DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Arizona

@Tinmania

Hi Mike...

I'm going exactly the opposite direction. Had been flying the Mavic Pro coming up on a year now, and started going into the fixed wing flying. I find the MP's RC much easier then learning the sticks on the fixed wings. Just now getting more confident on my landings. Keep at it and your nerves will get calmer over time. That's not to say they'll go away all together, but it will get easier. ;)
Thanks! Part of it, I think, is that when flying fixed wing I am usually at "my" field (my club's field), with people I know around. With my Mavic I am usually alone or with my wife. So no experienced 'oldtimers around to offer support. (Thankfully, this forum is a decent substitute!)

Also don't have another drone yet, at least like the Mavic (I do have a toy drone from Amazon that was like $35). I think I will feel better if I have a "spare." I know when flying fixed wing I always had at least 3 capable planes in my stable that I could use if one, ahem, died prematurely.

I didn't think the Mavic Pro would scare me too much since it is inexpensive compared to my fixed wing stuff. Heck my primary transmitter for fixed wing cost more than my MP, which included a pretty nice controller on its own. But it's like I am in the danged Mavic or something since that is how I feel. Oh well, takes time. Already much better. :)

Mike

I've been learning a lot from those OT's down at the field... I fly with EVA down at the Ironwood field. They are very helpful to newbies like myself. Although the real OT's don't like the SAFE Tech in these newer trainers. Makes it easier for people like me that have to learn from our own mistakes... as opposed to hooking up to a buddy box. My son (34) and I have been learning, on the trainer, by ourselves. It's coming along fine, so far.
With the Mavic, just keep on top of your settings in the Go4 app, or whichever one you use, and double check them after every FW and App update. Especially your RTH mode and altitude. Take good care of your MP and she'll do you the same. I got mine put in storage mode, so as not to get myself confused while learning the fixed wing's RC, but will be more then happy to charge 'er up should you ever wanna meet at the field or somewhere and go over anything or just fly.

I usually go to Chandler.... right behind PayPal Headquarters. Lots of open desert [emoji266] behind it.... and I've set my best records there. Fly from Chandler past the I-10 and back. I think 4.8 miles is my best with the P4

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I am looking to buy either dji googles or the avegant glyphs googles and i wonder if anyone out there has a review or a location to try them both out before i purchase

I am looking to buy either dji googles or the avegant glyphs googles and i wonder if anyone out there has a review or a location to try them both out before i purchase

New DJI store just opened in Scottsdale AZ. Not sure but they might let you try the product out there. I know they had a grand opening event and were letting people test stuff out.

I'm in the Phoenix East Valley area in Mesa. Are their any drone clubs or groups out here? The only clubs I've found thus far are either fixed wing only or helo only.

Surprise is a few miles away, but Gilbert is practically in my back yard.

Have you guys found any local drone clubs? It appears that the local fixed wing and helicopter clubs have the public flying fields tied up. I'm not very far from the Basin flying fields off of Elliot, but it looks like the fixed wing and helo clubs have rights to those fields. I plan to stop at the Mesa Parks and Recreation office to see if Mesa offers anything for drones.

Honestly not that I know of, I really haven’t seaked out any clubs though.

Just fly with a buddy and do some range tests out in the middle of nowhere for fun

I am not interested in the clubs to be honest( I am member of a club for a different hobby), and it sounds like the clubs wont be very welcoming of people that fly drones.

I am not interested in the clubs to be honest( I am member of a club for a different hobby), and it sounds like the clubs wont be very welcoming of people that fly drones.

Agreed 100%
Unless it’s a DJI specific club I’d just meet others flying and go have some fun.

I've heard that the clubs that have rights to the Basin flying fields do not welcome drone operators. I've seen lots of fixed wing flyers using one basin field,. but have never seen any RC helicopters using the other Basin field. You would think that drones and helicopters would be a good match.

I've heard that the clubs that have rights to the Basin flying fields do not welcome drone operators. I've seen lots of fixed wing flyers using one basin field,. but have never seen any RC helicopters using the other Basin field. You would think that drones and helicopters would be a good match.
I would agree that way of thinking, but sadly, they dont feel the same way.

There is spot here in Surprise that is used for fixed wing R/C, I might try flying from that spot and see if I get a warm welcome.

The EVA Club, on Ironwood just before the race track, is warm to drones. they actually have an area, albeit kinda small, specifically for drones and helos. Although they don't mind ya flying on the big field every now and then. I had joined them just for the open space to fly without neighbors getting all freaked out about a drone flying 400 feet over their houses.

I've since moved out to the west side of Phoenix, so EVA is just a little too far to drive. Out here I've found AMPS Field. They don't have a dedicated area, but are pretty open to drones. I've got into the fixed wings since joining the club, but still break out my MP, toss it into sport mode and put it up for a good 15 minutes of flight time. ;)

Reactions: jws926
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78