DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else afraid to fly too high?

Just to point out, the 400' "restriction" is NOT 400' above takeoff point. It's 400' AGL. Or, if flying within a 400' radius of a structure, it's 400' above the top of that structure. Happy flying and HAVE FUN!

This is wrong. The LAW applies to all. Individuals have been prosecuted for violating airspace rules. Whilst people might think that the rules only apply if you have a 107, that simply isn’t true.

Gareth

Technically, there is no altitude restriction for hobby use, BUT 400' max is the recommended maximum. You will not get any official permission to do it. If you go part 107 then I think you MUST remain below 400' from take off point?
Maybe someone with 107 can chime in here.

This is wrong. The LAW applies to all. Individuals have been prosecuted for violating airspace rules. Whilst people might think that the rules only apply if you have a 107, that simply isn’t true.

Gareth

Please cite your source that clearly shows that flying over 400 feet is against the law for recreational flyers. We have cited several specific sources in the posts above (in particular, the FAA themselves) that shows it is not the law. One cannot simply claim that it is against the law without citing the law that it would be violating.

It's something that you'll have to get used to. I would say you have a healthy fear and when that healthy fear goes away you will have problems. There is really no difference if it is 1ft off the ground or 1,000ft off the ground, 1ft away from you or 10,000ft away from you. You have to build a trust with your equipment and with experience will come that trust. Take your time and you will become a better pilot for it.
Well, but there is a difference sometimes. Wind speeds at ground could be 10mph and at 300' AGL could be 30mph...

My drone is certified under part 107 with the FAA, which covers both hobby use and commercial use, BUT I do not actually have my part 107 license YET. Are you saying you need your part 107 to fly over 400 ft, but the flight itself can't be for commercial purposes?
You CAN NOT fly a drone for commercial use in the U.S. unless you have a 107 license, your drone registered with the FAA under YOUR name and last but not least..INSURANCE. You first post confused me because you said you were a drone pilot but didn't know the FAA rules... you are a drone user (as I am), can't call yourself a pilot until you have that paper. The test isn't easy.

Link for 107 Pilot test tutorials: 107 pilots license tutorial - YouTube

Reactions: daviddb
For some surprising insight to the winds aloft you should have a look at the UAV Forecast app!
Tried it out out of curiosity and there is one heck of a wind speed difference as you climb.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
My drone is certified under part 107 with the FAA, which covers both hobby use and commercial use, BUT I do not actually have my part 107 license YET. Are you saying you need your part 107 to fly over 400 ft, but the flight itself can't be for commercial purposes?

Actually, to fly recreationally, you have to register your drone as a such. To fly under part 107, you then have to register that same drone under part 107. Registering under part 107 will NOT cover you as a recreational pilot nor will it give to you the right to fly commercially. Part 107 holders can NOT fly above 400 Ft without a waiver unless within 400Ft of the object they are flying over.

Has anyone else found that their Mavic pro gets blown about slight in the air and it freaks them out and the end up flying only approx 100ft?

On a side note, I am a new pilot and wonder what's the max flight regulations for a recreational flight in the US and Canada? I heard it was approx 400ft but could be wrong and any tips on flying higher and getting the balls to fly higher. (Professional Paperwork and FAA approved of course)

Thanks guys!

K
Have you got the ground sensors enabled? My Pro is very stable except in high wind

Has anyone else found that their Mavic pro gets blown about slight in the air and it freaks them out and the end up flying only approx 100ft?

On a side note, I am a new pilot and wonder what's the max flight regulations for a recreational flight in the US and Canada? I heard it was approx 400ft but could be wrong and any tips on flying higher and getting the balls to fly higher. (Professional Paperwork and FAA approved of course)

Thanks guys!

K
Since you are Canadian, Canadian Regulations apply. Current interim regulations limit altitude to 90 metres in Canada. Make sure you are aware of those regulations issued by Transport Canada on their website. When you go to the U.S., (or anywhere else for that matter) a different set of regulations apply. You have to get yourself up to speed depending on where you go. Best to you. BTW, the regulations are going to change in the near future here in Canada and they are going to become more restrictive, not less.

I hadn't flown my MP for about four days & was suffering 'withdrawal' symptoms. Trouble is it was windy today (gusts to 25mph) but I thought I would fly at ground level in Tripod mode and just get better at 'droning.' When I took off after waiting for "Home Point has been updated" & "Caution - High winds" warning, I was at the usual 10' hovering in a fresh gust of wind. My MP just hovered in place with occasional bursts of the props keeping it stationery and in place above my home's back deck. I have noticed before that the MP hovers well in slight breezes so this was an interesting experiment to see what it would do in higher winds. As usual, I was impressed with the solid hovering it maintained within 3' of my roof gutters on two sides. As the hovering sounds rose & fell, I decided I needed some "room" in case of an error which would cause my MP to bump into the roof gutters, so I elevated to about 30' above my deck & let it hover. Above the house, the gusting winds were much more intense (one of my other weather apps indicated 35 MPH gusts) but my MP sat there neatly hovering at the elevation I stopped it at. There were sounds of higher RPMs every few seconds but it hovered in place like a trooper. I have been flying for only about six months with this MP so I still consider myself a noob but in my experience, the MP is an awesome aircraft for locking into a hovering location. I've even gone to 400' in a 25 mph breeze at that altitude and watched the MP lock on to its position and "freeze" its location at that altitude.

Love this new toy!...

I witcha, Drgnfli, these birds are epic! I'm amazed every time I fly. I'm still a noob.

Edit: Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and good info here, I learn something new everyday

Mine gets visibly blown around even at 5', so no, I'm not afraid to go all the way up to 400'.

Not that you should ignore wind conditions, of course, but it's normal for the MP to drift around a bit. Also, if you ever get into a situation where the wind is preventing your MP from making headway, always remember Sport Mode - it can definitely get you out of a lot of jams.

Sport Mode? This sounds like some solid advice as I haven't tried that mode yet... Thanks!

It's something that you'll have to get used to. I would say you have a healthy fear and when that healthy fear goes away you will have problems. There is really no difference if it is 1ft off the ground or 1,000ft off the ground, 1ft away from you or 10,000ft away from you. You have to build a trust with your equipment and with experience will come that trust. Take your time and you will become a better pilot for it.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I actually feel a lot better about flying higher and another user mentioned "Sport Mode" for if it isn't coming back due to wind... Still would be good to know max wind speed anyone would fly in? Also how long is battery life for you guys, especially in worst case windy conditions...

Last edited:
I almost always fly to my set limit of 120 meters (400ft) while keeping an eye on both high wind warnings and the mavic's camera to see if it really is drifting away. Worst case scenario is that it starts drifting away by high winds, all you do is drop the Mavic lower in altitude and bring it back to you. You can even toggle Sport mode to assist against high winds. My highest flight so far was 1361ft AGL and luckily there was almost no wind at all (I was in Delphi, Greece).

I think I may have saw this knsaber on Youtube?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent