DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

APAS question

john2k

Reactions
So the MA has Obstacle avoidance sensors on the front, back and bottom. Not sides and top. So with the APAS system turned on apparently it can move side ways or upwards to avoid an obstacle it sees instead of just stopping. So question is, lets say you are in Active Track mode, it's following you and there is a tree. It needs to make a decision as to whether it will go up, left or right before continuing. But seeing as it cannot see or detect obstacles on top or the sides how does it know which way to turn? if i decides to try and go over the tree there might be a branch sticking out.

I assume it can sense clear space left and right to a certain degree within the horizontal field of view of the front sensor.
As it gets closer it should then be able to calculate how much lateral movement is allowed without collisions based on the previous measurements.

So the theory on how this works is the cameras help to build a 3D model of the environment based on what it can see. It’s then when it decides to go up or around based on the object. I flew it yesterday right at my head and as it flew past using AAPS it moved very slowly as it was scanning ahead to make sure the path was clear behind me. Because it’s already looked at the path it knows how far to the side it can safely go despite no side sensors. Try it yourself and you’ll see.

Reactions: john2k
So the theory on how this works is the cameras help to build a 3D model of the environment based on what it can see. It’s then when it decides to go up or around based on the object. I flew it yesterday right at my head and as it flew past using AAPS it moved very slowly as it was scanning ahead to make sure the path was clear behind me. Because it’s already looked at the path it knows how far to the side it can safely go despite no side sensors. Try it yourself and you’ll see.

That makes good sense, so what would be in the drones side and top view would have at some point been in its front view camera. It's amazing to think how quickly it can do 3d modelling and make these decisions so fast. Will try it out this weekend. Unfortunately i live in the city so it's hard to just randomly go out for a flight lol, i have to plan to go somewhere open

That makes good sense, so what would be in the drones side and top view would have at some point been in its front view camera. It's amazing to think how quickly it can do 3d modelling and make these decisions so fast. Will try it out this weekend. Unfortunately i live in the city so it's hard to just randomly go out for a flight lol, i have to plan to go somewhere open
The bit about 'flying straight at his head' doesn't make so much sense though! LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zloalex