DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else afraid to fly too high?

FUTURE_PRODUCTIONS

Reactions
Has anyone else found that their Mavic pro gets blown about slight in the air and it freaks them out and the end up flying only approx 100ft?

On a side note, I am a new pilot and wonder what's the max flight regulations for a recreational flight in the US and Canada? I heard it was approx 400ft but could be wrong and any tips on flying higher and getting the balls to fly higher. (Professional Paperwork and FAA approved of course)

Thanks guys!

K

Technically, there is no altitude restriction for hobby use, BUT 400' max is the recommended maximum. You will not get any official permission to do it. If you go part 107 then I think you MUST remain below 400' from take off point?
Maybe someone with 107 can chime in here.

Has anyone else found that their Mavic pro gets blown about slight in the air and it freaks them out and the end up flying only approx 100ft?

Mine gets visibly blown around even at 5', so no, I'm not afraid to go all the way up to 400'.

Not that you should ignore wind conditions, of course, but it's normal for the MP to drift around a bit. Also, if you ever get into a situation where the wind is preventing your MP from making headway, always remember Sport Mode - it can definitely get you out of a lot of jams.

It's something that you'll have to get used to. I would say you have a healthy fear and when that healthy fear goes away you will have problems. There is really no difference if it is 1ft off the ground or 1,000ft off the ground, 1ft away from you or 10,000ft away from you. You have to build a trust with your equipment and with experience will come that trust. Take your time and you will become a better pilot for it.

Technically, there is no altitude restriction for hobby use, BUT 400' max is the recommended maximum. You will not get any official permission to do it. If you go part 107 then I think you MUST remain below 400' from take off point?
Maybe someone with 107 can chime in here.
Wait what?? The 400 ft is only recommended? I've had my drone for 8 months and I'm just now learning this?

Have you registered your drone with FAA? Flying below 400ft is required unless you are part 107 licensed and do your due diligence prior to taking it higher than 400ft.

Reactions: Yenrab
This thread covers the question pretty well:

400 feet: law or guidline?
My drone is certified under part 107 with the FAA, which covers both hobby use and commercial use, BUT I do not actually have my part 107 license YET. Are you saying you need your part 107 to fly over 400 ft, but the flight itself can't be for commercial purposes?

My drone is certified under part 107 with the FAA, which covers both hobby use and commercial use, BUT I do not actually have my part 107 license YET. Are you saying you need your part 107 to fly over 400 ft, but the flight itself can't be for commercial purposes?

My understanding is that the purpose of your flight determines whether you are flying under part 101 rules as a recreational flyer or under part 107 rules as a commercial flyer. So, as long as you are flying strictly for fun with no prospect of commercial gain, you are flying under part 101 and should be able to fly higher than 400 feet provided you follow all the other rules (LOS, advance notice to nearby airports, avoidance of other aircraft, etc.). Doesn't depend on how you registered the drone or whether you do or don't have your part 107 certification but rather on the purpose of the particular flight.

Image1522940459.699157.jpg

Must fly under 400ft or get waiver to fly. My take is that you just can’t fly above 400ft if and when you want to, you need to get waiver first and I assume it will only be valid for that time not all the time.

Reactions: ksmusa
My understanding is that the purpose of your flight determines whether you are flying under part 101 rules as a recreational flyer or under part 107 rules as a commercial flyer. So, as long as you are flying strictly for fun with no prospect of commercial gain, you are flying under part 101 and should be able to fly higher than 400 feet provided you follow all the other rules (LOS, advance notice to nearby airports, avoidance of other aircraft, etc.). Doesn't depend on how you registered the drone or whether you do or don't have your part 107 certification but rather on the purpose of the particular flight.
Thanks for this clarification. I was under the mistaken impression that onces you have your part 107 you must always fly under 107. So I have been dragging my feet, thinking I don't really want to take "the fun" out of this hobby. Meanwhile I have already turned down two offers to fly for $$$ since I didn't get my part 107.

I may have gotten this mistaken impression from reading posts such as "I have my part 107 so I have to do this or that" all the time. What I think they actually mean is, "I won't take any chances that could endanger my 107" which I can certainly understand especially if it is a good source of income.

Mike

Reactions: WAXMAN
I have also heard this both ways, and until the other day thought that hobby/rec use the 400 feet ceiling was only a recomendation. However based on previous post, which is right off FAA sight, it does seem that 400' is the max "allowed" by the FAA in the US.

Even 107 is 400', as I understand it (you can go over 400 feet when the tallest object in your flight path is over 400' tall, but after 400' in distance from said object, you are expected to drop back down to 400' as the max height ).

That's how I have read it, but still may have it correct so anyone with a 100% answer, please post.

As for stability at height, I can see the drone moving slightly from 100 feet to 400 feet but the gimbal and IMU continue to work fine and the video is very stable.

It's only after about 4 to 5 wind warnings in a row, that I start to see a bit of strangeness, and I will drop down for a while.

Overall the Mavic as a camera platform is only limited by the camera it has, it's flight characteristics for most part are amazing.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: FUTURE_PRODUCTIONS
View attachment 35116

Must fly under 400ft or get waiver to fly. My take is that you just can’t fly above 400ft if and when you want to, you need to get waiver first and I assume it will only be valid for that time not all the time.
I hope you realize that the website in pic you posted, is not in any way an official site of the FAA. I would classify as more of a scam: paying them money to register your drone that you can easily do yourself for just $5. And after that this slime website has your information??? NO WAY!

Mike

And from the main FAA document PDF.

For example, the FAA regulates low-altitude operations to protect people and property on the ground. The FAA permits aircraft operations below 500 feet when flown over open water and in sparsely populated areas. 14 CFR 91.119(c). Such operations may not be conducted “closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.” Id. Therefore, although such low-altitude operations may pose a lower risk to aircraft flying much higher, the operation may still pose a risk to persons and property on the ground warranting enforcement action when conducted unsafely. See, e.g., Adm’r v. Kachalsky, NTSB Order No. EA-4847, 2000 WL 1072332 (July 24, 2000) (affirming a violation of § 91.119(c) for operating within 500 feet of a dwelling in a sparsely populated area); Adm’r v. Beissel, NTSB Docket No. SE-19436, 2013 WL 7809754 (Dec. 11, 2014) (ordering suspension of a pilot certificate when pilot flew a helicopter less than 40 feet above the surface of a lake).

For sure I am only fly in sparsely populated areas.

Paul Caldwell

I hope you realize that the website in pic you posted, is not in any way an official site of the FAA. I would classify as more of a scam: paying them money to register your drone that you can easily do yourself for just $5. And after that this slime website has your information??? NO WAY!

Mike

Valid point, I saw that. But that doesn’t change the fact that 400ft is the limit.

Here is text from FAA guideline.

“Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL).”

Source:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf

Valid point, I saw that. But that doesn’t change the fact that 400ft is the limit.

Here is text from FAA guideline.

“Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL).”
I don't think this proves there is a hard and fast 400' limit. "Should follow best practices" sounds like advice. Can you imagine if speed limits on highways were likewise merely recommendations?

Mike

The way I read it, it doesn’t come across that 400ft is the best practice but the limit. But I see your point also.

I don’t understand why these rules can’t be written more clearly and all at one place.

Regarding the highway speed sign, it doesn’t say whether it is best practice or law or rule etc it just has a number and limit on it. Can we go above that? Sure thousands of people do that without getting caught but many also get tickets doing that.

Wow after reading through this entire thread I am now realizing that none of us really understand the law... LOL. I really wish the FAA would make it more clear. I am trying to fly legally at all times, but they make it extremely difficult sometimes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum