DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone having heat issues?

Gene465

Reactions
So took my mini 3 for a quick test run out in backyard, ( did my updates yesterday), i know airflow is key to keeping the drone cool, but just flew around for about 20 mins in normal mode and both the rc controller and drone seemed hotter than normal, controller was as hot as my android phone after a couple of packs in my mini 2 before switching to the smart controller which does not get hot. Had the screen brightness at 75%. Will have to test at flying field this weekend.

direct sunlight and high ambient air temperature ,play the biggest part in heating the RC and drone up ,and the air temp near to the ground is always going to be hotter due to the radiated heat from the surroundings, the drone has the luxury of being able to fly in the cooler air at higher altitude ,plus the fact it is also moving which all helps to keep the temperature within the specified limits
the RC on the other hand does not enjoy such things as it is stationary in the direct heat both from the sun and its surroundings

I just turned my on for the first time and dit the updates. RED HOT. Normal? I didn't fly it yet!
I would advise all new drone folks have a fan blowing over your drone when you first activate it. As the drone is powered on, and not moving, things get hot.
You need to update all your stuff. DJI fly app, controller, batteries, and drone. Takes a little while to accomplish all the updates. Doesn't hurt to keep the drone cool. 😎

The Mini 3 Pro does get hotter then the other drones I have owned. It appears to have protection fo this which is good. Mine shutdown after a 10 min flight on landing.

The Mini 3 Pro does get hotter then the other drones I have owned. It appears to have protection fo this which is good.
Not if it decides to shutdown in the middle of a flight! Is overheating a bigger thing with the Mini 3 (for some reason)? If so, that's not a good sign.

DJI's literature on the Mini 3 Pro states that a majority of the cooling comes from the spinning blades. The air scoops also play a key part in keeping air flowing over the main board while in flight.

I just turned my on for the first time and dit the updates. RED HOT. Normal? I didn't fly it yet!
There's no cooling fan in the M3P, so it's expected that it will be hotter during operation. It's apparent on mine when it's powered on without the motors turning. There's a thermal limit switch that will shut the power down above some unknown temperature to avoid damage.

For reference, most people prefer bath water to be about 105 F. Most people can tolerate touching objects at 120 F or so without significant discomfort. Metals won't glow red until they're heated to 1000 F or so.

Is your drone too hot to touch?

You need airflow to keep this cool - there's no fan.

So spinning props and ideally airflow on top.

Generally with this its a good idea to get the props spinning or in the air ASAP once its deployed.

Edit:- Assuming i can source a fly more kit by the 29th i'll give it a proper heat test in Greece the end of the month. Expect mid 30s ambient air temps. Will see if it struggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
There's no cooling fan in the M3P, so it's expected that it will be hotter during operation. It's apparent on mine when it's powered on without the motors turning. There's a thermal limit switch that will shut the power down above some unknown temperature to avoid damage.

For reference, most people prefer bath water to be about 105 F. Most people can tolerate touching objects at 120 F or so without significant discomfort. Metals won't glow red until they're heated to 1000 F or so.

Is your drone too hot to touch?

not to touch, no

So took my mini 3 for a quick test run out in backyard, ( did my updates yesterday), i know airflow is key to keeping the drone cool, but just flew around for about 20 mins in normal mode and both the rc controller and drone seemed hotter than normal, controller was as hot as my android phone after a couple of packs in my mini 2 before switching to the smart controller which does not get hot. Had the screen brightness at 75%. Will have to test at flying field this weekend.
Do you thing that controller and phone for 150$ will be extra quality? Smart Controller is for 1000$, thus there will be hopefully some quality.

I think the smart controller is one of the better engineered units they have made. The one on my M2E DUO was more robust however , never had heat problems with it. My Mini 3 shuts down and there is diaglog on screw not that it should land because of heat.
It apprears the Mini 3 team has componstated for this in design. I would bring this up with DJI support . Swicthing to controller with phone is a bad choice (not sure it is supported yet anyway). Also it is a new release and in Chicago area been running 90 deg F for two week on and off.

Do you thing that controller and phone for 150$ will be extra quality? Smart Controller is for 1000$, thus there will be hopefully some quality.
Depends on your preferences, pro and cons to both, i prefer th rc controller over my phone set up

It heats up doing the rapid transfer also. I need to find a fan unit.

The manual for the Mini 3 is a better source of information. Page 70. No fan.

You can download it from the DJI website.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 235646.jpg

In a 15-minute span close to sundown the Mini 2 seemed unusually hot to the touch but I did not see any warning about overheating? When removing the battery it did not feel unusually hot? Will DJI fly app issue an overheated warning?

On the first 2 flights, I did not feel any heat emanating from Mini 2, but on a third landing, it felt unusually hot. I was closing down anyway, but I would not have proceeded until the Mini 2 cooled off. It seemed to cool off in about 10 minutes. Still. I am very concerned about further flights when the mini 2 itself feels hotter than the battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu