DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple Mini 4 or DJI Smart controller

+1 for the Smart controller.

It's much brighter than the brightest iPad, which makes a huge difference IMO. It's also much more compact, has HDMI out, micro SD slot, much better temperature resistance, etc.

Anyone worried about the Android OS based on unrelated experiences shouldn't be - it was specifically chosen for it's flexibility and stability, and it is a custom version designed to run the Go4 app and not much else. It's very fast/responsive and I have not seen so much as a stutter in all my time using it. You can easily see the screen in full sunlight as well. Anecdotally speaking, the only issues I have ever had flying DJI drones have been with iOS devices - that doesn't mean much, but it's an equal data point. Also consider that the VW/Audi group chose Android to underpin the infotainment in all of their new cars, where reliability, customization and speed are the top priorities - helps put things in perspective :)

Reactions: WAXMAN and SandiSCE
Wow! What kind of range do you get with those antennas?
First of all, I'm not an expert on antennas and signal amplification. I live out in the country, in a densely forested area near Lake Michigan, Sleeping Bear Dunes area. The trees next to my house are at least 60 to 70 ft tall, and I've experienced significant attenuation of my signal when I flew at a distance of one mile. So I did the Titan modification (antennas only, no amplifier ) to see if I could improve my distance. I did some brief non-scientific tests before and after the mod. Although I can't quantify the actual improvement in distance, I do know it is better. Now, In spite of the trees, I can fly over to Platte Bay on Lake Michigan from my house which is about 2.5 miles away. I have flown from an observation hill over to the lake with a direct line of sight to the MPP at a distance of 3.5 miles. However, instead of a poor signal, the battery becomes the limiting factor. The amount of the signal attenuation varies with atmospheric conditions, humidity and such, and my efforts to maintain LOS.

I did the mod myself by following Titan's YouTube videos. I have both the large antennas (in picture) and the smaller antennas sold by Titan. I use the big ones when I want to fly far and get shots of Platte Bay, and the smaller ones when I'm just around my house.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Thanks for the info! I was curious because I also have high trees around my house and have been considering antenna boosters.

Thanks for the info! I was curious because I also have high trees around my house and have been considering antenna boosters.

The reasons I didn’t get the Titan amplifier is I didn’t want all that mass on my RC, I heard it is directional, and I didn’t want to spend the money. And I don’t think I need it. The antennas are good enough. However, later I can always add the booster to the existing connections.

I flew using a 9.7 ipad on a Mavmount today in bright sun without a visor and it was awesome (as compared to flying with an Iphone). I can't imagine the controller being much better but then I don't know, as I've never had the opportunity to see one in person.

There is a lot of YouTube reviews who give the DJI controller 2 thumbs down. Is it that bad?

I use both an iPad Mini4, and an SC and I can say imo, the SC is an easier setup than the Mini.
To each their own, but I like the convenience. Do I think it’s over-priced? Yup.

Hi...Is the Mini 5 markedly better than the 4? If so, how so? thanks
Still trying to figure that out. As of now, and I’ve probably got about an hour of fly time with it, nothing is jumping out at me. I am convinced that the faster processor helps, but still watching. Not noticeably brighter even though it lists a 10% change from the mini4. I used the mini4 for over two years and was very happy. Not really disappointed that the mini4 hasn’t sold.

Still trying to figure that out. As of now, and I’ve probably got about an hour of fly time with it, nothing is jumping out at me. I am convinced that the faster processor helps, but still watching. Not noticeably brighter even though it lists a 10% change from the mini4. I used the mini4 for over two years and was very happy. Not really disappointed that the mini4 hasn’t sold.
Thank you Starz, your review helps. If, in time, you discover must have reasons, please post

Regards

I mean if you have the money get the smart controller if not don't get the mini 4 it's a little underpowered these days.... I actually just picked up an iPad 9.7 in 2018 model with the A10... it does have and do everything that I need I can even edit 4K in lumafusion on the iPad with no problems I just wish the screen was a little brighter.... but for 279$ ( sale price at the time) couldn't beat it

Reactions: GH02050
I’ve tried the 9.7 and decided that it was much more screen than was necessary. Many will disagree. We all have our thoughts on what works best. Mostly boils down to a dollar issue I think.

I use a Ipad Mini 4 and love it, it is WiFi only NO DATA SERVICE, and works great. I would use a iPad mini 4 over the controller due to it is a lot bigger screen and way easier to use. This way you have a multi-tool rather than just a controller.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
I actually just picked up an iPad 9.7 in 2018 model with the A10... it does have and do everything that I need I can even edit 4K in lumafusion on the iPad with no problems
I don't want to derail the thread but if you did go with and Ipad (A10), Lumafusion is a pretty dam powerful, quick and easy video editor for a $20 app. Thank you Mike4884 for mentioning it, I had never heard of it before.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
I have a Smart Controller for my M2P, and an iPad Pro for my Inspire1. Whenever I think about flying the Inspire, it seems like too much hassle compared to the Mavic. I wish the SC had a larger screen, and that DJI used a larger font in places, but the simplicity and convenience of it can’t be beat. If the entire rig was stolen, for example, I’d buy the same setup tomorrow.

Reactions: Greenflash
I have a Smart Controller for my M2P, and an iPad Pro for my Inspire1. Whenever I think about flying the Inspire, it seems like too much hassle compared to the Mavic. I wish the SC had a larger screen, and that DJI used a larger font in places, but the simplicity and convenience of it can’t be beat. If the entire rig was stolen, for example, I’d buy the same setup tomorrow.
OK, I wouldn’t wait until tomorrow...

I use a Ipad Mini 4 and love it, it is WiFi only NO DATA SERVICE, and works great. I would use a iPad mini 4 over the controller due to it is a lot bigger screen and way easier to use. This way you have a multi-tool rather than just a controller.

Even though I have an ipad pro 10.5" that I fly with on my Mavic Pro I find it cumbersome using the mount & bracket that puts it above the RC display screen. I just ordered an ipad mini 4 to dedicate full time and slide right into the arms of the RC. I like this idea better than the bigger 10.5" mount and any smaller iphone that's harder to see and could interrupt my flight if I forget to put it in airplane mode when I fly. I also bought a unique 180 degree lightning to usb cable that doesn't stick out on the side to connect to the RC. I do not own the Smart Controller.
02557BF0-B160-4883-872D-D46F60A2F5CA.jpeg

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_