DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are any drone countermeasures actually legal?

....., a fly fisherman would be able to land one.

Absolutely!! Any Fly fisherman with any experience would have a field day taking one down at a fairly decent distance LOL.

I'd love to "sacrifice" one just for the challenge of it now LOL

Absolutely!! Any Fly fisherman with any experience would have a field day taking one down at a fairly decent distance LOL.

Remember, it's catch and release. Well, release after you copy the contents of the memory card and write down the FAA Pilot ID. Then call the police.

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
I have had neighbors call me and my POA president for flying over their house. Yet, we live in a densely wooded area and this persons house is completely surrounded by trees. Yeah, a good cowboy pilot may be able to get in and do whatever, but I don't mess with trees and fly above them unless there are large openings - which in this case would be the roof of their house. I was also about 200 feet up as well and no spying.
People get kind of crazy in a lot of situations when they really shouldn't be. People today are conditioned to over-react (an understatement) for the silliest of things.

from pictures posted, the privacy fence was about 6' - which is fairly normal for a privacy fence in Texas. The drone was probably hovering around 5'

from pictures posted, the privacy fence was about 6' - which is fairly normal for a privacy fence in Texas. The drone was probably hovering around 5'
If the drone was inside the fence and below the top of the fence, I would have just thrown some twine at it and called the cops to let them sort it out.

Personal opinion, If you see a drone flying over your property and the first thing you think is you are being spied on by someone, I am just going to assume that you are the type that would buy a drone just to spy on people.

My personal view is that anything below about 100 feet could be considered "peeping". I am aware that the FAA claims airspace... ALL airspace, but I think that is going to change in the future. My worry is that they may give some bogus restrictions like "not under 300 feet if over private property"... leaving us with a 100 foot zone to work with - 300 to 400 feet.

As a 107 flyer and at the same time a person who does not want to be pestered or "peeped" on by drones or other ways I would say somewhere in the 75 to 125 foot AGL might be a reasonable limit over private property. My argument there is if a police chopper came overhead, even at 500 feet they could photo/video more detail than we can at 100+ feet.

As to your other question, I suppose you could string fishing line around... but you would also potentially be endangering birds as well... and end up with a bird rehabilitation business??!

I would bet if you read your local peeping tom laws they would lay out what is acceptable and not. I would think they would apply no matter if in the air or on the ground. I mean after all, what if I came up behind your fence on stilts or some kind of a lift and looked over? Would that be an invasion of privacy? I am quite sure it would. I think it might come down to what exactly one is doing (taking photos, video or just looking) and the intent of the individual.

Personal privacy is IMO, a bit of a complicated issue. If I am in a public place I do not expect much, if any privacy. When we are in our homes we expect a certain level of privacy. That being said, what if I am in a public park on a hill... and that hill overlooks private property and I'm up there with my 1000mm 2.8 telephoto lens looking around? Not so clear cut.
String works great.

You just reminded me of the time and and my friend were flying my tello around a field trying to knock it out the air with a flip flop.

Flip flips, are in fact, effective drone countermeasures ?

Personal opinion, If you see a drone flying over your property and the first thing you think is you are being spied on by someone, I am just going to assume that you are the type that would buy a drone just to spy on people.
The OP was about a drone flying at window height, looking into a window, not flying overhead. There is a big difference between flying at 6-8 ft and 200 ft.

Reactions: robowarner
My personal view is that anything below about 100 feet could be considered "peeping". I am aware that the FAA claims airspace... ALL airspace, but I think that is going to change in the future. My worry is that they may give some bogus restrictions like "not under 300 feet if over private property"... leaving us with a 100 foot zone to work with - 300 to 400 feet.

As a 107 flyer and at the same time a person who does not want to be pestered or "peeped" on by drones or other ways I would say somewhere in the 75 to 125 foot AGL might be a reasonable limit over private property. My argument there is if a police chopper came overhead, even at 500 feet they could photo/video more detail than we can at 100+ feet.

As to your other question, I suppose you could string fishing line around... but you would also potentially be endangering birds as well... and end up with a bird rehabilitation business??!

I would bet if you read your local peeping tom laws they would lay out what is acceptable and not. I would think they would apply no matter if in the air or on the ground. I mean after all, what if I came up behind your fence on stilts or some kind of a lift and looked over? Would that be an invasion of privacy? I am quite sure it would. I think it might come down to what exactly one is doing (taking photos, video or just looking) and the intent of the individual.

Personal privacy is IMO, a bit of a complicated issue. If I am in a public place I do not expect much, if any privacy. When we are in our homes we expect a certain level of privacy. That being said, what if I am in a public park on a hill... and that hill overlooks private property and I'm up there with my 1000mm 2.8 telephoto lens looking around? Not so clear cut.
Taking pics,or JUST looking? A CERTAIN level of privacy? Strange thoughts ,a peeping tom would get just deserts, whether there in person or mechanically.

The schmucks who are ruining it for everybody will just go build a drone without Remote ID.. Or fly older drones that do not have it.
Having more and more laws telling you what to do may be fine for some( don't know why, guess they need their hand held) but I try to be responsible for anything I do. Don't want a law. Guess I'm proudly "one of those schmucks.

There is such a thing as common decency. Flying over someone’s property is one thing, hanging out over it is another. I have aircraft of many types over flying my property all the time, including the police chopper that likes to hangout at about 300 to 400 feet AGL on a regular basis. I think I’d much rather they fly a drone over my house than a noisy helicopter.

Reactions: Thomas B
Sorry if this is a self dupe, but I think my anonymous post went to cyber jail.

Reading a drone thread in another forum. OP there has a drone problem. Someone is flying a drone in his back yard below his privacy fence level to look into his house windows. Very likely they are either peeping toms or casing his house for a robbery. I am pro-rc and pro drone - but flying in someone’s back yard so low that a decent dog could try to catch it like a frisbee is just wrong (and after seen what prop strikes can do to a person’s face and hand, I would be livid if my dog got torn up because of some idiots drone). FAA has rules against downing an aircraft. Other than closing his drapes, I am just not sure what that person can do legally. Just curious about opinions on doing something like tying mono to tree limbs to make a personal no-fly zone in a back yard. Pilots like this one are going to ruin the hobby for all of us.
Need to get one of those "net guns", the ones that shoot a 4x weighted net for capturing birds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada