DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone ever get too close to a big magnet??

Howcroft22

Reactions
I had a recent post and put up some screen recordings of my Mavic acting up. I’ve been getting all kinds of I MU and compass warnings. almost lost the bird. After trying to recalibrate everything and doing everything I can think of under the sun. I noticed I had large magnetic parts tray on the floor of my truck. I totally forgot it was there because it was under piece of paper. Anyways I put the controller next to it. and got a warning saying move away from magnetic interference. I know I had my Mavic on the floor the other day and I believe the magnet did something to my drone. It always wants to fly crooked As well. Anyone have any advice how to deal with this? I believe the magnet screwed up the compass somehow so calibration won’t do fix it. I’ve read about people degaussing. But not sure if that is the right way to do it and if I could make it worse.

I’m hoping what’s done isn’t permanent. I just got this thing back a couple days ago for repair.

It's unlikely that the compasses were directly affected by the magnet, but it is possible that other ferromagnetic components (e.g. screws) were magnetized enough to affect the compass readings. You could try a compass calibration to zero out those components, but if the acquired field strength is too large then degaussing is the way to go.

Reactions: Kilrah
It's unlikely that the compasses were directly affected by the magnet, but it is possible that other ferromagnetic components (e.g. screws) were magnetized enough to affect the compass readings. You could try a compass calibration to zero out those components, but if the acquired field strength is too large then degaussing is the way to go.

I tried compass cal a couple times. Did nothing. Still flys crooked and getting gps and compass warnings.i actually did everything just to be sure. IMU, compass. Gimbal, and RC. Didn’t fix. Also updated to newest firmware

I tried compass cal a couple times. Did nothing. Still flys crooked and getting gps and compass warnings.

If you want to post a flight log from one of those then it might shed some light on the problem. Best of all would be an aircraft DAT file, if you can get it, since those include the raw magnetometer data for both compasses.

If you want to post a flight log from one of those then it might shed some light on the problem. Best of all would be an aircraft DAT file, if you can get it, since those include the raw magnetometer data for both compasses.

Can I do that from an iPad?

there is a post on here a guy that bought one of those ( I forgot the name of it) let me see if I can find that post

yes but a guy on here is getting one in a couple of days and he will post if it helps him

grrrrr I cant find that post :(

well once he gets it and posts the info on what he finds! but personally I think there is some effect on the aircraft when it place close to a magnet the reason why I think this is cause there is some metal in the mavic that could be come magnetized

well once he gets it and posts the info on what he finds! but personally I think there is some effect on the aircraft when it place close to a magnet the reason why I think this is cause there is some metal in the mavic that could be come magnetized

Definitely.

lets hope that guy posts back what he finds out! cause I want to know too...

I have to get well away from my truck before the 'Magnetic Disturbance' warning quits, also remove my cell flip phone from any pocket close to the controller.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23