DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

any suggestions for line skipping?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
Hi all,
I've been a long time videographer that is now moving to drones.
In the past, I've seen some line skipping before but with a moving drone it seems it can be relentless when dealing with thin vertical lines.
Any suggestions when dealing with it in post to make it less obtrusive (ie minimal blur etc)?
Thanks,
Randy

edit- coincidentally I just ran across this video that may help at 00:05:58 but any tips would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi all,
In the past, I've seen some line skipping before but with a moving drone it seems it can be relentless when dealing with thin vertical lines.
Any suggestions when dealing with it in post to make it less obtrusive (ie minimal blur etc)?
Thanks,
Randy
You will need to take the exposure warning off in the camera settings because the same thing happened to me let me know if that fixed ur problem

That is a great fix for the zebra lines but I think he is referring to lines across the video possibly because of the codec he is using, im guessing that being that he states he is a video guy for years and not using the right codec can cause those problems.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you mavic in and out of the storm
Coal

Can you post a short but obvious example on Youtube and post a link here ?
Or, if you have one up already, then a link and timestamp to check it out ?

Hi all,
Thanks,
Randy

edit- coincidentally I just ran across this video that may help at 00:05:58 but any tips would be appreciated :)

Its best you post a video as to clarify the skipping and or lines so we can dial it in some.

Coal

Reactions: Thomas B
Which drone are you having the issues with?

Mavic 2?

Your are seeing artefacts from moire/aliasing in your footage?

Most pronounced with defined vertical elements in the scene?

This can be an issue on the M2 pro- especially with 4K FOV mode where it seems the rescaling if the native sensor resolution can create some strange artefacts.

Try 4K HQ mode. Your FOV will be reduced (a smaller sensor area is employed) however the video is noticeably cleaner.

You can also try backing off the sharpness setting (in camera and/or post).

This is an often observed and grizzled about feature if the M2P FOV mode.

Sorry guys, I just saw your replies.
To be clear, I'm not talking about a particular drone...I've seen the flicker in all kinds of YT posts featuring Mavic models in an effort to decide which drone I want to buy (I've decided I'm sending back the MM I bought in exchange for a MA).
I went to look for an example on YT and coincidentally ran across this vid that deals with the issue.
I feel sure you've all seen what I'm talking about (or at least WithTheBirds has).
It is most apparent when doing a very slow dolly left or right with any thin, vertical lines in it...ie if you go shoot your local high school or college football stadium you'll see it with the light poles.
I only watched a few minutes of the vid but it looks like it happens every 8th frame and is due to the H264 codec.
I haven't even watched the whole video yet but I'll be studying it and taking notes...I'll report back if/when I discover a solution :)
Thanks,
Randy

I realize a lot of pilots are much more interested in skillfully piloting their aircraft than capturing pristine footage.
I on the other hand just want to fly well enough to maneuver the drone to get smooth, steady shots and get the best image I can...in fact good enough that I can zoom a little in post.
The technical aspect of getting the best footage I can is (to me) boring as hell and hurts my brain when trying to comprehend but if I want the footage I desire I'll need to force myself to learn more.
This guy starting at 00:04:01 answers a whole lot of questions for me and has me thinking I should bypass the MA and M2P altogether and go for the Phantom 4 Pro 2.
Ugh, I feel like I'm a week into a difficult college course :(

I realize a lot of pilots are much more interested in skillfully piloting their aircraft than capturing pristine footage.
I on the other hand just want to fly well enough to maneuver the drone to get smooth, steady shots and get the best image I can...in fact good enough that I can zoom a little in post.
The technical aspect of getting the best footage I can is (to me) boring as hell and hurts my brain when trying to comprehend but if I want the footage I desire I'll need to force myself to learn more.
This guy starting at 00:04:01 answers a whole lot of questions for me and has me thinking I should bypass the MA and M2P altogether and go for the Phantom 4 Pro 2.
I have no issues with videos processed on my iMac in iMovie, and at 4K resolution... YouTube can be another issue.... All is super for me
except that I need a new AppleTV to display them on my 80” TV.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have no issues with videos processed on my iMac in iMovie, and at 4K resolution... YouTube can be another issue.... Allison super for me
except that I need a new AppleTV to display them on my 80” TV.
I'm using a cheap 4K 50" TV (Sceptre under $200).
I would like to see some of your footage with thin, vertical lines if you have some posted.
In that 2nd video I posted the guy was able to clean up a lot of artifacts/flicker with Neat Video...software I bought for noise reduction years ago but forgot I even have ?

So you might have this a bit backwards, Most pilots are much more interested in getting Pristine video footage than skill fully piloting a drone. That being the case the MA is sub par footage perhaps you should step up to the M2 Pro /zoom or Phantom 4 Pro where your desire for Optimum video footage can truly be realized to it full potential.

If you do go for the Phantom 4 Pro I would advise you stay away from the 2 and get the Pro Plus controller which will allow you to expand your creative flying approach much easier than V2.

The Pro Plus Controller on the P4 Pro has some extra benefits that they took away on the V2 Model unless you get a regular controller than your ok.

Either way any of these choices our much better than the air for pristine footage.

As to the 1 inch Sensor over heating , have not seen any mention of that for years on this forum or the phantom forum so you can lessen your concern over that.

Your getting head aches for no reason , the only thing you need to watch for sometimes youtube can cause some poor video footage and this is why many of us use Vimeo which provides better codecs not as compressed but you pay the price for that if you need that kind of quality .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic/ Phantom in and out of the storm
Coal

Last edited:
I'm using a cheap 4K 50" TV (Sceptre under $200).
I would like to see some of your footage with thin, vertical lines if you have some posted.
In that 2nd video I posted the guy was able to clean up a lot of artifacts/flicker with Neat Video...software I bought for noise reduction years ago but forgot I even have ?
Search videos (posts) by me... use key words Santan and Sedona... maybe see what your looking for there.

So you might have this a bit backwards, Most pilots are much more interested in getting Pristine video footage than skill fully piloting a drone. That being the case the MA is sub par footage perhaps you should step up to the M2 Pro /zoom or Phantom 4 Pro where your desire for Optimum video footage can truly be realized to it full potential.

If you do go for the Phantom 4 Pro I would advise you stay away from the 2 and get the Pro Plus controller which will allow you to expand your creative flying approach much easier than V2.

The Pro Plus Controller on the P4 Pro has some extra benefits that they took away on the V2 Model unless you get a regular controller than your ok.

Either way any of these choices our much better than the air for pristine footage.

As to the 1 inch Sensor over heating , have not seen any mention of that for years on this forum or the phantom forum so you can lessen your concern over that.

Your getting head aches for no reason , the only thing you need to watch for sometimes youtube can cause some poor video footage and this is why many of us use Vimeo which provides better codecs not as compressed but you pay the price for that if you need that kind of quality .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic/ Phantom in and out of the storm
Coal
Yes, as mentioned above after watching that video it seems the Phantom captures much more data that can be manipulated in post...I will need to save for a while now that I've decided to bypass the MA but thanks very much to everyone...and your advice on the Pro Plus Controller!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Search videos (posts) by me... use key words Santan and Sedona... maybe see what your looking for there.
I've tried several different searches like thissearch.JPG...what is it I don't understand?

@G Randy Brown Search only one of the terms at a time
Here’s what I got... click on them where my name appears.
And

Thanks very much...strange that I got no result when trying variations of search (ie Thomas B for user name only, Sedona only in keyword etc).
Thanks again, I'll check them out!

I was watching Flying Sedona and find it gorgeous but do you not see the artifacts in the horizontal lines at the very first.
If not then maybe it's TV.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato