DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flown in Kenya?

macfawlty

Reactions
I read conflicting information on bringing my M2P Kenya so I wrote to the KCAA. Got this message.

We write in response to your email dated February 11th, 2019.

Following the annulment of the Civil Aviation(Remotely Piloted Aircraft
Systems)Regulations 2017 by the National Assembly, the Authority is not in a
position to process any applications as necessary. The process of issuing
Import Permit ,UAV/RPAS Operating Certificate, registration and/or
Authorization to fly is hereby suspended until further notice.

Any development on the regulations will be communicated.

Best regards,
RPAS Management Office,
Directorate, Aviation Safety, Security & Regulations Kenya Civil Aviation
Authority, Head Office, Aviation House Jomo Kenyatta International Airport,
Nairobi, P.O. Box 30163-00100,Nairobi,KENYA.

Sorry for the late response. I've flown there a couple of times and as you can imagine, the regulations are not super clear. I've stayed away from crowds, airports etc. The usual common sense type of stuff.

I'd say ask permission where you know people would mind and always launch from a safe place. Definitely keep a line of sight at all times and UAV forecast should help with staying away from military bases which you may not know of.

Sorry again if this is too late, but enjoy(or you enjoyed) Kenya.

In the parks, it's generally not allowed as helicopters fly low and there's issues with poachers using drones to find animals so I'd say avoid flying in the national parks unless you get permission from them in person.

Sorry for the late response. I've flown there a couple of times and as you can imagine, the regulations are not super clear. I've stayed away from crowds, airports etc. The usual common sense type of stuff.

I'd say ask permission where you know people would mind and always launch from a safe place. Definitely keep a line of sight at all times and UAV forecast should help with staying away from military bases which you may not know of.

Sorry again if this is too late, but enjoy(or you enjoyed) Kenya.

In the parks, it's generally not allowed as helicopters fly low and there's issues with poachers using drones to find animals so I'd say avoid flying in the national parks unless you get permission from them in person.

Thanks for the reply. Their response didn't provide much context, but apparently they banned drones sometime last year (2018). I'm not sure why, but your comment about poachers using them to find animals seems a likely justification. Preferring not to get shot, I'll have to leave the drone at home.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada