DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone have a soft corner in stills?

hidaven

Reactions
My M2P has a softer lower right corner but only visible in stills. Not a big corner, small in fact but it still bothers me. How are your corners? All tack sharp or do you have a soft corner or 2??

Thanks

Reactions: Roamer105
What is your aperture? Some cameras have some softness in the corners at wide open (f2.8)

Reactions: genesimmons
You wouldnt expect sharp corners (even top end DSLR and MF lenses can have soft corners).
Also, as it applies a distortion correction to those areas it does some stretching and so on which can lead to softness.

It shouldnt be too bad though. Massively better than the older mavics.

"Massively better than the older mavics" is exactly what it is. Even at wide open, while there indeed is some softness in corners, it's still better than you could ever dream with Mavic 1.

I found that most of the softness in the corners at wide open goes away already when stopped down to f4, with best quality at f5.6. After f8 things start to degrade all over due to diffraction.

And what is best, most part of the frame seems to be pretty much optimally sharp already white open – not seeing any major difference between f2.8 vs f5.6 in the center.

Its pretty normal for soft corners at f2.8, though if you stop down it should go away :)

My M2P has a softer lower right corner but only visible in stills. Not a big corner, small in fact but it still bothers me. How are your corners? All tack sharp or do you have a soft corner or 2??

Thanks
It would help a lot if you uploaded an image so that we can review it for you.

It would help a lot if you uploaded an image so that we can review it for you.

I'm a pro for 25 years, I know what a soft corner is..... Just looking for input from those who have taken stills.

Here is a photo a I did today. Feel free to comment.

Attachments

• DJI_0958.JPG
    DJI_0958.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 112
I'm a pro for 25 years, I know what a soft corner is..... Just looking for input from those who have taken stills.
thats fine ur a "pro" i think he was simply asking for an example of the issue u are having, its a lot easieer to dtermine if the issue if a camera setting or a camera issue itself with an example,

I think he just wants to judge if your soft corner is any worse than anyone else’s? Don’t think he was having a go at your credentials to identify one.

...or he wants to see what you’re taking pics of, of course.

Yes, i have left corner soft, just like older mavic problems but not that bad. Its not a aperture problem for sure.
If u focus there its ok, but then right side goes soft.
So same warranty rumble again, like mavic 1

Reactions: hidaven
I tried a range of aperture tests, corner sharpness was unaffected throughout that.

Far better than my mavic 1 where the left 15% was soft and needed cropping on every single image.

You'd EXPECT corners to be soft on every lens on every camera so without seeing the images its impossible to tell if its worse or normal.

Lower left corner seems soft on mine... These photos are not best example but I notived mine fairly quickly when I went through my first photo tour. I sold my Phantom 4 Pro and eagerly awaited this guy, and now I am forced to decide if I should send it back and get a replacement as I do not like it. However it is fall here and the colors are really popping nicely so I do not want to lose my drone yet. I might wait for winter. It's not bad enough to be a write off but for a pixel peeper I am not pleased...

Attachments

• DoubleU3.jpg
    DoubleU3.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DoubleU4.jpg
    DoubleU4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • DoubleU2.jpg
    DoubleU2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78
Reactions: chipwich
Lower left corner seems soft on mine... These photos are not best example but I notived mine fairly quickly when I went through my first photo tour. I sold my Phantom 4 Pro and eagerly awaited this guy, and now I am forced to decide if I should send it back and get a replacement as I do not like it. However it is fall here and the colors are really popping nicely so I do not want to lose my drone yet. I might wait for winter. It's not bad enough to be a write off but for a pixel peeper I am not pleased...

Your corners look perfectly fine, I'd be surprised if you got a better unit back as a replacement. Probably good chances that you'd get a slightly worse. I think mine's a bit softer than this (can't compare really since you didn't mention which aperture these are taken at), but I have no intentions to send it back. There's no such thing as corner-to-corner sharp lens in the price range of what we're talking about here for the optics alone. You can start to expect to get totally sharp corners from the HUGE Zeiss lenses for DSLRs which alone cost 2-3x the price of the whole Mavic2.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I tried a range of aperture tests, corner sharpness was unaffected throughout that.

Far better than my mavic 1 where the left 15% was soft and needed cropping on every single image.

You'd EXPECT corners to be soft on every lens on every camera so without seeing the images its impossible to tell if its worse or normal.
How do you explain why right side is always nice and sharp

Your corners look perfectly fine, I'd be surprised if you got a better unit back as a replacement. Probably good chances that you'd get a slightly worse. I think mine's a bit softer than this (can't compare really since you didn't mention which aperture these are taken at), but I have no intentions to send it back. There's no such thing as corner-to-corner sharp lens in the price range of what we're talking about here for the optics alone. You can start to expect to get totally sharp corners from the HUGE Zeiss lenses for DSLRs which alone cost 2-3x the price of the whole Mavic2.
So how do you explain why right side is better that left? Even my mavic 1 is sharp on both sides. If sensor and lens ok, image should be equal on both sides

It's hard to tell in your samples because they're what, 2k pixels on the long edge? Web-sized images aren't incredibly useful except for demonstrating problems except in the very worst cases.

If you've got one corner that's consistently and significantly weaker than the others, I'd send it in. That points to lens element tilt, or some other sort of decentering, and that's not acceptable.

Corners can be razor sharp, or soft, or somewhere in between, but they should be similar. One or two terrible corners, or a very soft side, points to a QA failure.

How do you explain why right side is always nice and sharp

So how do you explain why right side is better that left?

Manufacturing tolerances. My M2 is sharp on both sides, optical drop off in the corner but thats normal for any lens.

Far better than my Mavic 1 where the left 15% or so of the frame was so out of focus i had to crop almost every image.

Usually its manufacturing tolerances either in the lens itself or the sensor and lens arent exactly parallel on the focal plane.

Reactions: miemo
So how do you explain why right side is better that left? Even my mavic 1 is sharp on both sides. If sensor and lens ok, image should be equal on both sides

Again, that's perfectly normal behaviour for pretty much all lenses. They rarely perform 100% identically in all corners.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
It's hard to tell in your samples because they're what, 2k pixels on the long edge? Web-sized images aren't incredibly useful except for demonstrating problems except in the very worst cases.

If you've got one corner that's consistently and significantly weaker than the others, I'd send it in. That points to lens element tilt, or some other sort of decentering, and that's not acceptable.

Corners can be razor sharp, or soft, or somewhere in between, but they should be similar. One or two terrible corners, or a very soft side, points to a QA failure.[/
Again, that's perfectly normal behaviour for pretty much all lenses. They rarely perform 100% identically in all corners.
Well this **** aint normal so stop confusing people here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661