DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App that allows pre-programmed flights around flight controller GPS location

ChrisOutdoors

Reactions
Anyone KNOW of any automation apps that allow for a preprogrammed flight around the controller location VS the "HOMEPOINT".

I'm looking to create a series of preprogrammed flights/camera angles while fishing offshore and with the boat constantly moving direction due to wind/current I need for the automated flights to look and move around the controller GPS location and update the location as it moves.

I have litchi and dronedeploy but these do not do what I need.

The app also needs to work offline, I'm usually 20-80 miles offshore.

Thanks!

Anyone KNOW of any automation apps that allow for a preprogrammed flight around the controller location VS the "HOMEPOINT".
There's nothing that I'm aware of to run pre-programmed flights around a dynamic homepoint.
The next best thing would be active track for non-programmed flight.

Reactions: AZDave
While not being preprogrammed Quickshots may work for you since you will just be drifting with the wind and currents. Seen YouTube videos that Quickshots can stay targeted if the target is moving slowly.

Tracking the boat isn't difficult, although the drone won't change camera angles on its own.

I realize that isn't what you want, though. What you want is to preprogram maneuvers around the controller, and that would require the drone to follow the GPS located in whatever hardware you use with the controller instead of the GPS in the drone. I don't know of any app that would do that ... although I suspect that one of the third party control app developers could incorporate something like that if they wanted to. Just make function calls to the GPS in the phone/tablet, send the coordinates to the drone as if it was a new home point..

Thanks guys I'm familiar with active track but that's not an option as it's only good for holding the shot, I need the drone to automatically fly around the boat and grab different angles. I need to be able to trust the drone to do it's thing while I'm driving the boat or helping out the passengers.

Perhaps an option is for the app to engage active track and then begin the flight maneuvers?

Thanks guys I'm familiar with active track but that's not an option as it's only good for holding the shot, I need the drone to automatically fly around the boat and grab different angles. I need to be able to trust the drone to do it's thing while I'm driving the boat or helping out the passengers.

Perhaps an option is for the app to engage active track and then begin the flight maneuvers?

I don't think that would work. As best I know, pre-programmed flight maneuvers in any third party app are defined by GPS coordinates. And active track works by visually tracking an object on the display, but either holds the drone position a fixed relationship to the object or simply keeps the camera pointed to the object while you manually fly the drone. I don't think any app pre-programs maneuvers relative to an active track object, but I could be wrong about that.

I’d look at DroneLink. AutoPilot can definitely do this but it doesn’t work on newer drones starting with the Mavic 2 but DroneLink does a lot of the same stuff

I’d look at DroneLink. AutoPilot can definitely do this but it doesn’t work on newer drones starting with the Mavic 2 but DroneLink does a lot of the same stuff
I believe DroneLink doesn't work outside of cell connectivity, my main gripe with it. Never heard of autopilot, I'll take a peek as I'm using the MPP (hacked thanks to you buddy!)

What's the link for the autopilot software you're recommending?

I believe DroneLink doesn't work outside of cell connectivity, my main gripe with it. Never heard of autopilot, I'll take a peek as I'm using the MPP (hacked thanks to you buddy!)

What's the link for the autopilot software you're recommending?
Are you sure you can’t download missions for DroneLink? You probably can’t create missions outside of cell service but I would think you’d have to be able to run missions locally. I could be wrong I haven’t used it in awhile.

Looking at AutoPilot again I’m pretty sure you could set it to work like you want using the operator’s location as the center of an orbit mission or follow mission but I have no idea how well it works and it looks like they have taken down the website that has the manual for it so I don’t know if this is really the way to go. It’s a complicated app and it works and feels very different than other apps. It’s hard to get the hang of WITH the manual so I don’t know if I can really recommend it for this but it’s a cool app and if you are ok when spending the money to experiment then there’s other stuff it does no other app will do too.

Here’s the link to autopilot.

If you are using the MPP can you not make the drone orbit in active track mode? Then set the camera to interval?

Are you sure you can’t download missions for DroneLink? You probably can’t create missions outside of cell service but I would think you’d have to be able to run missions locally. I could be wrong I haven’t used it in awhile.

Looking at AutoPilot again I’m pretty sure you could set it to work like you want using the operator’s location as the center of an orbit mission or follow mission but I have no idea how well it works and it looks like they have taken down the website that has the manual for it so I don’t know if this is really the way to go. It’s a complicated app and it works and feels very different than other apps. It’s hard to get the hang of WITH the manual so I don’t know if I can really recommend it for this but it’s a cool app and if you are ok when spending the money to experiment then there’s other stuff it does no other app will do too.

Here’s the link to autopilot.

If you are using the MPP can you not make the drone orbit in active track mode? Then set the camera to interval?

Thanks, I'll poke around and see what I can figure out. Yeah, I could do that but that doesn't give me multiple angles and different distances. I'd like to be able to set and forget while I assist with fishing/boat operating. And before anyone reads this and loses their mind, I'm out 20-80 miles offshore.

Works great how, can it do what I'm describing? I looked up the Rainbow app and it has terrible reviews; please provide more info.
It may not do exactly what you want I haven't tried what you are doing. Only drone I have thats works with rainbow is my mini and with that I've done way points and had it following the controller. I got some bad weather rolling in if I get a chance in the next day or 2 I'll try and do exactly what you are looking at. The reviews look bad in my opinion because most people can't read I've had rainbow for about 6 months used pretty much every feature that works with the mini and still don't feel bad about the 15 bucks.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys