DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else having gimble issues in windy conditions? Especially when the gimble is looking straight down.

crash3x

Reactions
Second time this has happened. Flying in 15 mph wind/25 mph gusts and the gimble goes all crazy and shifts all around. This mostly occurred while the gimble was pointed straight down while I was taking overhead shots. I tried spinning the drone 360 to get the gimble out of the direction of the wind and it still was happening.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Not sure if I got a dud or just pushing the drones limits. Again, mainly happened when the gimble was pointed straight down. Not sure if I should send it in to DJI for a look or is this an issue that others have experienced.

Yes, I know I need to screen record my next windy outing so I can show an example. Any help would be appreciated!

"Goes all crazy and shifts all around" doesn't really tell us much.

Is only the gimbal moving oddly and not the entire aircraft?

Spinning it 360 degrees will just put it pointing exactly where it was pointing. Or are you saying that it continued to behave oddly through an entire 360 degree rotation?

Yes, a video clip of what the camera is seeing would be helpful in understanding your problem. Or a screen recording.

Spinning it 360 degrees will just put it pointing exactly where it was pointing. Or are you saying that it continued to behave oddly through an entire 360 degree rotation?

Yes, a video clip of what the camera is seeing would be helpful in understanding your problem. Or a screen recording.
Yes, I have seen this behavior more than once.

Reactions: crash3x
Yes, I have seen this behavior more than once.
Glad to know I'm not alone in this but not happy about the issue at hand. Was your experience only in windy conditions? Did you find a fix? Did you send your drone to DJI for inspection? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Only the gimble is shifting & twitching, it's going going crazy, the aircraft is stable. Similar to the Mini 2 gimbal issue but this is way more erratic.

I stand corrected "180 degrees", as mentioned, taking the gimbal out of the direction of the wind.

Again, this mainly happened while the gimbal was pointed straight down, it was windy both times but not overly windy.

Yes I definitely need to catch it on a screen recording and post.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this but not happy about the issue at hand. Was your experience only in windy conditions? Did you find a fix? Did you send your drone to DJI for inspection? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.
No, it only happens in windy conditions but it is a little scary especially when the drone is a good distance away. I have had some other wierd control issues pop up intermittently so I am not sure what is really going on. I will say it definitely struggles in windy conditions compared to the other DJI drones I have flown.

No, it only happens in windy conditions but it is a little scary especially when the drone is a good distance away. I have had some other wierd control issues pop up intermittently so I am not sure what is really going on. I will say it definitely struggles in windy conditions compared to the other DJI drones I have flown.
Good to know, same here, so far only in windy conditions. This has been my only issue with the Mini 3 pro I've experienced, so far anyway.

It's a light drone so kinda to be expected to struggle a lil bit in windy conditions but this gimbal issue is aggravating!

I would normally fly my Air 2s when it's windy but still playing around with and getting used to my new Mini 3 Pro. I really like it but need to figure out what's going on with this gimbal issues. Thanks for sharing the info! If you find a fix please let me know/post, I'll do the same.

Good to know, same here, so far only in windy conditions. This has been my only issue with the Mini 3 pro I've experienced, so far anyway.

It's a light drone so kinda to be expected to struggle a lil bit in windy conditions but this gimbal issue is aggravating!

I would normally fly my Air 2s when it's windy but still playing around with and getting used to my new Mini 3 Pro. I really like it but need to figure out what's going on with this gimbal issues. Thanks for sharing the info! If you find a fix please let me know/post, I'll do the same.
I have a theory on why the gimbal freaks out in wind. I think it has to do with the scooped shape of the fuselage behind the gimbal funneling the wind around the gimbal causing it to move out of position. It's just a theory but if you look at the shape and depth it kinda makes sense.

Reactions: Flystar
You are probably at the limit of gimbal travel and when the wind buffets the aircraft, there's no limit beyond the stop to compensate for the tilt or movement of the craft.

You’re probably correct. I was thinking the same when it came out and saw it for the first time. That whole gimbal area looks like a wind catcher.

I just want to be sure there’s nothing “wrong” with it, if it’s a wind issue then I’ll have to keep the conditions in mind when I fly and decided which drone to go with on that particular day.

I have a theory on why the gimbal freaks out in wind. I think it has to do with the scooped shape of the fuselage behind the gimbal funneling the wind around the gimbal causing it to move out of position. It's just a theory but if you look at the shape and depth it kinda makes sense.
Not at all likely.

If a 25 mph wind gust could knock the gimbal out of position, it certainly wouldn't be stable with the drone flying at 35 mph.

You are probably at the limit of gimbal travel and when the wind buffets the aircraft, there's no limit beyond the stop to compensate for the tilt or movement of the craft.
Maybe, but I feel it should handle and I should be able to point the gimbal straight down and take pics within the rated wind rating with out erratic gimbal movement. Although at or close to the rated wind limit, I was expecting better.

Ultimately I’m posting to see if something is technically wrong with my mini 3 pro and need to send it back to DJI or if this is a known issue others are having and keep that in mind why flying in windy conditions.

Thank you for the response.

Not at all likely.

If a 25 mph wind gust could knock the gimbal out of position, it certainly wouldn't be stable with the drone flying at 35 mph.
What you are saying does not make sense. I am not saying the drone was stable and the gimbal was knocked around. They obviously both were. What I am saying is that the gimbal gets knocked around more because of the shape of the cavity behind it. It is a parabolic shape and might magnify a strong gust of wind coming into it. I am also not taking about a wind nearly that strong. I have seen this happen with a 12 to 15 mph gust. I would never fly the Mini 3 in wind stronger than that to begin with.

Everyone is entitled to their own theory, I'm not interested in pilots going back and forth trying to debunk one another.

What I am kindly asking is, are many people having the same issue as me or is it more likely that something is wrong with my drone.

Yes I'm experiencing the same issue, or No, something is probably wrong with your drone and you should send it back to DJI for inspection.

What you are saying does not make sense. I am not saying the drone was stable and the gimbal was knocked around. They obviously both were. What I am saying is that the gimbal gets knocked around more because of the shape of the cavity behind it. It is a parabolic shape and might magnify a strong gust of wind coming into it. I am also not taking about a wind nearly that strong. I have seen this happen with a 12 to 15 mph gust. I would never fly the Mini 3 in wind stronger than that to begin with.
The OP described 25 mph gusts create a problem. You said that a 15 mph gust can be somehow "magnified" enough so that the "gimbal gets knocked around."

If there's a problem at those wind speeds, then there should be a greater problem with the drone flying at 35 mph. I don't believe that the shape of the nose of the drone "magnifies" the speed of the air moving into it.

Everyone is entitled to their own theory, I'm not interested in pilots going back and forth trying to debunk one another.

What I am kindly asking is, are many people having the same issue as me or is it more likely that something is wrong with my drone.

Yes I'm experiencing the same issue, or No, something is probably wrong with your drone and you should send it back to DJI for inspection.

Again, you've not provided enough information to enable anyone to offer much help. ""Goes all crazy and shifts all around" isn't very descriptive. Let's wait until you're able to post a screen capture video or camera video before speculating about the cause of the problem.

Again, you've not provided enough information to enable anyone to offer much help. ""Goes all crazy and shifts all around" isn't very descriptive. Let's wait until you're able to post a screen capture video or camera video before speculating about the cause of the problem.
What do you mean? The gimbal shifts, jumps, moves around, call it what you want, involuntary erratic movement??

While the gimbal is pointed straight down, this happens while it is windy but within the wind range of the mini 3 pro.

I can't be any move descriptive. I'm not asking for answers or a resolution as I stated. I'm simply and kindly asking:

Are others experiencing the same issue. It's a Yes or No question that I am asking. Again, that is what I am asking.

"Yes" I am experiencing the same issue or "No" I am not experiencing this issue.

Thank you in advance for those who may respond. Yes or No

What do you mean? The gimbal shifts, jumps, moves around, call it what you want, involuntary erratic movement??

While the gimbal is pointed straight down, this happens while it is windy but within the wind range of the mini 3 pro.

I can't be any move descriptive. I'm not asking for answers or a resolution as I stated. I'm simply and kindly asking:

Are others experiencing the same issue. It's a Yes or No question that I am asking. Again, that is what I am asking.

"Yes" I am experiencing the same issue or "No" I am not experiencing this issue.

Thank you in advance for those who may respond. Yes or No

No.

This would be my guess. I took my M3P out yesterday in pretty calm conditions, very light breeze. It of course handled it no problem, but it moves around quite a bit even in very light wind. That little gimbal works hard. Despite it's maximum wind resistance rating, it will never have the stability of a 800-900g drone.

Especially if the drone is far enough away that you can't see it, and a few hundred feet in the air, the wind can be very different than what you experience at the home point on the ground.

Second time this has happened. Flying in 15 mph wind/25 mph gusts and the gimble goes all crazy and shifts all around. This mostly occurred while the gimble was pointed straight down while I was taking overhead shots. I tried spinning the drone 360 to get the gimble out of the direction of the wind and it still was happening.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Not sure if I got a dud or just pushing the drones limits. Again, mainly happened when the gimble was pointed straight down. Not sure if I should send it in to DJI for a look or is this an issue that others have experienced.

Yes, I know I need to screen record my next windy outing so I can show an example. Any help would be appreciated!
I've experienced the same issue, once was slightly a factor in moderate wind, one was quite bad when the wind was v. strong and I shouldn't really have been flying (55km/h gusts)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu