DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Approval for Flying in controlled airspace

SkyTime 3

Reactions
Hi all:

I have applied and received approval from the FAA to fly next to the Redmond airport for an RV show in May. I used Airhub to do it, and have these docs on my computer. I have not done this before, so how does it work in the field? When I go to launch my Air 2S, will the controller already know I have approval? I'd like to know before I show up what the process in the field is like. Thanks!

1st step of getting authorization is great. One less thing to deal with. But now you have to apply to DJI to get an unlocking license as the area is almost guaranteed to be geofenced. Once you get the unlocking license, if it's possible (and may require additional authorization for a test date) you should go test the area to make sure that you are properly unlocked. I had one job near a local airport where I had permission to unlock up to 500m and DJI only unlocked one of my two drones to 37m (123') that didn't even extend fully over the property I was flying over. At least I had my other drone or I would have been dead in the water and would not have been able to complete the project for which I was hired.

Reactions: waltermitty

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini