DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are geofencing zones dynamic?

Oconnb910

Reactions
Recently I have taken notice that the zones around my area seem to change on a fairly regular basis. At first I thought maybe I was going a little crazy. But I have definitely confirmed it now and pretty interesting because I used to be totally clear of the take off pattern zones and now I am not.
In fact the zone that is now over my neighborhood is completely out of line with the runways to the airport so I'm curious if this is an error.does anybody know if they actually really respond to error reporting on the authorization?
Also another observation , it seems that it's only affecting my 3 Mavics, but it will let my phantom 4 pro plus fly. All of them are up to date with updates.
25934740f0ce390d0b804017ae271fa1.jpg

That does look very odd, and I suspect an error. The zones around my location are also bogus, I am not sure if they move or not. They do not match up at all with the official air space maps that I am suppose to use to determine where I can fly without formal permission from Transport Canada (The Canadian version of the FAA in the US)

I can only respond in kind with my experience I know that I was flying more than 3.5 miles from the end of a runway on day one I had no problems on day one. However, on day 2 a message popped up stating from Air traffic Control you are inside a zone not permitted to fly I was at the time flying away from the airport at a height of 25 meters which was no problem the day before and I know that I was in excess of 4 miles, not the 3.5 miles as defined by law so it is interesting that you have a similar situation which I have to say was initially unnerving, as the last thing I want is to be breaking the law so I will be watching this topic with interest.

That does look very odd, and I suspect an error. The zones around my location are also bogus, I am not sure if they move or not. They do not match up at all with the official air space maps that I am suppose to use to determine where I can fly without formal permission from Transport Canada (The Canadian version of the FAA in the US)
Just as I thought also! Thanks for verifying your experience relative to mine. I think they better start making these a lot more accurate if they're going to start coming after us for violations of such.

I can only respond in kind with my experience I know that I was flying more than 3.5 miles from the end of a runway on day one I had no problems on day one. However, on day 2 a message popped up stating from Air traffic Control you are inside a zone not permitted to fly I was at the time flying away from the airport at a height of 25 meters which was no problem the day before and I know that I was in excess of 4 miles, not the 3.5 miles as defined by law so it is interesting that you have a similar situation which I have to say was initially unnerving, as the last thing I want is to be breaking the law so I will be watching this topic with interest.
Yep that is exactly what I am saying! As I stated previous I think they need to be a little more accurate and consistent if they are planning down the road of holding us that responsible. And also the other way you make a plan based on these maps and then the map changes. Not fair at all in that regard I used to fly in my neighborhood all the time just testing of course now I can't even do that with my Mavics. At least I can still get my phantom4 pro going at the moment.

I agree on being sure we all are in a legal place to fly, as they will start writing us up. Up here in Canuckville the fines can be high. I am a bit lucky as I well know the airspace where I have my homes and I mostly drone fly. As a IFR general aviation aircraft owner/operator I also have to keep all my maps and databases etc up to date to be legal. If I took off from my small acreage, just west of Calgary, DJI would be fine, Transport Canada could well violate me for an unauthorized flight in Controlled Airspace. I would be wary of the info provided by DJI at this point in time.

Reactions: Oconnb910
Just as I thought also! Thanks for verifying your experience relative to mine. I think they better start making these a lot more accurate if they're going to start coming after us for violations of such.

Who is going to come after you? DJI geofencing zones have no standing in law - they are just an attempt to help people avoid flying potentially dangerous locations.

I am not sure in other locations, so I cannot comment, but in Canada Transport Canada could come after you. In my case the current DJI map shows my Calgary Home in an OK to fly zone, .....but it is not as of June 1st. You need to use the legal airspace maps that are available on-line or in Pilot Supply stores. I do agree the DJI product does give some ‘basic safety’ information, but it is fully up to the drone pilot to insure what they are doing complies with your current drone flight regulations. Wherever you may happen to fly.

Who is going to come after you? DJI geofencing zones have no standing in law - they are just an attempt to help people avoid flying potentially dangerous locations.
Actually that's the reason why I am annoyed! I have been flying in my area close to 3 years, and now all of a sudden I see the Geo zones changing in my area and not coordinating or aligning with the actual airport runways.
As you can see in my first post they totally twisted the no-fly zone for the runway alignments for this airport even though nothing changed!

Actually that's the reason why I am annoyed! I have been flying in my area close to 3 years, and now all of a sudden I see the Geo zones changing in my area and not coordinating or aligning with the actual airport runways.
As you can see in my first post they totally twisted the no-fly zone for the runway alignments for this airport even though nothing changed!

Yes - there are plenty of errors and omissions in the DJI database. Report it and they will fix it.

Reactions: Oconnb910
But while they try to conform you might try AirMap for approval. Works every time for me and response is instant.

Right - but that's a different issue - that's LAANC. DJI geofencing has no direct correlation with LAANC authorization zones.

Reactions: Thomas B
Right - but that's a different issue - that's LAANC. DJI geofencing has no direct correlation with LAANC authorization zones.
Agree wholeheartedly, but... after reading all the posts from folk prevented from flying their drones by DJI software or having to wait days for approval, I have never asked any DJI app and do argue against it.
I do get clearance from LAANC every flight. I am aware that there are a few slow airports and that AirMap doesn’t know about the ones that operate part time and/or limited hours and treats them like 24/7 operations.
Maybe the new version of B4UFly will solve the issues after it’s out of beta testing.

Agree wholeheartedly, but... after reading all the posts from folk prevented from flying their drones by DJI software or having to wait days for approval, I have never asked any DJI app and do argue against it.
I do get clearance from LAANC every flight. I am aware that there are a few slow airports and that AirMap doesn’t know about the ones that operate part time and/or limited hours and treats them like 24/7 operations.
Maybe the new version of B4UFly will solve the issues after it’s out of beta testing.

Right - but DJI zones fall into five basic categories:

Informational - no action required
Acknowledgement - self-unlock but no internet connection or verified account required
Authorization - self-unlock available with an internet connection and verified account
Altitude - no unlock required but altitude limited
Restricted - only unlockable by submitting authorization documentation

Unless they are all referring to restricted zones then I do not understand their problems.

Right - but DJI zones fall into five basic categories:

Informational - no action required
Acknowledgement - self-unlock but no internet connection or verified account required
Authorization - self-unlock available with an internet connection and verified account
Altitude - no unlock required but altitude limited
Restricted - only unlockable by submitting authorization documentation

Unless they are all referring to restricted zones then I do not understand their problems.
Agreed. I believe I was referring to the last category when I spoke of the delays getting clearance from DJI... the ones people wait days on, but could have in seconds with another provider.

Agreed. I believe I was referring to the last category when I spoke of the delays getting clearance from DJI... the ones people wait days on, but could have in seconds with another provider.

Are there any DJI restricted zones that you can get automatic LAANC authorization in? They mostly seem to be the immediate vicinity of airports (zero height LAANC), or facilities such as military bases that are not included in LAANC.

I was flying 22 km or 13 miles from a airport on Mavic said NFZ but on phantom 4 pro nothing but update go figure flying at 30 ft and lower both drones testing for a wedding make sure all good

I flew last weekend, first time for the spot. No problems indicated, flew around a bit, notice some birds diving and flying around the drone, so I brought it down until they cleared the area. Changed battery fired everything up and was now in a NFZ even though I just flown there. Couple of other pilots with me (not flying that day) thought it was bogus, but as I thought about it there is a couple of hospitals that may have been within 5 mile radius. They also do have emergency helicopters that land there with patients. I decided not to fly there anymore just in case. Unless the helicopter was landing on site I was well below tree line on the hills to my north where the hospitals are located. Not sure why I did not
see NFZ on the app or Airmap the night before I flew.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure