DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

anyone shoot/edit 4K 60fps successfully?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I'm using Vegas Pro 18 and even with a newly built relatively fast PC it just crashes every few minutes.
It works fine with 4K/30fps but just wondering if anone has no issues editing 60fps and if so what do you use for post?
Thanks,
Randy

Reactions: captg
Hey Randy,
I constantly shoot in 4k60 and edit on my MacBook Pro 2018 using Adobe premiere pro. No issues. I do use proxies when editing to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks guys, so running without proxies doesn't work for you either I take it.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much...my 6 year old PC wouldn't handle 60 fps and was hoping my new one would...oh well I'll just start building proxies...thanks again!

Hey Randy. I have a daytime job and can't post logs or screenshots right now, and I'm a part-timer when it comes to this. I just want to back you up and say the following:

1. H265 files out of the drone give me lots of trouble, even just playback.
2. I have jitter/pulsing after processing, especially if I apply LUTs, etc
3. I've used several editing tools. Right now using Premier which is ok not great... too expensive
4. I have a very modern Windows-based PC with a powerful but 4 year old GPU
5. Moving to H264 solved some but not all of my problems
6. Feeling of loneliness as others seem to be just fine

Reactions: Bransty and captg
Hey Randy. I have a daytime job and can't post logs or screenshots right now, and I'm a part-timer when it comes to this. I just want to back you up and say the following:

1. H265 files out of the drone give me lots of trouble, even just playback.
2. I have jitter/pulsing after processing, especially if I apply LUTs, etc
3. I've used several editing tools. Right now using Premier which is ok not great... too expensive
4. I have a very modern Windows-based PC with a powerful but 4 year old GPU
5. Moving to H264 solved some but not all of my problems
6. Feeling of loneliness as others seem to be just fine
good point, I remeber switching to H264 after having issues with H265 but maybe an update changed it (or I inadvertently did)...I'll check to see next flight...thanks!

I'm using Vegas Pro 18 and even with a newly built relatively fast PC it just crashes every few minutes.
It works fine with 4K/30fps but just wondering if anone has no issues editing 60fps and if so what do you use for post?
Thanks,
Randy
So, I realize that you are using a PC platform, and I am by no means an Apple 'fanboy', but in general, their computer products have served very well over the years working with and editing digital media such as video files. I have two iPads, the 10.5" iPad Pro (circa 2017), and most recently, the iPad Mini 5. I use them for flying, as I like to have a larger screen to look at, and on both, I have an app called LumaFusion which is unfortunately only available in iOS right now, but it's a very powerful video editing app that has far more abilities than I would ever use...at least right now. Both iPads have no issue with any 4K files and treat them like butter.

Both iPads have no issue with any 4K files and treat them like butter.
even @ 60fps?

Both iPads have no issue with any 4K files and treat them like butter.
even @ 60fps?

I can confirm that, my iPad Pro 1st gen also plays them just fine.
Also, the MacBook Pro i mentioned earlier is playing them ok with the condition of leaving it to “preload” the video. It takes a few seconds for QuickTime to do it (you can see it in the touchbar as a sort of progress) and then it’s very smooth.
You can’t use H.264 on 4k60.

Last edited:
More modern phones and tablets can play these files. PC with old video cards can't. And it is no matter how powerful is your card, the technology is the matter here. The old card not supports H265 codes and there is no way to fix that. Change the card with newer one and you are fine....

So, I realize that you are using a PC platform, and I am by no means an Apple 'fanboy', but in general, their computer products have served very well over the years working with and editing digital media such as video files. I have two iPads, the 10.5" iPad Pro (circa 2017), and most recently, the iPad Mini 5. I use them for flying, as I like to have a larger screen to look at, and on both, I have an app called LumaFusion which is unfortunately only available in iOS right now, but it's a very powerful video editing app that has far more abilities than I would ever use...at least right now. Both iPads have no issue with any 4K files and treat them like butter.
It looks like LumaFusion is now offered for Windows now.
I just briefly looked at this, does it do more than 1 track?

More modern phones and tablets can play these files. PC with old video cards can't. And it is no matter how powerful is your card, the technology is the matter here. The old card not supports H265 codes and there is no way to fix that. Change the card with newer one and you are fine....
I just built the PC a couple months ago...I can provide specs but this is the GPU and it got good reviews.

The CPU is not important, the graphic card is...
I would argue that the CPU is also important (even tho I use the GPU to render and my CPU is not that taxed).
My point being that while the CPU I picked is not the best it should be sufficient.
I should also mention my whining about playback rate is (3-4 fps) prolly due to me using a 50" TV as an external monitor...but it can crash even when not using the external source.

It's not about how powerful your CPU is. It's about whether your computer can decode H.265 in the hardware. If it can't, you won't get smooth playback.

Reactions: JustAGuy
4K 60 is only available in h265
It's not about how powerful your CPU is. It's about whether your computer can decode H.265 in the hardware. If it can't, you won't get smooth playback.
I believe the hardware is not the issue as I used all components recommended for an editing machine but I wonder if there is some coding I'm missing that could be downloaded that would help with H.265.
I just googled H.265 with Vegas Pro and got several hits so I'll research and report back...thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky