DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone successfully using cheap android tablet with 1.2.4 Fly app

Why have 2 when you can have 1
It won't get dropped, stolen, infected with virus or malware or bloated with unnecessary apps and be right where I need it when I want it.

Why do I have several motorcycles, or snowmobiles, or vehicles? Because I can! lol

Reactions: Tufargon
Honor 10 Lite. An excellent inexpensive smartphone. We each have one. Tech reviews considered it to be one of the two best in its price range.

Reactions: gufferr
When it comes to an expensive drone why do some people want to go cheap.

When it comes to an expensive drone why do some people want to go cheap.
Why spend 5 or 6 hundred dollars when a hundred dollar tablet works just fine?

Here's a better question/statement, why do people care what others are using when it matters not to them.

The compatibility list is BLah
just got my tablet and mini 2 last night done all the updating of the tablet downloaded app from dji.com and just came in from a test flight to get use

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR​

to controls no problems at all with this tablet from amazon, hope it helps.

According to a search I just did, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A does not have a built in compass. Hopefully anyone suggesting a device will include what is NOT functional so that it's not a surprise when someone buys it to use with the Fly app.

According to a search I just did, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A does not have a built in compass. Hopefully anyone suggesting a device will include what is NOT functional so that it's not a surprise when someone buys it to use with the Fly app.
why do you need a compass when it has gps ?

why do you need a compass when it has gps ?
It gives you directional orientation of you and the drone.
Edit. Start the video at the 10:17 mark. It will give you a better idea on how it works.

Last edited:
Edit. Start the video at the 10:17 mark. It will give you a better idea on how it works.
So is it important to have a compass on the tablet?? or will the fail safe rth still work with loss of signal and no compass on the tablet ??

Compass not needed as long as you never lose sight of the drone. You can always use the map in the fly app to see where you are in relation to the drone... but without a compass you won't know where the drone is in relation to the direction that you are facing.

Compass has no bearing on failsafe or RTH.

Got a Zenpad z8s as per your recommendation. Works great. I added a 128GB SD card to compensate for the small amount of memory. I like the feature which integrates the memory as internal memory. Haven't flown with it yet (crappy/cold weather) but have ground-tested features and all looks good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Got a Zenpad z8s as per your recommendation. Works great. I added a 128GB SD card to compensate for the small amount of memory. I like the feature which integrates the memory as internal memory. Haven't flown with it yet (crappy/cold weather) but have ground-tested features and all looks good. Thanks for the recommendation!
Absolutely, glad to help!! Thumbswayup

You can only get the GPS if you pay £100 extra for the cellular version so I was wondering if you actually need gps on your device
Here's a thread about it.

Here's a thread about it.
Thanks for that, I have read the post

Ended up getting a Samsung S5e WiFi and I can hotshot my phone if I need any map data. Its working fine but need a longer type c lead. It seems to have all the spec and shipped with android 10

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos