrontation with them is to be a responsible operator -- one who abides by FAA regulations and who's sensitive to the rights of others.

Be careful before advocating or considering the use of irritant sprays. They can cause more than temporary discomfort, and spraying someone could result in assault charges and arrest.

And for sure, no one has ever claim the app would "out" someone who otherwise could not have been "easily found."

Please, now. There were numerous dire predictions here on this forum of RID enabling attacks on pilots. Some were so sure of RID-enabled attacks that they were speculating about firearms, body cameras, pepper sprays, and other defenses.

How many bg's have we caught, zero? :p

To parallel you pointing out a single arguable RID-enabled incident, one might point to the case of the Chinese student identified and detained for flying over Newport News Shipyard. Of course, he may turn out to be just a clueless and curious young person rather than a bad guy. Wasn't RID used to make the cases against the drone operators accused of smuggling contraband into Georgia prisons? And some of the stadium flights?

Reactions: okw
So maybe going forward we can stop pretending there have been zero incidents?

We? Sorry, never pretended any such thing.

Don't think anyone else here has either.

Post an article about a similar incident for mistaken trespassing, and I'd also answer, "so?"

The point is, and always has been, the risk of an encounter is tiny. I've seen nothing to invalidate that to date, and RID has been broadcasting from most DJI drones sold in the last 3 years for how long now?

Reactions: Torque and MS Coast
Please, now. There were numerous dire predictions here on this forum of RID enabling attacks on pilots. Some were so sure of RID-enabled attacks that they were speculating about firearms, body cameras, pepper sprays, and other defenses.
To be fair, I would advocate the use of those self-defensive tools regardless of RID or not. Been implementing them for years, no one should make that link. Unfortunate it was brought up in the RID out of context but again, that was not the primary response to the RID deployment, no one ever claimed we'll have to resort to extraordinary measures as soon as RID is launched. I know many tried to force that theory upon us in an attempt to counter the argument but the fact remains, there were "confrontations" against law-abiding pilots before and there will be after and it's disheartening to know technology is making it easier not harder.

To parallel you pointing out a single arguable RID-enabled incident, one might point to the case of the Chinese student identified and detained for flying over Newport News Shipyard. Of course, he may turn out to be just a clueless and curious young person rather than a bad guy. Wasn't RID used to make the cases against the drone operators accused of smuggling contraband into Georgia prisons? And some of the stadium flights?
I don't have all the facts and details but it sounds like from what I read, the student crashed his drone and the authorities got ahold of that drone and use pre-RID capabilities and techniques to track him down. I am not aware of a case where RID has played a significant role in deterring and/or solving a crime but I guess I won't take the same position as the others and claim I haven't read about it so it hasn't happened. Pretty sure it has happened, we just may not know about it. My only argument is personally I hate to give up some of my privacy (to the public) so a few criminals could be stopped; I don't like trading too much freedom just for security.

I have yet to see what I get out of RID, still waiting.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
... no one ever claimed we'll have to resort to extraordinary measures as soon as RID is launched.

Reactions: Torque
Unfortunate it was brought up in the RID out of context but again, that was not the primary response to the RID deployment, no one ever claimed we'll have to resort to extraordinary measures as soon as RID is launched.
Those are not extraordinary measures. From what I can tell, there has been no extra steps taken by drone flyer....just continue to do what you do.

Ok, I think I've made my point. I'll just make reference to this post whenever someone claims there have been zero reports of anyone getting attacked by a karen using RID detection. In the meantime, I'm open to anyone who has a post which claims the authorities tracked down and arrested a criminal after primarily using the RID details. Yet you won't see me claim it has never happened but at some point, we have to ask how important was it to increase cost, reduce privacy, ground drones that were not compliant, create a ghost RID market, and implement yet another rule that is rarely enforced and that so far has shown no tangible benefit to the community overall.

Those are not extraordinary measures. From what I can tell, there has been no extra steps taken by drone flyer....just continue to do what you do.

Ok, I think I've made my point. I'll just make reference to this post whenever someone claims there have been zero reports of anyone getting attacked by a karen using RID detection. In the meantime, I'm open to anyone who has a post which claims the authorities tracked down and arrested a criminal after primarily using the RID details. Yet you won't see me claim it has never happened but at some point, we have to ask how important was it to increase cost, reduce privacy, ground drones that were not compliant, create a ghost RID market, and implement yet another rule that is rarely enforced and that so far has shown no tangible benefit to the community overall.

I consider packing a firearm and bear spray out of fear of a confrontation when flying a drone to be extraordinary measures. If I wake up tomorrow with a fear so great that I'd have to be ready to use violent force against someone while flying a drone, I'll just go fishing instead. But, that hasn't happened yet.

When I used to step out the doors of airplanes at a couple thousand feet or more, there was a big difference between 0 and 1 with respect to parachutes. But there's no remotely significant difference between 0 and 1 with respect to the probability of dangerous incidents occurring during tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of US drone flights daily, There's simply no significant problem.

(Yes, I know I'm naive about self protection and I should go tell it to the one victim.)

Tell that to the poor farmer out minding his business when all of a sudden....

Why? How does that change the statistics?

That statement above is as meaningful as saying, "tell that to the families of the passengers that died in [plane crash X]" when someone points out the fact that flying is the safest way to travel.

It's not rational, it's hysteria.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've made my point.

Not that I can deduce.

What was the point you were making? That RID will result in someone somewhere being harassed by someone sometime?

Who argued the other side of that on the forum?

I consider packing a firearm and bear spray out of fear of a confrontation when flying a drone to be extraordinary measures.
Not me (not most of us), never do I "consider packing a firearm and bear spray out of fear of a confrontation....." Not surprised, you and most people don't truly understand what we do on a daily basis. We don't live in fear....ever.

Not me (not most of us), never do I "consider packing a firearm and bear spray out of fear of a confrontation....." Not surprised, you and most people don't truly understand what we do on a daily basis. We don't live in fear....ever.

If you aren't afraid of the dark, you don't need a flashlight to go to the bathroom in the night.

What is it that you all do on a daily basis that requires carrying firearms while flying drones? Were you appointed or elected as spokesman for the group you speak for?

If you aren't afraid of the dark, you don't need a flashlight to go to the bathroom in the night.

What is it that you all do on a daily basis that requires carrying firearms while flying drones? Were you appointed or elected as spokesman for the group you speak for?
Appointed or elected, nope. But it's common knowledge, you can ask anyone else besides me and you'll get the your answer because we all know it. However, we don't talk about aloud so sorry but gotta say bye for now. ;)

• Haha
When I used to step out the doors of airplanes at a couple thousand feet or more, there was a big difference between 0 and 1 with respect to parachutes...
That is a great lead in! I have never jumped out of a plane but I get the 0 and 1 analogy! If I may ask, recreational or professional jumps?

That is a great lead in! I have never jumped out of a plane but I get the 0 and 1 analogy! If I may ask, recreational or professional jumps?
Purely recreational. Before I came to my senses and learned to land airplanes.

Professional jumping usually involves the possibility of someone shooting at you or landing the very close to a forest fire.

Reactions: Chip
….Be careful before advocating or considering the use of irritant sprays. They can cause more than temporary discomfort, and spraying someone could result in assault charges and arrest.
Good point, but not the only caution I’d mention about irritant sprays. I ride bicycles in very rural and remote areas of New Mexico. After frequent scary attacks by unrestrained dogs I started carrying bear spray. I’ve used it probably 20 times. I’d guess 10 of those have resulted in a satisfying outcome where the dog was deterred & I was unscathed. Another 3 or 4 resulted in a deterred dog but wind caused enough back spray to make the rest of my ride miserable. Another 5 or so had no effect on the dog as wind dispersed the spray, the dog kept coming (now closer) & I had to really sprint. The worst was when I tried to spray a dog that had attacked many times, missed as he crossed behind me. I was so mad I circled back to get another chance at a hopefully more successful delivery. That took me right through the remaining invisible cloud of particles - coating exposed sweaty skin with a solid dose of capsaicin. Now I was in real pain & still had to out sprint a dog I could barely see….

No real drone content other than I frequently carry a DJI Mini 2 on some rides.

Howard

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLEGEF