DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any new/updated recommendations for Monterey to Santa Barbara areas?

beeflyin

Reactions
Will be driving San Jose to LA, and looking for recommendations on best flying spots. Will go through Monterey/Carmel, Paso Robles, SLO, Solvang, Santa Barbara. Thanks in advance!

Take the back way through Hollister on Highway 25 for big open county. At the end of 25 at Highway 198 turn left and immediately right on Peach Tree ending at San Miguel. 100 miles of great roads and a few cows. Limited cell service and no gas till San Miguel, but everything is green! Highway 1 is closed and 101 is boring!

My Back Yard

Reactions: Aero1 and beeflyin
I went to pebble beach with a friend We are not avid golfers BUT I hit the ball with the sticks every now and then STAY AWAY from pebble beach with your drone!! They do have some really nice security suv's though. The james dean junction is pretty close to Paso Robles ALSO the amazing Lavender Garden. OH... And you are getting close to Bakersfield SO you should stop by and I can show you some nice places around here! Not sure about Solvang I don't think they would let my poor butt in lol.

Reactions: beeflyin
You can probably get away with some shots here and there. but... as you probably already know... there are Many rules in the Monterey area especially flying over the water because of wildlife. I drive around looking for places to fly from (like everyone else) and I just keep remembering the California rules... Can't fly from the side of the road, the shoulder of the road, a berm on the side of the road, a rest area, a vista point, critical infrastructure, etc... Flying a drone is not challenging but finding a Legal place to fly from is EXTREMELY difficult imo. Most city parks in my part of California do not allow drones AND the NO DRONES signs are everywhere. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and please share legal places you find.

You can probably get away with some shots here and there. but... as you probably already know... there are Many rules in the Monterey area especially flying over the water because of wildlife. I drive around looking for places to fly from (like everyone else) and I just keep remembering the California rules... Can't fly from the side of the road, the shoulder of the road, a berm on the side of the road, a rest area, a vista point, critical infrastructure, etc... Flying a drone is not challenging but finding a Legal place to fly from is EXTREMELY difficult imo. Most city parks in my part of California do not allow drones AND the NO DRONES signs are everywhere. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and please share legal places you find.
Wow, now wondering if I should even bring my drone. Too bad its gotten so tough to find places to fly!

There are many places BUT yes that area is very hit or miss. sure you CANNOT takeoff Anywhere near traffic The way we Californians drive thats probably a good thing and California is very wildlife friendly every place you go has some sort of wildlife preserve it seems, around my area almost any place is fine. Just stay away from the national park as you go up the mountains.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J