DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to get GPS coords to Laptop in real-time?

petered

Reactions
I've been using the HDMI cable (along with an HDMI capture card) to stream live video from the drone to the laptop (for an application that runs live computer vision on the camera feed).

Now, it would be very useful to get the GPS coordinates (and roll/pitch/yaw) of the drone in real-time alongside the video feed, into the laptop.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this using either DJI Apps or 3rd party apps?

My setup is Mini3 Pro with RC-Pro controller but I'd be interested in a setup that works for any drone/controller combination.

I don't see any reponses to your query. I retired a few years ago and started flying drones and other remote controlled (RC) vehicles. While it's been fun I want to drastically increase the range of these vehicles. The Mini 4 can fly much further on a single battery than the signal will allow. Further, my FPV drones frequently become unresponsive when they duck behind walls and it's frustrating; not to mention expensive. I have some experience with high gain antennas. In another life I built the antenna pointing system for NASA's Deep Space Network. As luck would have it, I spent 40 years programming. Now I'm thinking about putting some of that experience to the task of increasing the radio range for my collection of drones to 20+ miles for starters. I'll need to know the GPS position of the drone to achieve this. I'll need to get into the realtime telemetry stream to capture this information. From what I've read about DJI SDK, grabbing data out of this stream shouldn't be a big deal. Since you've been looking at this problem for 6+ months, do you have any pointers for me? I'll start a post on my progress once I've got things set up. Kind regards.

The biggest issue with this sort of project is only one controller can be connected at a time, as DJI handles all the encryption and keys for connection in the SDK (which is used to develop DJI Fly).

So, if you hack up a simple app to read the telemetry stream, you also must code up some crude (or fancy and richly functional) control interface to fly the drone as well. You will not be able to connect with GO4 or Fly (depending on model) to operate the drone and have your telemetry app connected at the same time.

This is why we don't have a rich landscape of "add-on" apps doing lots of cool stuff running side-by-side with DJI's control apps. To add another bedroom, you have to build the entire hotel every time 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas