DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone here who flew the Spark first (or still flies the Spark also)?

NaweG

Reactions
Am considering moving up to a Mavic 2 Pro. My main concern is that with my current Spark I can only get around 600 feet in most places here (have to get outside even the burbs to get further) due to the interference. San Antonio, Texas for reference. While I know I'd get better quality footage, is the controller link better/stronger to where I should get more range as well? Or do I need to just be content with better quality?

I can’t speak for the Mavic 2, but the Mavic pro platinum has a stronger signal than my P4P and even much stronger than my spark ever had.

My first drone was a Spark. The only complaint I had about it was a serious lack of range in treed areas. In the trees, the Spark would start losing signal at around 500 feet. Flying over the bay where there was no obstruction, I wouldn't lose signal until 1000-1200 feet(Direct visual contact was getting spotty at that point anyway.). I got a Mavic Pro because I wanted greater range. Absolutely NO disappointments. I can't give you exact numbers on distance, but, let's just say that I have NEVER lost signal while flying the Mavic.

My first drone was a Spark. The only complaint I had about it was a serious lack of range in treed areas. In the trees, the Spark would start losing signal at around 500 feet. Flying over the bay where there was no obstruction, I wouldn't lose signal until 1000-1200 feet(Direct visual contact was getting spotty at that point anyway.). I got a Mavic Pro because I wanted greater range. Absolutely NO disappointments. I can't give you exact numbers on distance, but, let's just say that I have NEVER lost signal while flying the Mavic.
I agree. With my Mavic Pro I can easily fly at 125' for over a mile over southeastern marsh land here in Savannah. I have absolutely no doubt I could go further but I get scared. Lol.

Plus, at that point I'm getting somewhere in the mid to high 60's battery power so I'm just not taking it much further unless the wind was at my back on the way home...

Reactions: Shuggins
Feeling much more confident about moving forward. Thanks for all the information!

I still have my Spark. Although I must admit that it stays on the shelf now.
I switched to the MP2 last fall.

The big changes you will see right away:
- The Mavic is much more responsive. Like a Spark on Steroid. It's a WOW factor at first, but you will get used to it quickly.
-No more launch/take the shot/come back and land/ because you are running out of battery. Now, you can relax and cruise around. Very different time management as a result.
- Better quality picture. (I don't do video).
- It's nice to be able to be able to set aperture, speed etc, like on a real camera, and shooting raw.
- It's nice not to mess with WIFI anymore. Set the cable. You are good to go.
- Ability to set ND filters and do long exposure. Yes you read that right. The Mavic, being heavier, is much more stable than the Spark. 4 seconds exposure are doable. I flew the Spark last week and couldn't believe how much it was trying to stay in position in light winds. The included picture is from San Antonio by the way...

What you will miss from the Spark:
- The size. It really looks like a toy now, compared to the Mavic. And therefore, easier and lighter to carry.
- Not having to set the props. In fact, I have a case for the Mavic where I can leave the props ON. Less tear and wear on the hinges. Less risk of badly positioning a prop. Basically trying to set up like a Spark, which was quicker to launch.
- People not bothering you, since it looked like more like a toy. Now with the Mavic, I get a lot more questions, or plain right hostility from them.

You get a better aircraft with the Mavic, moving up a notch.DJI SAT sunrise.jpg

Those with the Sparks, have any of you tried a different frequency?
I use 5.8ghz only and get 1500ft minimum in my heavily treed & WiFi area.
1800ft is shown at the fade to return:

Learned at the DJI Photo Academy to put checking the controller frequency for interference on the pre-flight checklist.
If it is a bad channel, change it before flight.

And Howdy neighbor:

Last edited:
No I never bothered or learned about it. With the lower time on the battery, it’s not like we can go very far anyway.

No I never bothered or learned about it. With the lower time on the battery, it’s not like we can go very far anyway.

I should have explained further that it is for all models.
Lower models have to be switched on the ground while higher models can be switched in flight.

And Howdy neighbor:
[/QUOTE]

Since you're in the neighborhood - was out last week trying to do a fly-over of the Quarry near Eisenhower park with a takeoff from the Hilltop observation point (I was by, but not on the tower). Could only get about halfway there (1300 ft), which is why I was thinking that I might have overestimated the Spark's abilities. Had expected to be constrained by battery not transmission (got back with over 60% battery left).

Anyway, I thought about going back and launching from the trailhead area where they have the talks sometimes, but worried that there are so many trees I won't do much (any?) better at getting there. Just wondering if you ever got out that way :cool:

Still have my Spark, despite upgrading to a Mavic Air. Everything people are saying is dead on. But I still love the good ole Spark. I use an OTG cable and it makes a difference in connectivity. I can get about 1200-1500 feet in my densely populated neighborhood. There's also something unique about the colors produced by my Spark...the blues especially seem to pop. Also, I have a set of polar pro nd filters that have given nice results on Spark.

If I want to get 'serious' photos, I'll always grab the Mavic Air, but the Spark, as mentioned, is just 'easy'.

I fly my Spark everyday. I also fly the Spark in light rain . I have a rain gauge built into memory. If its within a certain parameters I fly. I know some will say "RAIN, never I will never fly in the rain" But it has to be light rain. The controller can't tolerate water so that must be kept dry as best as possible..I have watched a video with some guy pouring buckets of water on the Spark and it held up with no problem. So with a light rain, No problem...The M2Z I also try to fly everyday. I don't fly that in light rain not on Purpose anyway. The Spark is a joy to fly....

Range is a massive improvement if you have trees/forest in your LOS. The Spark's connection will stall very quickly, the Mavic can go on a long while.

Much smoother panning with a Mavic too BUT the MP/MPP have a tilted horizon issue when you yaw/turn no one tells you about, the Spark and Air don't.

And Howdy neighbor:

Since you're in the neighborhood - was out last week trying to do a fly-over of the Quarry near Eisenhower park with a takeoff from the Hilltop observation point (I was by, but not on the tower). Could only get about halfway there (1300 ft), which is why I was thinking that I might have overestimated the Spark's abilities. Had expected to be constrained by battery not transmission (got back with over 60% battery left).

Anyway, I thought about going back and launching from the trailhead area where they have the talks sometimes, but worried that there are so many trees I won't do much (any?) better at getting there. Just wondering if you ever got out that way :cool:
[/QUOTE]

Not at all but I am glad you asked.
Flying from Eisenhower Park, you are close to Camp Bullis and there is an airspace restriction nearby.
I see the quarry you want to fly to but there is a tip of airspace restriction between the highway and the quarry.
And zooming in, it gets real tight with critical infrastructure (radio tower and power distribution hub)
Gotta stay 400 ft away from those by Texas law.

Use an app called AirMap (or web based https://app.airmap.com) to see.

Really great app to have on the mobile device so you can check where you are at.

**I found the tower you spoke of...right in the NFZ :eek:

Best approach would be from that lower parking lot from the red square building.
Stay close to that point of the blue airspace, clear the tower and then you can get in there.
I'd love to try that :D

**Also, I just found that DJI FlySafe will limit you to 150ft because you are in San Antonio Int. final approach.
You will have to tap a confirmation circle to accept responsibility to fly.
AirMap does not designate it as controlled airspace but such is the life of DJI FlySafe - wrong sometimes.

Last edited:
I still have my Spark. Although I must admit that it stays on the shelf now.
I switched to the MP2 last fall.

The big changes you will see right away:
- The Mavic is much more responsive. Like a Spark on Steroid. It's a WOW factor at first, but you will get used to it quickly.
-No more launch/take the shot/come back and land/ because you are running out of battery. Now, you can relax and cruise around. Very different time management as a result.
- Better quality picture. (I don't do video).
- It's nice to be able to be able to set aperture, speed etc, like on a real camera, and shooting raw.
- It's nice not to mess with WIFI anymore. Set the cable. You are good to go.
- Ability to set ND filters and do long exposure. Yes you read that right. The Mavic, being heavier, is much more stable than the Spark. 4 seconds exposure are doable. I flew the Spark last week and couldn't believe how much it was trying to stay in position in light winds. The included picture is from San Antonio by the way...

What you will miss from the Spark:
- The size. It really looks like a toy now, compared to the Mavic. And therefore, easier and lighter to carry.
- Not having to set the props. In fact, I have a case for the Mavic where I can leave the props ON. Less tear and wear on the hinges. Less risk of badly positioning a prop. Basically trying to set up like a Spark, which was quicker to launch.
- People not bothering you, since it looked like more like a toy. Now with the Mavic, I get a lot more questions, or plain right hostility from them.

You get a better aircraft with the Mavic, moving up a notch.View attachment 77073

How do you get a picture like this one? Do you use some kind of editor or are you using settings in the camera in the dji app?

I have a spark and live in houston tx and it gets more than a mile and a half range. Flying from my house it does fine except in one direction it has interference over apartment complex. I have the best luck with channels 161 and 165. I upgraded to a mavic air so dont fly it much but the spark is an awesome drone and fun as hell to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom