DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple getting sued for slowing iphones, lesson for DJI?

If you have been following the tech forums, some android phones have just quit working when their battery got old and couldn't hold the required power to run it. At least Apple was trying to make it's phone provide service longer. As far as I am concern, slow ifs better than not at all. And, I am not sure what is being "slowed down" I have an iPhone 6 and haven't noticed any difference in it's "speed", but then I am not a power user. And how do you know others haven't been doing this with their phones, just because they haven't admitted it doesn't mean it isn't happening. And, what makes this a crime.

apparently Apple execs can face jail time if convicted of this crime in some jurisdictions.
Interesting stuff, but what lesson do you think DJI should be learning from this?

Israelis take Apple to court for slowing iPhones in $125mn lawsuit as number of cases snowball Israelis take Apple to court for slowing iPhones in $125mn lawsuit as number of cases snowball

Apple is getting sued left and right for firmware updates slowing performance of iphones post sales.

Since DJI CEO often praise or at least seem to want to aspire to model after Apple business model,

what implications are there for or against DJI pushing firmware updates to gradually reduce the performance of its drones post-sales?
DJI could care less about being sued. Chinese company. Go ahead and good luck. If DJI cared, they would produce a product that doesn't have so many issues and their customer service would be much better.

FWIW, you can replace your battery for $29 under a special deal just authorized this past week. Do it if you want to hold onto your old phone but want a fast battery.

If you have been following the tech forums, some android phones have just quit working when their battery got old and couldn't hold the required power to run it. At least Apple was trying to make it's phone provide service longer. As far as I am concern, slow ifs better than not at all. And, I am not sure what is being "slowed down" I have an iPhone 6 and haven't noticed any difference in it's "speed", but then I am not a power user. And how do you know others haven't been doing this with their phones, just because they haven't admitted it doesn't mean it isn't happening. And, what makes this a crime.

When my Android phone’s battery stared slowing down I replaced it for $10. The phone is going on 4 years old now and runs like new.

The reason Apple is in trouble is that they were hobbling their phones so that people would buy new phones, rather than let people know that replacing the battery for $79 would have them running good as new.

Reactions: Dw911
Apple has released a statement on their website about why they did it. I understand where they are coming from. They weren't up front, cos most people don't care about batteries and degradation and all the technical jargon. Most people just want their phone to work, so reducing performance behind the scenes was better, as opposed to letting it run at full CPU and their phone suddenly shutting down. Apple figured the latter wasn't going to give their users a good experience with their product.
I've read somewhere, someone used the GeekBench data to compare some Samsung phones, and they also reduce performance. Apple was chosen, cos they are the biggest with big bank acc. They are getting sues left/right/centre, cos lawyers need to eat too, and pay the mortgage on their McMansions and fancy cars.
And Apple doesn't really want their users to replace their batteries themselves with cheap ones that could catch fire. Apple has got good warranty, so when your iPhone fails within 1 or 2 years, they fix or replace with refurbished ones, like DJI. If you use knock-off batteries and your Mavic crashes, returning your Mavic on Care Refresh with the knock-off battery, and DJI won't honor it. But since you can swap out your Mavic batteries, DJI might not know. Apple doesn't want that risk, so they dont let users easily swap batteries on their iPhones.
As for DJI, would you like software to reduce the max speed of your Mavic when battery degradation is detected, or just let it drop out of they sky when you turn on sports mode?

Reactions: superdave5050
Glad never bought any APPLE products. This is not the first time that Apple purposely sent out updates to slow down performance on there phones / tabs. So whats new for Apple and oh dont be surpise Apple already bought off DJi. So when that happens all Dji Drones are in shambles. Just my .02

Apple has released a statement on their website about why they did it. I understand where they are coming from. They weren't up front, cos most people don't care about batteries and degradation and all the technical jargon. Most people just want their phone to work, so reducing performance behind the scenes was better, as opposed to letting it run at full CPU and their phone suddenly shutting down. Apple figured the latter wasn't going to give their users a good experience with their product.
I've read somewhere, someone used the GeekBench data to compare some Samsung phones, and they also reduce performance. Apple was chosen, cos they are the biggest with big bank acc. They are getting sues left/right/centre, cos lawyers need to eat too, and pay the mortgage on their McMansions and fancy cars.
And Apple doesn't really want their users to replace their batteries themselves with cheap ones that could catch fire. Apple has got good warranty, so when your iPhone fails within 1 or 2 years, they fix or replace with refurbished ones, like DJI. If you use knock-off batteries and your Mavic crashes, returning your Mavic on Care Refresh with the knock-off battery, and DJI won't honor it. But since you can swap out your Mavic batteries, DJI might not know. Apple doesn't want that risk, so they dont let users easily swap batteries on their iPhones.
As for DJI, would you like software to reduce the max speed of your Mavic when battery degradation is detected, or just let it drop out of they sky when you turn on sports mode?

Spoken like someone who has drunk the Apple Kool-Aid.

There are plenty of quality replacement batteries on the market. They probably come from the same supplier Apple buys from. And even if you don’t use a third-party battery it’s easy enough to walk into an Apple Store and have your battery replaced while you wait.

What Apple did was conceal the fact that all your phone needed was a new battery, instead driving owners to buy new $650 phones.

And you’ll have to provide a link on that Samsung story, because I can’t find anyone making that accusation. Several makers, including Samsung, are saying they don’t slow older phones. It would be a big problem for them if they’re caught lying: Samsung and LG say they do not slow down older phones

Last edited:
Reactions: Dw911
Spoken like someone who has drunk the Apple Kool-Aid.
Spoken like an Apple-hater.
Just because I understand the logic behind Apple's decision, it did not mean I totally agree with what they did, and no point in name calling (look what you made me do :p). I do find they over-did the slowdown, and causing apps to crash.
Unless Apple explicitly recommends users to upgrade, then they are liable. Most people just assume they need to upgrade when they feel their device is slow.

Back on topic.. what should DJI do? I guess the Mavic Pro is still fairly new (< 2 years). I've only had mine for a bit over 5 weeks. How do users with older batteries know when to chuck out their old ones and get replacements? Does DJI Go 4 app give battery warning? Or let it fall out of the sky when the battery couldn't give enough juice when flying against heaving wind?

I gave up on Apple several years ago. Everything they do is proprietary and prices are ridiculously. That being said, DJI builds great drones, and packaging is very good, and this where they should stop trying to be Apple. I agree DJI software updates are alpha, or barely beta. They are responsible for crashing many drones and fly aways. if DJI doesn't fix the update issues, they will decline. It's just a matter of time before some manufacturer in China builds a better moustrap.

I've been involved with several forums and have since learned "Jobs Law" which states that all forums, no matter what the basis of said forum, will inevitably devolve into a Mac vs Windows or iOS vs Android argument.

It’s not just Apple doing this Microsoft got in trouble for doing the same thing to Windows XP years ago! I have a Motorola Moto X that the same thing happened to! They don’t want me to hold onto to old phone! (I actually have 3 Moto Xs in my household they all got real slow after several carrier updates!) it’s not a fair way to do Business but big corporations are greedy and want $$ as fast as they can get people to spend it! My Nexus 5x has slowed down since it was new! I’m sure my New IPad will do the same thing! The only thing I own that hasn’t slowed is a White Box PC I Built! The manufacturers don’t have control over it they way I do since it’s my design not a big corporation!

Israelis take Apple to court for slowing iPhones in $125mn lawsuit as number of cases snowball Israelis take Apple to court for slowing iPhones in $125mn lawsuit as number of cases snowball

Apple is getting sued left and right for firmware updates slowing performance of iphones post sales.

Since DJI CEO often praise or at least seem to want to aspire to model after Apple business model,

what implications are there for or against DJI pushing firmware updates to gradually reduce the performance of its drones post-sales?
why would anyone think that DJI would care about anything but money. They are producing a flawed product now and don't care. They have one of the worst customer service departments and quality control departments any company could have and they don't care. good luck suing a Chinese company.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne