DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone ever dye or paint the Mavic body?

Garritynet

Reactions
I'm thinking about taking my Mavic Pro 2 apart and dying the body with Rit dye but I thought I would ask here first if anyone had experience with that or a specific reason to warn against it aside from immediately losing my care refresh that I literally just purchased.

I have this thing where I don't ever just leave things well enough alone and I'm always trying something new. It comes from a complete lack of fear for making mistakes, which is good because I absolutely make mistakes. I recently installed a 4hawks SR on my RC and the first mistake I made there was that now I can't use my $100 LifThor phone mount that was absolutely perfect for me and the second was I installed it after a 12 hour day at work, so much too tired for that kind of project, and as I was reassembling everything I realized I lost my 5D button so now the controller is in a box headed to Thunderdrones and I'm thinking about taking apart my Mavic PRO 2 and dying it black provided there's no tricking parts to put back together or that are easily and commonly broken in disassembly.

Yeah, I put a wrapgrade skin on it. Looks really good as far as skins go but still looks like a sticker to me. I'm just sorta considering dying it at this point but I've already started taking off the wrap. I did a fair job applying it and it's not the small imperfections that I don't like, it's the overall look. It just looks like a skin and I'm one of those guys that thinks that skins on cars are super cheesy and I guess I just brought that mentality with me to my drone.

I guess you could go to Harbor Freight and buy an airbrush and compressor kit and play Michelangelo. Or, go to your local shop that paints helmets, etc. and let them have a go at it.
I personally use skins. When I get tired of it I just replace it with a new look.

Reactions: Former Member
Nah, I was specifically thinking about full disassembly for a professional looking finish. Painting or dying isn't difficult but I don't know if there are any complications I should look out for when pulling it apart. I've since learned that you can't take the shell off the battery so I've decided against the project. Dropped $70 on a wrapgrade skin with accents and additional battery covers just to pull it off after. Definitely looks better in pictures than in person. Unfortunately even a very good wrap still looks like a wrap and I personally think they're kinda cheesy/cheap looking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini