DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Appropriate to share?

Reactions
I’m back from my short trip to Lennox Heads in NSW. Took both drones with me. I went to fly outside the approach/departure zone in DJI mapping but the app still wouldn’t let me launch. I was able to fly my other (non-DJI drone). My question: is it appropriate to post a link to the footage I recorded on this forum. I won’t be offended if no.

The fly safe database isn't always correct but it's the pilots responsibility to verify the airspace especially with a drone that doesn't enforce it. Depending on the region there may be other apps to confirm the airspace and even request authorization to fly in that.

Basically, just because the non dji Drone could take off, doesn't mean it was ok to do so.

Only thing I can find for the location you mentioned in OpenSky app is that there's no nighttime flying allowed. There may be other restrictions as to why the dji side grounded you but that's the only one I found without knowing what the official app is for Australia.

The other thing to make sure to do is to keep the flysafe database updated as tiles and restrictions can change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
Footage is footage irrespective of the drone that took it.
Unless there is something in the footage that identifies the drone and providing you don't mention which drone was used, how is anyone to know which drone shot the footage? I haven't seen EXIF data attached to any video on here.

The fly safe database isn't always correct but it's the pilots responsibility to verify the airspace especially with a drone that doesn't enforce it. Depending on the region there may be other apps to confirm the airspace and even request authorization to fly in that.

Basically, just because the non dji Drone could take off, doesn't mean it was ok to do so.

Only thing I can find for the location you mentioned in OpenSky app is that there's no nighttime flying allowed. There may be other restrictions as to why the dji side grounded you but that's the only one I found without knowing what the official app is for Australia.

The other thing to make sure to do is to keep the flysafe database updated as tiles and restrictions can change.
I was catching sunrise - regional airport with no flights at that time. Made the relevant checks.

Reactions: karlblessing
Yeah, DJI Geo zones restrict way more than CASA sometimes, especially around regional (uncontrolled) airports.
They fail totally to recognise that our small uncontrolled airports are ok to fly anywhere, using the warning info on the CASA apps, which is 'stay clear of approach / departure paths' and 'safely land if aircraft are operating'.

But . . . even though the Geo map can be a bit over zealous, even that doesn't show a problem flying from Pat Morton lookout there, where the hang gliders take off from.
I imagine that's where you were flying from, as there is little other parking along the cliff tops there from memory.

DJI_Geo_Lennox_Head.jpg

google_Lennox.jpg

Note, you can unlock those DJI Geo zone areas using the process via the DJI app (Go4 and I assume Fly).

Unlocking DJI No-Fly Zones | Drone Data Processing

I posted this in a thread back in April here too .. .. ..

Yeah, DJI Geo zones restrict way more than CASA sometimes, especially around regional (uncontrolled) airports.
They fail totally to recognise that our small uncontrolled airports are ok to fly anywhere, using the warning info on the CASA apps, which is 'stay clear of approach / departure paths' and 'safely land if aircraft are operating'.

But . . . even though the Geo map can be a bit over zealous, even that doesn't show a problem flying from Pat Morton lookout there, where the hang gliders take off from.
I imagine that's where you were flying from, as there is little other parking along the cliff tops there from memory.

View attachment 155447

View attachment 155448

Note, you can unlock those DJI Geo zone areas using the process via the DJI app (Go4 and I assume Fly).

Unlocking DJI No-Fly Zones | Drone Data Processing

I posted this in a thread back in April here too .. .. ..

I parked and walked up the hill and was on the southern side (if looking closely on the video, I'm in the grey shirt on the edge). The phone I use to fly is a pre-loved phone (no SIM), so once I'm on site, I can't get the 'permission'. When I checked the day before, I was in a clear fly space - just didn't work out that way when I arrived on site. 😢

I parked and walked up the hill and was on the southern side (if looking closely on the video, I'm in the grey shirt on the edge). The phone I use to fly is a pre-loved phone (no SIM), so once I'm on site, I can't get the 'permission'. When I checked the day before, I was in a clear fly space - just didn't work out that way when I arrived on site. 😢

Ah, just saw the video :)

Yes, if you think the Goe map does restrict you, the unlock can be done from home for whatever period you want to fly, useful for something 'special' you really want to film.
Especially worth checking if travelling some distance, and near a town / small airfield.

As per the thread link posted, I got caught with that too, even though the Kimba SA site was in a clear CASA zone.

I’m back from my short trip to Lennox Heads in NSW. Took both drones with me. I went to fly outside the approach/departure zone in DJI mapping but the app still wouldn’t let me launch. I was able to fly my other (non-DJI drone). My question: is it appropriate to post a link to the footage I recorded on this forum. I won’t be offended if no
There has been only one time I have not been able to take off, and a friend with another DJI drone, and that was when we were close to an airport and nowhere near any flight path, trying to take sunrise shots over a beach from a cliff. Other times when further away it just warns you about being in near a flight path.

There has been only one time I have not been able to take off, and a friend with another DJI drone, and that was when we were close to an airport and nowhere near any flight path, trying to take sunrise shots over a beach from a cliff. Other times when further away it just warns you about being in near a flight path.
Weird. I wouldn’t be keen to walk to the Ballina airport - not that close. 😉

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman