DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are all android devices 'off' by 90-180 degrees?

atxmavic

Reactions
We have tried a (new) Samsung Tablet A, a Samsung Note 5 and a Google Pixel 2 - all are 'off' consistently by 90-180 degrees in the radar dial in the lower-left corner making the units unusable as (visual) controllers - all other indicators/controls are normal. Likewise, we have the same problem with a (2015) iPad Air 2 but a (2017) iPad works flawlessly...

All (firmware/app) versions are current and the same behavior exists with both MP and MA controllers.

Very confused as the Air 2 is a 'supported' configuration and the Note 5 is well-liked/used by other pilots (see link below) - the Pixel is a wild card but the same behavior exists so it is more likely an app problem than a setting problem.

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

Any insight would be appreciated.

(Yes, tried this link too: May have found a method for improving GO4 app stability for Android devices!)

We have tried a (new) Samsung Tablet A, a Samsung Note 5 and a Google Pixel 2 - all are 'off' consistently by 90-180 degrees in the radar dial in the lower-left corner making the units unusable as (visual) controllers - all other indicators/controls are normal. Likewise, we have the same problem with a (2015) iPad Air 2 but a (2017) iPad works flawlessly...

All (firmware/app) versions are current and the same behavior exists with both MP and MA controllers.

Very confused as the Air 2 is a 'supported' configuration and the Note 5 is well-liked/used by other pilots (see link below) - the Pixel is a wild card but the same behavior exists so it is more likely an app problem than a setting problem.

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

Any insight would be appreciated.

(Yes, tried this link too: May have found a method for improving GO4 app stability for Android devices!)
I've had my Samsung S7 do the same multiple times. Before I take off, I rotate the controller with the phone attached in multiple directions, all axis, to calibrate the phone compass and the radar then looks good.

Android devices need to have the gyro calibrated every so often. When installing even an app like “sky map” you will be asked to calibrate. Look up the steps

It's basically just doing a bunch of motions with the device so it can orient itself. While the screen faces you....move the top of the phone up and down while the bottom is stable ( like picking up off a table) , then left to right ( with the bottom in place) and then spin 180 in place, and then figure eights. Do each movement about a dozen times and this should do it.

I’ve always had the issue as long as I’ve had droids, which is about 10 of them now. Not sure why they can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve had multiple IOS devices, and even the old ipod touch had a reliable compass. It just doesn’t seem to be a priority for the builders.

I’ve always had the issue as long as I’ve had droids, which is about 10 of them now. Not sure why they can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve had multiple IOS devices, and even the old ipod touch had a reliable compass. It just doesn’t seem to be a priority for the builders.

When I saw this post I went to Google Maps and it's spot on.

When I saw this post I went to Google Maps and it's spot on.
I've had to recalibrate the compass mostly after attaching the phone to the controller and using it in landscape mode. I think the proximity of the phone to the controller might have something to do with it also. I've made it part of my pre-flight checklist to check the radar screen now. Since doing this, I've had far less issues after takeoff.

I always had the problem. After reading this thread yesterday, I calibrated the compass in Google Maps and the pointer is now in almost the correct position and is very helpful. I had been reluctant to use the Google Maps program to do the recalibration as DJI uses Here Maps. It is irrelevant as the Google Maps calibration worked.

Last edited:
UPDATE: By device... ok, it turns out the Samsung Tablet A does not have a magnetometer (e.g. internal compass) - that would certainly explain why, in continuing my troubleshooting/resolution efforts, that other compass/dependent applications would not work properly if at all. (see: Adding compass sensor to Galaxy Tab A). Great tablet, just can't use it for flying... As for the various phones above, your suggestions were right - calibrating the compass/phone seemed to resolve the problem; thank you. I need to put a laminated reminder in my case so I remember to do it at the field...

Lastly, the iPad Air 2... popular/supported configuration... still 90-180 degrees off although other compass/dependent applications (e.g. Compass Commander) work flawlessly. So I connected it all up again (iPad, MP, RC) just "for grins" - as expected and with the MP facing directly away from me, the (radar dial) arrow pointed right back at me. Curious as to what effect, if any it would have vertically, I rotated it 90 degrees - the entire screen rotated as expected but the arrow was now at 90 degrees (right) versus 180 degrees. So I continued the rotation (same direction) so it was (physically not directionally) 180 degrees off from the original... and then back again... bottom line, after about two full rotations vertical and horizontal, the arrow was spot-on and remained spot-on through multiple, subsequent power on-off/connect-disconnect cycles both with a MP and MA RCs. Evidently the Air 2 needs occasional calibration too...

I haven't been able to take any of the above to the field yet but am optimistic. I'll drop a line here when I do...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom