DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone successfully using cheap android tablet with 1.2.4 Fly app

I found a 7 inch tablet on Amazon Called Dragon Touch; $60.00, works great. It is perfect for my use. There is a 10" version for a little more $$$.
I just ordered the 10". Thanks for the info.

I don't believe that tablet has a compass. Not required (my Lenovo M8 doesn't have a compass either) but for some people that is a deal breaker. As long as you maintain VLOS you shouldn't need the compass.

@Tufargon

In the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD test with the Mini2, I couldn't find any difference to flying with a smartphone with a compass. The home point is displayed in the same way, see screnn shot from the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD.

Which orientation do you think, can you please explain the difference in more detail?

Thanks and regardsScreenshot_2021-07-20-10-27-13-909.jpegScreenshot_2021-07-20-10-42-18-717.jpeg

I don't believe that tablet has a compass. Not required (my Lenovo M8 doesn't have a compass either) but for some people that is a deal breaker. As long as you maintain VLOS you shouldn't need the compass.
The Lenovo 10 does not have the compass point, but does still have the map in the lower left corner for orienting where the drone is in relation to homepoint.

Never had the compass on my phone, so it doesn't matter if I have it on the M10 either. If it's a deal breaker for some - then they can pay the extra $100 or more for a tablet that does offer it. I'm fine with mine.

@Tufargon

In the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD test with the Mini2, I couldn't find any difference to flying with a smartphone with a compass. The home point is displayed in the same way, see screnn shot from the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD.

Which orientation do you think, can you please explain the difference in more detail?

Thanks and regardsView attachment 132145View attachment 132146

@Tufargon

Thanks and regardsView attachment 132145View attachment 132146
The "compass" feature for those that need it - simply show the orientation of the drone to the RC as in pic #2. Pic 1 is the older map screen if your phone / tablet does not offer the compass view.

My Lenovo M10 does not offer the compass feature, nor did my Android phone - so I never had the compass to begin with and really don't need it. It may be nice on bright days when you can easily lose VLOS and the drone not be that far away - yet the map in pic #1 pretty much does the same thing - IMHO. I only use the map in lower left when I get "disoriented" and the drone is probably flying in and around trees and other obstacles so that I can lose sight of it. It's hard for me to fly, watch the drone, and watch my screen (at same time) for those bare branches and other things that pop out of nowhere when I'm flying. That little gray blob of a drone is easily lost in many of my flying settings - even when I look at the screen for a split second.

So, overall - depends on what you're used to using - compass or map. Need the compass, then you need a tablet that will offer it, which tends to be far more expensive than those that only offer the old map screen.

@ tlswift58,
Thanks for your info, picture # 1 & # 2 are from the Lenovo Tab M8, the view can be switched.

@Tufargon,
I already know the video but don't understand the language.

I still can't see any difference in the video to pictures # 1 and # 2, I can see the direction of the drone and the home point, so I can align the RC to the drone.

Thanks and regards

@ tlswift58,
Thanks for your info, picture # 1 & # 2 are from the Lenovo Tab M8, the view can be switched.

@Tufargon,

I still can't see any difference in the video to pictures # 1 and # 2, I can see the direction of the drone and the home point, so I can align the RC to the drone.

Thanks and regards
So, the M8 has the compass feature, but the M10 does not? How do you switch the view then?

@ tlswift58,

@Tufargon,

Thanks and regards
It tells you if you are facing the drone or not. So when you turn yourself you can face the drone. Helps if you lose track of the drone or lost it and need to know what direction you are facing compared to where it is. You'll also get better signal if you are facing the drone.

@ tlswift58,
tap on the display at the bottom left and the view will change.

@Tufargon,
And that's exactly what I can do with the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD without a compass, you just have to switch on the location. Unfortunately, I still can't tell the difference with and without a compass.

Thanks and regards

@ tlswift58,

@Tufargon,
And that's exactly what I can do with the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD without a compass, you just have to switch on the location. Unfortunately, I still can't tell the difference with and without a compass.

Thanks and regards
@Tufargon are you still successfully using the zenpad? Haven't flown for a while. TIA

Last edited:
@ tlswift58,

@Tufargon,

Thanks and regards
If it doesn't have a compass you can't see the direction you are facing holding the RC. It's the little blue arrow by the home point (RC location). Not the one in the middle (aircraft). Without the compass that blue arrow is randomnly pointing anywhere.

Last edited:
Here you go. I don't think some of you are understanding how a compass in your tablet/phone actually works with the fly app so this video should make it a little more understandable.

If it doesn't have a compass you can't see the direction you are facing holding the RC. It's the little blue arrow by the home point (RC location). Not the one in the middle (aircraft). Without the compass that blue arrow is randomnly pointing anywhere.
Now I understand what you mean.
I will look into that and come back to the subject.

greeting

Watch the video I just linked to above your post. That should explain better. Thumbswayup

Just joined the forum today. I've had my A2S for a few weeks now (1st drone) and started with an LG G6 but had to have a bigger screen. My neighbor gave me her iPads Mini2, Mini4, and Pro 12.9 to try. I got her iPhone and Pro 12.9 to run Fly 1.4.8 trouble free, but had a lot of trouble with it on both Mini's (CPU overload error causing screen freezing). I've always been a PC/Android devotee, so I gave the Lenovo M10 FHD Plus a shot. (yes I know there's no compass, which I don't need). Delivered Monday and flew it twice yesterday. Morning rain cut 1st flight short but took a bunch of stills, shot 2 videos in the evening. I'm running 1.4.2 right now and I'm hesitant to allow an upgrade to 1.4.8 after the negative experience with the iPads.

I joined the forum this morning to research opinions on control stick modes and length, but thought should check for Android tablet experiences also while here. So my 2 cents - Lenovo M10+ working fine. I'll post further experiences (positive or negative) if relevant. If I had come here first I might have considered that Dragon Touch 10, it has 3GB ram for $10 than the Lenovo with 2. I might recommend it to my neighbor if I can drag her away from the other platform.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive