DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else having video freezing issues with the goggles.

Robbyg

Reactions
During any given flight I have occasional freezes in the video that last for about 5 seconds. I am not sure if its the fact that I am using .400 on the Mav or what.
The goggles are running .700 and other than the occasional freezing of the live video everything is fine. (Yeah I know, that's like saying other than the high doses of radiation living by Chernobyl is fine)

I ask because while it was normally just a small annoyance, this Sunday I was coming in to land and as I was about 15 feet from touching down and it froze. I had to quickly flip up the goggles and realized that one they don't flip up enough to see something 15ft above your head and two that with these 1.5 reading glasses on everything was a blur. I had to actually take the goggles and the glasses off and land the craft. As soon as I landed and looked back into the goggles the video feed was fine.

Rob

Hmm I wonder if I have a bad unit or possibly it has to do with the way I paired it.
Under the standard pairing directions that I see, both pairing buttons need to be pressed but on mine I pressed the on the Mavics then went into the goggle link menu and it said to press OK to link. I did that and it linked so I am not sure if pressing the button on the goggles is optional or if it can be done just by software.

Rob

Nope, 3 units here between friends and never had that issue in any of the many configurations we've bound things.

It must be a .400 issue
Has anyone else with Mav on .400 had problems or is it working properly?

Rob

It must be a .400 issue
Has anyone else with Mav on .400 had problems or is it working properly?

Rob
Sorry to jump in on your post here rob.
You always seem to talk alot of sense I've noticed so I figured you're a good guy to speak to.
I'm on the verge of buying the goggles in the next two weeks and I've seen mixed things.. Some being the range is bad on the goggles and they're blurry. I was just wondering if you could be so kind to let me know your opinions on them. Thanks mate,

Paul.

You always seem to talk alot of sense I've noticed so I figured you're a good guy to speak to.
I'm on the verge of buying the goggles in the next two weeks and I've seen mixed things.. Some being the range is bad on the goggles and they're blurry. I was just wondering if you could be so kind to let me know your opinions on them. Thanks mate,

Paul.
So if you want an object review, here it is.

The goods:
  • The range is better than the RC since it has its own 360 degree antennas that communicate directly with the drone.
  • The view screen has 1920x1080 resolution per eye.
  • It's like sitting in a move theater.
  • Head tracking
  • Low latency
  • SD card playback of drone footage.
The bads:
  • As of .800 for some reason HDMI signals don't use the entire screen, scaling it slightly. Some notice this, others don't. For me it's hard to ignore. I'm still at .700 on the goggles because of it.
  • The head band tends to slip off your head for some people when moving the goggles from the folded up position to the down position.
  • Some complain of light leaks.
  • No diopter adjustment. Normally users wearing glasses just use those glasses to see, but users with reading glasses require a stronger pair for the goggles.
  • You can't play videos that aren't drone footage from the SD card.
  • Not sure why, but some people complain they're too heavy, despite it being advertised already. The viewer is 500g, and the headband is 500g. This totals to 1kg.

Reactions: mavic6611

Paul.

No problem Paul.
I agree with what Cyberpower said.
BTW I seem to be in the minority with the range issue, maybe the only one who has seen the problem. Most of my flights have been fine but that last one with the goggles was a bit scary.

As for the blurriness, I think DJI some how royally messed up the design on this thing. I use an Iphone 5S and I can see the screen and use it perfectly from 10-12 inches away. The goggles on the other hand are blurred. I don't normally need reading glasses but with the goggles I have to put on a pair of 1.5 glasses to get a clear screen.

IMHO if your testing these things and the average tester needs to wear glasses to use it then you better start to design some kind of diopter system into them.

The problem really comes home when you let friends try to share the experience and they say it's too blurry to use. I have since bought 4 extra pairs of various strength glasses so that hopefully anyone with me can find a pair that works for them. I probably need about 8 more pairs to cover all the various strengths, but for now it feels like overkill.

Rob

So if you want an object review, here it is.

The goods:
  • The range is better than the RC since it has its own 360 degree antennas that communicate directly with the drone.
  • The view screen has 1920x1080 resolution per eye.
  • It's like sitting in a move theater.
  • Head tracking
  • Low latency
  • SD card playback of drone footage.
The bads:
  • As of .800 for some reason HDMI signals don't use the entire screen, scaling it slightly. Some notice this, others don't. For me it's hard to ignore. I'm still at .700 on the goggles because of it.
  • The head band tends to slip off your head for some people when moving the goggles from the folded up position to the down position.
  • Some complain of light leaks.
  • No diopter adjustment. Normally users wearing glasses just use those glasses to see, but users with reading glasses require a stronger pair for the goggles.
  • You can't play videos that aren't drone footage from the SD card.
  • Not sure why, but some people complain they're too heavy, despite it being advertised already. The viewer is 500g, and the headband is 500g. This totals to 1kg.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice here.
It's a not easy making this decision on buying them or not. Cyberpower has some really good positives which draw me in to buying them with a few negative points which makes me think twice about whether or not I should really spend this kind of money with these risks involved which you mentioned rob. I'm really dubious as I've recently spent £500 on Fatshark v3 he's, and the screens are so blurred I'm nothing other than frustrated when I use them. So frustrated in fact that I'm going to sell them now. I've tried diopters but nothing works.
And I'm concerned I'll buy these dji goggles and end up with exactly the same problem.

[emoji53]

At least with the DJI goggles there are known solutions if you have blur issues, someone's even developing a commercial product in the form of reader glasses you can attach to the goggles themselves instead of wearing them.

That would be a good solution. The problem I have is I have I guess what is classed as perfect sight, so I'm not sure how any kind of diopters could work for my eyes should I find the goggles to be blurry

How close can you focus properly on something?

If you have "perfect sight" your blur with the FS could simply be... becasue FS have always had relatively poor optics and the edges are never nice and sharp. Center should be pretty OK though.

If I put my finger in front of my eyes I can focus perfectly on my finger print with perfect clarity, around 5" away from my eyes. Any less than that it becomes blurred

Exact same as me, and the goggles work perfect for me without anything added. Don't know if other factors matter though.

Definitely. But I might be biased since I've been flying FPV for nearly 15 years, and visually that's basically finally the experience we were dreaming of all the way until now...

Definitely. But I might be biased since I've been flying FPV for nearly 15 years, and visually that's basically finally the experience we were dreaming of all the way until now...
That's really good, it's nice we finally have the technology.
Have you had any/many issues with them?

With regards to freezing video in the Goggles - I have not experienced this other than when I'm dealing with expected radio interference which is normal when I am pushing for distance in populated urban area (buildings and wireless routers) I downgraded firmware o .700 on the Mavic - and have .900 on the Goggles - works beautifully. With regards to recommendations on purchasing the Goggles - they are stupid amazing. I knew buying mine I'd be placed into the first version release to the public - and that I would be part of the "beta" - but this is cutting edge stuff - and par for the course as an early tech adopter. Its not just a video viewer - its a true control device that speaks directly to the Mavic itself with interactive HUD Aside from all the incredible features and tech, I will concur what others say about it with regards to focus blurring to my eyes, that is very real. I currently put +2.75 Reader glasses in front of my existing prescription glasses when wearing the goggles (Yes two glasses - over the next) with their dual beam screen video technology internally - they failed to incorporate proper diopter adjustment for close focus that may have been easier to deploy with a single screen etc. I considered returning them, struggled with it as a matter of fact - was hugely disappointed by this focus thing. Tried the work around online wth clipon on lenses etc - bad results. Until I went to Walgreens with my Goggles, and placed cheap reader glasses over my existing glasses - and was greeted by the picture I had hoped for. The experience in the goggles is remarkable - and it is a sensation of true flight with your brain and eyes inside the cockpit of the Mavic Looking at your iPhone or Android, or even Ipad Mini screen - truly doesn't do this thing justice. Its not the same. GET THE GOGGLES - ADJUST FOR THE READING GLASSES REQUIRMENTS - AND BE AMAZED. Its addictive.

Reactions: Clinton1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots