DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else afraid to fly too high?

When it is really windy it is a good idea to take it up very fast because you dont want to get it blown into any trees, etc
How fast would be the max wind speed you would fly in?

I attached an image of the chart system for wind speed.... It seems at like 1000ft the wind speed generally tends to drop? Is that why you say go up fast? Not that I agree with flying that high, but for educational reasons... And to be honest I think I may have seen this done online. Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 20.36.10.png

Last edited:
Here is the deal with 400', General Aviation can fly as low as 500 feet in some areas, Helicopters lower than that.

The idea is never ( with some exceptions) to be where the airplanes are.

I can tell you that the chances of my seeing a sUAV as I am buzzing along at 120 Knts, or surviving it hitting my prop or windshield is not something I want to try.

Once you get up in the air, the winds do funny things, You may be near calm on the ground, and once you get up a few hundred feet you may get a wind that the sUAV may not be able to overpower to get back to you, or it may get blown off course with loss of perception as to where it is.

There are times where you are legally allowed to be higher than 400' AGL,and there are good reasons to be up there, and you may well be well out of the operational area of most aircraft as we need to stay a FAA mandated distance horizontally and vertically from other objects ( radio towers for example ) but then we get into that pesky VLOS thing. I have pretty good strobes that I snap onto my Mavic, and even with them ( 3 mile legal supposedly) it is hard to keep track of the Mavis when flying without a visual observer.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I actually feel a lot better about flying higher and another user mentioned "Sport Mode" for if it isn't coming back due to wind... Still would be good to know max wind speed anyone would fly in? Also how long is battery life for you guys, especially in worst case windy conditions...
For me, I would not fly in more than 20mph winds. If I were flying in winds that high, I would take 10% off the top of the battery.

Here is the deal with 400', General Aviation can fly as low as 500 feet in some areas, Helicopters lower than that.

The idea is never ( with some exceptions) to be where the airplanes are.

I can tell you that the chances of my seeing a sUAV as I am buzzing along at 120 Knts, or surviving it hitting my prop or windshield is not something I want to try.

Once you get up in the air, the winds do funny things, You may be near calm on the ground, and once you get up a few hundred feet you may get a wind that the sUAV may not be able to overpower to get back to you, or it may get blown off course with loss of perception as to where it is.

There are times where you are legally allowed to be higher than 400' AGL,and there are good reasons to be up there, and you may well be well out of the operational area of most aircraft as we need to stay a FAA mandated distance horizontally and vertically from other objects ( radio towers for example ) but then we get into that pesky VLOS thing. I have pretty good strobes that I snap onto my Mavic, and even with them ( 3 mile legal supposedly) it is hard to keep track of the Mavis when flying without a visual observer.
Yeah I hear you my last flight was hard with wind... Sometimes bit feels definitely like a 2 man job one for the camera and the other as pilot and visual observer...

Yeah I ACCIDENTLY flew mine to the max height dji has programmed in the software, 1,640.
I wasnt concerned one little bit!
Lmao, if u believe that I got a mansion in the Sahara with ocean front
Property I will sell u cheap!

Yeah I ACCIDENTLY flew mine to the max height dji has programmed in the software, 1,640.
I wasnt concerned one little bit!
Lmao, if u believe that I got a mansion in the Sahara with ocean front
Property I will sell u cheap!
Don't know what your selling exactly? It would be great to see the video do you have a link? [emoji1]

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Don't know what your selling exactly? It would be great to see the video do you have a link? [emoji1]

FUTURE PRODUCTIONS I WILL DO AS YOU ASK.
I ACTUALLY ROUTINELY FLY VERY HIGH!
I love it and I figured night pics would be even more
Intense. I figured pics will be enough until I load vids.
This is my hometown at night.
The triangle shaped structure are my apartments
From 1,640 feet up.
At night no less
I FEEL IT VERY IMPORTANT THAT I TELL THE FORUM I
WOULD NEVER DONTHIS WITHOUT TWO WHITE AND
TWO RED STROBON CREE L.E.D.S.

IMG_0352.JPGIMG_0345.JPGIMG_0344.JPGIMG_0362.JPG

I FEEL IT VERY IMPORTANT THAT I TELL THE FORUM I
WOULD NEVER DO THIS WITHOUT TWO WHITE AND
TWO RED STROBON CREE L.E.D.S.

I'm not going to get into the legality of operating above legal limits, or flying at night ( you do have a 107.29 waiver right? I'd love to read the application) but as a pilot Red and White strobes are nowhere legal or safe for operations after civil twilight.

You need 2 reds , two greens, and one white in the back.

We count on those lights, in proper configuration, in order to spot and avoid you.

My Mavic has 3D printed Cree Strobon holders that snap onto each arm, and a bridge that goes across the rear arms that holds my white strobe.

Reds go on the lf and lr, greens on the rf and rr, white dead center between the rear arms.

I rarely fly without them

PS I am a Part 61 Private Pilot, in addition to my 107 cert.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyD913
I'm not going to get into the legality of operating above legal limits, or flying at night ( you do have a 107.29 waiver right? I'd love to read the application) but as a pilot Red and White strobes are nowhere legal or safe for operations after civil twilight.

You need 2 reds , two greens, and one white in the back.

We count on those lights, in proper configuration, in order to spot and avoid you.

My Mavic has 3D printed Cree Strobon holders that snap onto each arm, and a bridge that goes across the rear arms that holds my white strobe.

Reds go on the lf and lr, greens on the rf and rr, white dead center between the rear arms.

I rarely fly without them

PS I am a Part 61 Private Pilot, in addition to my 107 cert.

Thank you for your information. I will configure my mavic as u recommend.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I actually feel a lot better about flying higher and another user mentioned "Sport Mode" for if it isn't coming back due to wind... Still would be good to know max wind speed anyone would fly in? Also how long is battery life for you guys, especially in worst case windy conditions...

Just remember this...in Sport Mode the sensors are off and it takes much longer distance to fully brake.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada