DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone successfully blocked GPS?

isc1492

Reactions
Turns out I live a few minutes inside a red zone. Yeah I can drive a little bit outside of it and find a park fine - it still sucks that I'm that close to being able to fly it in my neighborhood. So yeah, has anyone successfully blocked GPS/enabled ATTI mode manually? Already tried a generous amount of aluminum foil, and it still connected to plenty of satellites.(also it got pretty hot lol)

Purchase an Autel drone ;)

Have you tried to disable gps in the drone parameters? I don't know if it works on mini2 though.
g_config_gps_cfg_gps_enable
Let me know if it does.

Have you tried to disable gps in the drone parameters? I don't know if it works on mini2 though.
g_config_gps_cfg_gps_enable
Let me know if it does.
I tried following this tutorial:
But I can't seem to find the line in the main.js file he is talking about in the beginning. I had to download the DJI Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones and i guess it's different and you cant use the assistant app for much on the mini 2

Last edited:
Reactions: careless
But I can't seem to find the line in the main.js file he is talking about in the beginning. I had to download the DJI Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones and i guess it's different
I am not all that drone cognizant but the modification suggested above appears to me to be a good way to void the warranty and perhaps brick the device. Further, if such modification was determined to have facilitated the violation of law(s), the existence of the proposed hack may work to prove intent. I would be very cautious, IIWY.

Reactions: Galeforce1
Often GPS is still picked up in buildings and parking garages. It is legal to fly in those no matter where as far as FAA is concerned.

But I can't seem to find the line in the main.js file he is talking about in the beginning. I had to download the DJI Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones and i guess it's different and you cant use the assistant app for much on the mini 2
Seems like they changed name on mini 2.
As soon as I get my hand of one, I will let you know.
It's much simplier to use drone-hacks.com, let you change parameters for free.
I'm working on an app where everything can be made from the app, but it's not public yet.

Of course, everything is on your own risc, but parameter change is quite safe. I'm been doing it for years without any problems.

Reactions: Sablue
Just apply for an unlock.

There is a reason the zone is red. You need permission to fly there from the FAA. If it's an area you can get permission, just apply for the permission and then get you drone unlocked. Check that by putting your address in the search box here: ArcGIS Web Application

Unless it is in a grid with a 0 in it, you can get permission to fly there. If it is a 0 grid, you can't as a recreational flyer. And if it's 0, then you shouldn't be flying there.

has anyone successfully blocked GPS/enabled ATTI mode manually?
Before you imagine you'll be able to fly free in atti mode, are you aware of this limitation found on p40 in your manual?
Height is restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Infrared Sensing System is operating.
Height is restricted to 98 ft (30 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Infrared Sensing System is not operating.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Welcome to the forum.

A lot to learn.

Turns out I live a few minutes inside a red zone. Yeah I can drive a little bit outside of it and find a park fine - it still sucks that I'm that close to being able to fly it in my neighborhood. So yeah, has anyone successfully blocked GPS/enabled ATTI mode manually? Already tried a generous amount of aluminum foil, and it still connected to plenty of satellites.(also it got pretty hot lol)

WELCOME to the forum :)

Have you checked to see if the "Red Zone" you're living in is even LEGAL To fly in terms of the FAA and Airspace Approvals? Here is the UAS Facility Map so you can find your exact location to determine if it's legal to fly or if you need to submit a request to the FAA (has nothing to do with DJI's GEO Fence. Submission can be through LAANC (if applicable) or through the FAA DroneZone. (both are hyper links so you can learn more)

Here is the UAS Facility Map to show which airspace needs FAA Approval to fly in.

Here's a great app to use to research your location AND to submit a request to fly in controlled areas from the FAA:

Keep in mind that, currently, the DJI Geo Fencing and FAA Airspace Approvals (via LAANC or DroneZeon) are not linked in ANY way what so ever. It's common to need to get approval from each one to fly and fly legally. Maybe in the future this won't be the case

Reactions: rp6 and Howard70
So what's your definition of a red zone? Before I did some reading and finally studied for my Pt107 I didn't understand all the different circles on the map on the app. I mean, there are no-fly zones, and there are places to take great caution in and everything in between.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Often GPS is still picked up in buildings and parking garages. It is legal to fly in those no matter where as far as FAA is concerned.
OP was pretty clear he wanted to fly around his neighborhood, so unless he is on The Truman Show, don't think there is a huge dome covering his neighborhood. :)

Reactions: DanMan32
I guess a real question nobody has asked yet is this - "Does the drone / flyapp give off a warning / won't fly due to you being in the "red zone?" Esp on the fringes - it may look red in KittyHawk or other apps and yet the drone may fly without any issues. It also may require you to unlock the zone and then you're free to fly.

Exactly what is the "RED ZONE" for - a major airport / military facility / etc? That helps when trying to help you figure the issue out.

Reactions: davery87
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hidnflagn