DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any one who used both the RC and the RC-N1 with the mini 3 and find they prefer the RC-N1?

shadow3467

Reactions
I've used both a couple of times now and I'm not sure what it is, but the RC-N1 feels better in my hand and I seem to prefer it

The layout of the joysticks feel more ergonomic to me and I don't have to worry about my thumbs blocking the screen. The weight/heft of it also feels better to me not sure why

The RC on the other hand is very convenient but it's almost TOO light, it feels like a toy, also the screen gets SUPER hot in moderate sunlight

And lastly, the RC signal seems to be way more direction sensitive, if I tilt the controller up for example and not have it pointed DIRECTLY at the drone if its far away, I'll drop bars. This doesnt seem to happen as much with the RC-N1, it seems to spread out the signal better so I can hold it at an upwards angle without any signal loss

Reactions: Romi
I tried my RC-N1 with a Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus 5G and like it better because the S21 screen is bigger and MUCH brighter than the DJI-RC screen and of course has cellular so no need for hotspot. I'm also guessing that whenever Litchi and other 3rd party apps becomes available for the Mini 3 it will only work with a phone or a tablet that has full Apple or Android capability without hacking it which IMO is the only way you eventually will get O/S access to the DJI-RC's limited memory Android system. Of course that probably will be a year away. I'd give up the "1 device convenience" any day for that.

Reactions: basyok
I tried my RC-N1 with a Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus 5G and like it better because the S21 screen is bigger and MUCH brighter than the DJI-RC screen and of course has cellular so no need for hotspot. I'm also guessing that whenever Litchi and other 3rd party apps becomes available for the Mini 3 it will only work with a phone or a tablet that has full Apple or Android capability without hacking it which IMO is the only way you eventually will get O/S access to the DJI-RC's limited memory Android system. Of course that probably will be a year away. I'd give up the "1 device convenience" any day for that.
What's the benefit of Litchi? I've seen it mentioned very often but I dont get what it would improve? These drones generally don't have long enough battery life to do any kind of legit waypoint flight

What's the benefit of Litchi? I've seen it mentioned very often but I dont get what it would improve? These drones generally don't have long enough battery life to do any kind of legit waypoint flight

For me (a hobby user) it's (was) just cool sending it (Previous Air 2 and Mavic Pro Platinum) off and doing it's thing. Some commercial users make lots of use of that feature. There is a guy here who uses it 95% of the time for his work and even wrote a book about it's use. Not sure it "IMPROVES" anything but ADDS a feature many commercial pilots find useful. I also have 2 other apps that do (did) the same thing, Dronelink and Maven (which is IOS only). For me it's just a toy for others a business.

Thank you for this thread. I hope more people will share their experience with using the remotes as I still can't decide which one to go with.

It's really a matter of personal preference. For me avoiding the hassle of hooking up a phone or tablet the cables and then squeezing your phone into the clamp makes the RC a better choice. I also use the RC Pro and prefer it mainly because of the brighter screen, but after not having to deal with the hassle I mentioned above, I would never go back.

The trouble with using phones with bright screens is they are using OLED screens which are prone to burn-in. I did the same on previous DJI drones and my Note 8 has artefacts burnt into the screen no thanks to Go4. Should add OLED burn-in is irreversible!

Phones are also prone to overheat in summer and will dim to avoid overheating and in extrem condition the phone may even shutdown on you. NOT something I'd want happening in-flight!

Modern and expensive smartphones may be brighter than 700 nits initially but as @mavicn00b wrote, they may reduce that to way lower figures due to heat, especially in summer. Some manufacturers specify the time and circumstances, some don't.

While I had the old SC which had 1,000 nits but an active fan, that kicked in after about 5 mins of operation (in mostly any weather), the RC is near dead silent but a bit dimmer with 700 nits.

I've been doind modelling a long time before drone flying and always had a dedicated controller. That said, it was not before the Mavic 2 Pro was available with the SC that I jumped onto this "boat". I've never wanted to hassle with my phone, cables and accessories as I always enjoyed a seperate device.

My 2c
I've got the RC with the Mini 3 and the RC-N1 with the Air 2S.

I much prefer the RC simply because of the speed of deployment: Take out of bag, switch on, switch Mini 3 on, wait a few seconds, take off.
However, the ergonomics aren't as good, I don't think the sticks feel as good, the screen isn't as bright as my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Benefits of the RC:
Speed of deployment
More physical controls

Benefits of the RC-N1:
More ergonomic
Better mounting options for neck strap
Nicer sticks
Better phone screen
No need for hotspots or suchlike

Saying that, I still prefer the RC to using the RC-N1 because the speed benefits outweigh all of the other points.

Now, I just need it to work with the Air 2S and we're golden.

No

• Sad
Reactions: MarkO
One issue I have with my Mavic Pro is that in using the controller with a tablet (Android) the controller would continuously charge the tablet while connected; this would lead to the controller battery gradually discharging while my tablet battery remained at 100%. From what I understand this issue cannot be fixed. Is it similar with the RC-N1?

One issue I have with my Mavic Pro is that in using the controller with a tablet (Android) the controller would continuously charge the tablet while connected; this would lead to the controller battery gradually discharging while my tablet battery remained at 100%. From what I understand this issue cannot be fixed. Is it similar with the RC-N1?
Yes the rcn1 has a bigger battery so it mitigates the issue somewhat.

My 2c

I much prefer the RC simply because of the speed of deployment: Take out of bag, switch on, switch Mini 3 on, wait a few seconds, take off.
However, the ergonomics aren't as good, I don't think the sticks feel as good, the screen isn't as bright as my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Benefits of the RC:
Speed of deployment
More physical controls

Benefits of the RC-N1:
More ergonomic
Nicer sticks
Better phone screen

Saying that, I still prefer the RC to using the RC-N1 because the speed benefits outweigh all of the other points.

Interesting. My iPhone 13 Pro Max screen shuts down FAST. The Samsung S22 never did (at least when going through 2 batteries in 90++++ Florida temps). I got rid of (returned) the Samsung and now am back to the screen controller. Next I'll try my Mini 6. LOL The screen controller IS CONVENIENT but the screen is too small for my lousy 75yr old eyes and too dim although I have a clip-on sunshade which helps a bit.

Reactions: Aerophile
My 2c

Benefits of the RC:
Speed of deployment
More physical controls

Benefits of the RC-N1:
More ergonomic
Nicer sticks
Better phone screen

Yeah +1 there, I just can't get used to the ergonomics of the RC, I hate having the sticks ABOVE the screen

Nope, been using the N1 controller since launch and unless I lose my RC Pro that came with Cine I'll probably never use the N1 again with the fleet. It was great when there were no other options. Heck, even my original SC still gets use with the M2P.

Onward and upward! ;)

The mini 3 actually has a lot of features litchi has anyway except for waypoints

Reactions: Flashheart
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre