DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using the new carbon fiber props?

RC_Powerz

Reactions
Hello everyone, just a quick question, is anyone using the carbon fiber props that have been available on ebay for the mavic air?

Mine just came in and I balanced them up and first flight I am noticing major radio interference on both bands and it is definitely the props, put the original props back on and it is gone. Its so bad range is less than 20 feet and there is signal loss and its such a shame because they perform wonderfully. I did notice the motors being a little hotter and that was expected with them being heavier than usual but the stiff blades do make a nice noticeable difference in flight but I'm just curious if anyone else had the same results of major radio interference issues? All I can figure is it's the weird way they affixed the mount to the prop itself using two metal screws into a metal rivets, see attached picture for mount. Unfortunately the rivets that the screws are turned into are really in that mount so I dont think I'd be able to remove all the metal and use some good epoxy.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Not control loss, just WIFI signal loss and very poor video transmission but still have control, it appears the GPS is working fine. I have the 4 hawks SR antenna on it too but I don't see that contributing to this issue because as soon as you put some plastic props back on all is completely normal. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of ordering, wait until there is another method for affixing the mount to the blade.

Last edited:
No, because carbon props are a waste on these drones. I have yet to see a single set that were equivalent to the stock props, let alone lighter. In fact, every one I've seen has been heavier, and that means you get reduced flight time. Also, I highly doubt you truly noticed a difference, and a blind test would probably show this, too. All of the limitations of the drone are electronic, so the props are going to produce negligible results until you modify the parameters. These drones are capable of 2-3x the ascent rates that you normally see, but that can mean premature failure and instability that could cause a crash.
Also, the QC on most of them are shoddy at best, and they introduce points of failure by cheaping out with things like screws.

Reactions: MavicMo
No, because carbon props are a waste on these drones. I have yet to see a single set that were equivalent to the stock props, let alone lighter. In fact, every one I've seen has been heavier, and that means you get reduced flight time. Also, I highly doubt you truly noticed a difference, and a blind test would probably show this, too. All of the limitations of the drone are electronic, so the props are going to produce negligible results until you modify the parameters. These drones are capable of 2-3x the ascent rates that you normally see, but that can mean premature failure and instability that could cause a crash.
Also, the QC on most of them are shoddy at best, and they introduce points of failure by cheaping out with things like screws.

What other carbon fiber props have you seen for this bird? Can you point me to them because as far as I can tell these are the only type currently on the market. Carbon fiber props arent really supposed to be lighter, they are meant to be firmer. Yes, one can absolutely notice the difference, its pretty much night and day compared to the very flexible paper thin plastic props that come with the bird. No more max motor issues with the firmer props.

Last edited:
Reactions: LKJ and Espy
I Never use CF props on my quads, too rigid, I like the give to the regular ones, Easier on the motors, and battery in my opinion. No data to back that statement up. Simply what i have observed from others who tried CF props, and quickly changed back after weird things were happening with them on. I had a friend with a P3P and with CF props on his quad struggled to perform correctly, lots of electrical sorts of issues, such as gimbal, gps to atti mode changes, ESC warnings. Put the stock props on and it all went away. That was enough to deter me.

Carbon fiber conducts electricity. I wonder if they are inducing some sort of current when they spin which affects your WiFi connection.

I have always used carbon props on my birds until the Mavic Pro and air. The stock props are spot on and at this size I doubt any really gains could be had

Hello everyone, just a quick question, is anyone using the carbon fiber props that have been available on ebay for the mavic air?

Mine just came in and I balanced them up and first flight I am noticing major radio interference on both bands and it is definitely the props, put the original props back on and it is gone. Its so bad range is less than 20 feet and there is signal loss and its such a shame because they perform wonderfully. I did notice the motors being a little hotter and that was expected with them being heavier than usual but the stiff blades do make a nice noticeable difference in flight but I'm just curious if anyone else had the same results of major radio interference issues? All I can figure is it's the weird way they affixed the mount to the prop itself using two metal screws into a metal rivets, see attached picture for mount. Unfortunately the rivets that the screws are turned into are really in that mount so I don't think I'd be able to remove all the metal and use some good epoxy.

Good Morning:
I would like to do a study on your Carbon Fiber "interference" situation.
I have equipment that can pin point and show interference being generated by the DJI and other electronic equipment.

See my study on P3P & P4 signals at the link below.
Always Airplane Mode

My guess is that the spinning carbon fiber props are generating EMI, Electro_Magnetic_Interference in the frequency spectrum being used by the Controller and Drone. Will you please give me the source information to purchase a set of the props? I want to make sure I have the same props that you are using. Or if you want, I will purchase the ones you have to do the study, from you.

I have been planning on doing a study of the Mavic Air signals, as I know they will be very different from the P3P/P4 study that I did a year or so back. Being that the MA uses WiFi for communications, I believe there is probably a high incidence of interference between our Cell Phones, and Tablets, as well as local WiFi communications from a wide range of devices.
Thanks,
GR

Reactions: William Ball
Carbon fiber conducts electricity. I wonder if they are inducing some sort of current when they spin which affects your WiFi connection.

This is what I am thinking in combination with the metal screws it looks like the little rivets they are turned into are made of copper or brass and that probobly contributes to some funky electrical things happening having that spinning right above the motors.

I'm definitely not using them anymore, it was just one of them $10 things you gamble on, no huge deal but man, it looks like they have been selling like hot cakes on ebay, gonna be lots of disappointed people.

Good Morning:
I would like to do a study on your Carbon Fiber "interference" situation.
I have equipment that can pin point and show interference being generated by the DJI and other electronic equipment.

See my study on P3P & P4 signals at the link below.
Always Airplane Mode

My guess is that the spinning carbon fiber props are generating EMI, Electro_Magnetic_Interference in the frequency spectrum being used by the Controller and Drone. Will you please give me the source information to purchase a set of the props? I want to make sure I have the same props that you are using. Or if you want, I will purchase the ones you have to do the study, from you.

I have been planning on doing a study of the Mavic Air signals, as I know they will be very different from the P3P/P4 study that I did a year or so back. Being that the MA uses WiFi for communications, I believe there is probably a high incidence of interference between our Cell Phones, and Tablets, as well as local WiFi communications from a wide range of devices.
Thanks,
GR

Sure, I pmed you that info. Just let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Mine just came in and I balanced them up and first flight I am noticing major radio interference on both bands and it is definitely the props, put the original props back on and it is gone. Its so bad range is less than 20 feet and there is signal loss and its such a shame because they perform wonderfully. I did notice the motors being a little hotter and that was expected with them being heavier than usual but the stiff blades do make a nice noticeable difference in flight but I'm just curious if anyone else had the same results of major radio interference issues? All I can figure is it's the weird way they affixed the mount to the prop itself using two metal screws into a metal rivets, see attached picture for mount. Unfortunately the rivets that the screws are turned into are really in that mount so I dont think I'd be able to remove all the metal and use some good epoxy.

Same situation here on my MA, but with slightly different props. I was trying out the props from a Spark and decided to grab a set of carbon fiber ones to see if the extra stiffness might compensate for the shorter props.

As soon as it got to hover height the video started flickering and errors were popping up every few seconds. At about 10 feet away it totally cut.

Swapped back and forth between original props, non-cf Spark and the cf Spark props and it was pretty clear something was up with the carbon fiber set.

Even tried a higher quality (well ok, 3x more $) set of cf props a friend had on his Spark. Same effect.

No effect on flight controls. Just loss of video. I also noticed in the wifi status screen that all channels were at 0. Not one channel was activate.

Striking cf props for the Air off my list.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike, it sounds like you are making my case for CF Props creating their own EMI Field!
I just got a set to do some testing with. I think I will be able to clearly determine what is happening as soon as I get a series of tests done in my home electronics shop. I will be looking at both the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands with my spectrum analyzer under a lot of different conditions. Hopefully will have the report ready to post in the next week or so.

I can verify the loss of video using CF props. Mine came in today (yes, ebay) and I was happy with how much quieter they were but as soon as it got 6' off the ground the video was completely lost. Another lesson learned.

Glad to hear a quieter propeller is possible too bad it can't fly more than 6 ft off the ground! Can't wait to see a reliable option.

I finally got around to firing up the spectrum analyzer and looking at the signals from the Mavic Air and its Controller. The good news is that the props are causing EMI. (Electro Magnetic Interference) I don't find any kind of a see able interference signal being generated by the change of props! So that idea is completely out of consideration.

All these tests were done with the drone about 10' away from the controller, and I simply pulled both sticks to the start position to get the motors running. It was not necessary to fly the drone to create the problems as described below.

I have both Litchi and DJI Go4 on my Apple Air2 tablet.
When using DJI Go4, with the Carbon Fiber (CF) props, I started getting immediate signal interference warnings and the video was being interrupted much of the time. And that was at idle, setting about 10' away from the controller on a chair.

When using Litchi, with exactly the same setup, there was not any interference warnings and the video feed was solid, no interruptions at all!

Reinstalling the standard DJI props, that came with the Mavic Air, there was absolutely no interference running either DJI Go4 or Litchi.

All the tests were done with the Mavic Air about 10 feet from the controller, which was setting on my test bench.

Now for something interesting. Looking at the way the props overlap the body of the Drone, I removed the two rear props from the drone, and did the tests again. No matter how close, or even parking it about 40 feet away there was absolutely no interference with either program!

Now I am wondering if the conductive carbon fiber props are in some way shielding the rear area of the drone, causing it to interrupt the signals to and from the drone. I don't know where the various sub assemblies are located within the Mavic Air, but removing the two rear props sure stopped the Signal Interference and Video breakup. When I put the two rear props back on, and started it up again, I immediately got an interference warning and video breakup on the screen.

During the testing process, I also turned blue tooth and WiFi on and off on both my Galaxy S8 phone, in my picket, as well as doing the same on the iPad Air2. Watching the spectrum analyzer, both caused some interference, making the WiFi change frequency slots, after a quick signal interruption.

The worst interference was caused by BlueTooth! Its search and polling signal really does cause a lot of interference within the 2.4 GHz WiFi channels. Switching to the 5 GHz WiFi band, took that problem away.

My end conclusion is that there are three things you need to consider when flying the Mavic Air.!
1. Under no conditions should you use any kind of Carbon Fiber Props
2. Always put your controller Tablet/Phone in Airplane Mode.
3. Always put the cellphone in your pocket in Airplane Mode as well, or leave it behind when you are out flying the Mavic Air.

I wish that I could come to a more positive conclusion, but at least I have determined that there is not any EMI being generated by the CF Props, which was my original thinking.

Today I fitted carbon fibre props to my MA and just after takeoff it said no signal (20' above my head).

It only occurred to me afterwards that perhaps they interfear with signals and thus did a Google search.

So I guess they will have to go.

I have them on my Karma and that has range issues also so I will switch that back to standard props also.

Bought a second hand Mavic Air after my first one was taken out by a magpie (australian bird, they attack everything in spring). New drone came with a set of CF props, thought "hey they look cool" - I was having the same signal loss problems and thought i might have bought a dud drone. long story short, after pulling it apart to check connections, restoring factory defaults and even trying some parameter hacks I put the stock props on it after misplacing a CF one, and hey presto.

All interference issues gone. i want a refund on my last 7 hours of life.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum